“Great stay at the Lumen” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #28 of 190 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersGold level
New Jersey
“Great stay at the Lumen”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

My friend and I were at the Lumen for three nights visiting another friend who lives in Dallas. We chose the Lumen because of the Kimpton name. What a great hotel! We loved being warmly greeted by the reception staff each time we entered the lobby, and were delighted with the smiles and attentiveness of the front entrance valets who were ready and waiting to open doors and wish us a great day. The room itself was spacious, quiet, and nicely decorated, and breakfast in The Front Room restaurant was very tasty, reasonably priced and most enjoyable in a lovely setting. The only thing I missed was an in-room coffee/tea maker, as I like a hot cup of tea late evening and would prefer just to boil water there than order room service for it. There was coffee/tea in the lobby in the morning, though. Overall, three nights, no complaints, would absolutely return to the Lumen and recommend highly!
p.s. Make sure you take the stairs instead of the elevator heading down. I expected the usual enclosed space but was delighted to see a beautiful design that mixed modern with retro!

Room Tip: I did ask for a room away from the elevator and ice machines (as I always do) and it was very quiet...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
AssistantGM, General Manager at Hotel Lumen - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
"Great Stay" This is so cool. I am so glad you had a great stay and we love that you took time to let others know. I also love that you took the stairs to see our hip staircase. It is so fun with the light fixtures and glass. Thank you so much for talking about us. We hope you come back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Almost don't want to let the cat out of the bag...but the Hotel Lumen is a gem. Mario, the manager is super as is the rest of the staff here. Great restaurant and bar as well. My only critique is the gym-could use an upgrade (treadmill and bike are so loud you can't hear the tv).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
I think you just let the "cat out of the bag", but we thank you for that. So great to hear about your stay. I agree about the gym and we are working to get that updated. It may take some time but we hear you. I am glad that Mario treated you well and I will be giving him a big High Five today.
So Cal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I have been staying here for the past 4 years while I had a student attending SMU. I loved this hotel before the expansion and I love it now that everything is done and all is fully up an running and all the details are in place. The rooms in the new tower can be smaller but are a bit more modern and Eco friendly, if that's your thing. The rooms in the original tower are a bit larger and have been updated, but the bathrooms and showers have not redone, which I like. The showers have the standard shower head but they also have cool in wall jets that are great and the shower chamber is very large, fyi no tub. My favorite room is 411 on the top floor with a great view of SMU and towards downtown with a wraparound balcony, very nice. The staff is excellent and have all been there for some time, and they actually remember your name. I have to give a special thank you to Rachael the Genius that made everyone in my party of 10 feel welcome and has always taken great care of my wife and I every time we stay there. She is a great person and will do whatever it takes to make your stay the best it can be. If you going to be needing a place to stay near SMU and the Bush Museum this is it, and if you just want a nice small/medium sized hotel if you visiting Dallas this also an excellent place. I look forward to coming back.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
And we LOVE YOU. Thank you for spending the last four years with us. We hope this doesnt mean you wont be back. We love our SMU parents. Thanks for taking the time to post your review it really means a lot to us and Rachel loves to see her name on Tripadvisor.
Again thank you and please come see us soon.
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My family stays here when they visit me from out of town. It is convenient to my location. We always feel very well taken care of. The restaurant downstairs is amazing. I love the rooms. Great place, great location. We will be staying at the Lumen more often.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
I love you said you "will be staying with us more often. Thats what I like. We are so glad you have had a great time with us. I look forward to seeing you soon.
Sugar Land, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Contemporary In Style with an Ecliptic Balance That Might be Found on a 1940s Ocean Liner , Retro Rat Pack in Service Few Me To The Moon ! Next Time l`ll Pull Up To the Front Entry It Will Be In a Vintage 60`s T-Bird or Cadillac

Room Tip: Chocolate Cake & Strawberries Night Cap !!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
A Vintage 60's T-Bird that would be awesome. I love this review it sure brought a smile to my face today. Thank you so much. Let me know if you do the 60's T-Bird I want to be out front when you pull up!
Biella, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

I spent there 2 days in May while I was traveling around US for business. Design is gorgeous, the rooms are so spacious and comfortable. I loved the bed and big-big shower. Cozy pool even if I haven't used it. On the arrival day I could not find the car entrance...bad signs :( Wonderful breakfast...granola and yogurt...wow! Very nice valet and porter staff, the reception staff could be improved a little bit..when you are near the front desk, it is nice to be greeted from the staff at first. Housekeeping staff was very nice and always greeted me kindly. I will definitively come back next year.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Glad you had a nice stay with us. I wish you would have had time for the pool it is great. Maybe next time. Sorry to hear about the front desk experience this is usually our high point of most guests. Come back soon so you can get the welcome you deserve. Thanks for talking about us and sharing your review. Bring the bathing suit on the next visit you have to take a dip.
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in a room for ONE night, We checked out a couple of hours before check out and got our receipt from the front desk and we're told to come back. We then noticed after we checked the bank account that we had a $250 charge and a $7 charge. When we called and asked why we we're told it was a hold and it would be taken off, The next day when we called again they told us we had trashed the room and had been smoking and they knew this because of customer complaints. My boyfriend and I are NOT SMOKERS nor did we leave the room a mess. We didn't even sit on the couch in the room, we only were there to sleep. After we asked to talked to a manager and had to call three times because they kept hanging up the manager then told us that they have " video" of us smoking. My first thought was why do they have a camera in the room and my second thought was why wasn't anything mentioned when we checked out. We we're also charged $7 for almonds that we didn't eat. We didnt eat anything that was offered to us in the room. This hotel is the worst time I've ever had with a hotel. We we're also told that we wouldn't be getting our money back, Their housekeepers must like having themselves a party when people leave early or the management just sucks.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sorry to hear about this review. I beleive our team did speak with your boyfriend. I am more than willing to speak with him myself in reference to the smoking as it would not be appropriate to have this conversation on Tripadvisor.

Been to Hotel Lumen - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!