“Nice hotel. Perfect for SMU” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6101 Hillcrest Avenue, Dallas, TX 75205   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #26 of 190 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersGold level
“Nice hotel. Perfect for SMU”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Hotel is right across the street from SMU. Valet only parking. Outdoor heated pool. Nice bar/restaurant area. Supper was good but not too impressed with the breakfast. Rooms are clean, comfortable, nice big windows, quiet. Our room had a mini fridge but no coffee-maker (apparently they offer coffee downstairs in lobby area), and no in-room microwave. l Would stay again if going to a SMU function.

• Stayed May 2013
AssistantGM, General Manager at Hotel Lumen - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Hello, I am so glad we were a great fit for your visit to SMU. You are correct we do not have coffee makers in the rooms but we do offer the best, coolest, hippest coffee service in the morning so we can all get together to start our day. But next time if you would like a coffee maker just let us know as we do have them upon request. Thanks for the review and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Tucson
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I've stayed in numerous Kimpton hotels, and this is by far the most disappointing.

I've stayed at the Lumen three times. The first two it was under renovation, so I made allowances, but that's done now and it is still below acceptable standards. The rooms are nicely appointed but small (common in Kimpton chain) but the halls are dark and dingy, the fitness center and business center are both rudimentary, the air conditioning is noisy and the restaurant is uninspiring.

SPECIAL WARNING FOR VERIZON CUSTOMERS: the hotel is in a weak spot in Verizon's coverage, and the way the building is configured many of the rooms get absolutely no Verizon reception.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Disappointing.... Ouch I am sorry we did not meet your expectations since the renovation. I hope that you will give us anohter chance as we are always looking to take what guest say and imporve on all comments. Please feel free to reach out to me in the future if you will be coming back to Dallas. We have great suites that I think would be great for the size of room you are looking for. I hope you give us another try.
Norman, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Directly across the street from SMU. If you get a room facing the campus, it can get a little loud. Room was very clean and hotel staff were terrific. Hotel is valet parking only and parking is $13 a night. Its in a very safe location. My room was well appointed and very clean. However, housekeeping did not inventory the mini-bar before I checked in, so upon check out, I got charged for a bunch of stuff that wasn't mine. But the clerk was very friendly and took all of the charges off. The doors shut super loud and the walls are thin. Room service menu was okay, and service was really fast. I guess they have older mattresses, because the bed was lumpy.

My friend slept on the pull out bed and there were hairs from a specific bodily location, and they weren't hers....kinda gross.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
I am glad you enjoyed your stay. But sorry to hear about the lumpy mattress and the other issues your guest had. I have spoken will all staff members involved and our linen company as well. But so glad you enjoyed room service and that it was fast. I love FAST FOOD!!!!
We hope to see you again very soon!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

The lobby area is beautiful and elegant. We had a quick and easy check-in and the staff was very friendly. The rooms are spacious and tasteful. We got a fantastic and huge shower stall. The free wine happy hour is lovely. Although we miss it on the second day of our stay, the staff at the reception insisted to serve us a glass of wine from free after the happy hour was over. The hotel restaurant is also well decorated and the food is good. Although it's mostly comfort food, it was very tasty. I particularly recommend the meat loaf and the banana pudding. The internet connection was good and free. The parking valets were very sweet and efficient but the parking daily rates were a bit expensive. It should have been free.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Now this is the type of review I like. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Please come back soon! Glad you enjoyed your stay.
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

First of all - I normally really enjoy my Kimpton experiences but the Lumen broke my streak. I was staying in Dallas for 5 nights at the Lumen for work. The lobby is cool and I was feeling good about it until I got to my room. The room itself was fine but I tried to use my cell phone and no service for Verizon. I went down to the front desk and they informed me that Verizon has basically no service in the old building which is where I am staying. I asked if I could switch buildings since I was there for work (using my cell phone constantly) and there for five nights. There were no rooms available in the other buildings. Needless to say - it was very annoying to have to go to the lobby any time I needed to make a call.

I get up at 5:30am the first morning to get to a meeting on time and turn on the shower. There is some sort of red stuff next to the drain that appears to be blood and there are a few tiles missing on the ground where there is now mold growing. I had to be in my car by 6am so straddled the shower drain and took a VERY quick shower. I let the front desk know as I left and they said they would have the housekeeper deep clean my shower. I did get a message in my room when I got back that evening. The red stuff was just a stain not blood. Where I was relieved - I thought it odd that they were fine with just leaving it there. Couldn't they use bleach and clean it or but white caulk over it?

These two issues really overshadowed any positive experiences I had and I will not be staying again at the Lumen. They obviously focused more on the public spaces than they did on the rooms.

Room Tip: if you have to stay here - make sure you ask for the new building
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hello, Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear about your concerns you had during your stay. I have addressed this with our housekeeping team about the drain. We dont use bleach because it is so harsh for other guest but we have found a new product that we LOVE and it is taking care of the hard water staines around the drain. I hope that when you come back you will give us anohter try so we can show you we can give you A GREAT Kimpton experience.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Just across from the SMU campus, this modern hotel is a gem This Is a spare tasteful modern hotel, the huge shower was actually in the bedroom, you could pull a curtain or watch television as you showered. very tastefully done in earth tones and bold prints. the staff is most helpful, they have a wine happy hour with surprisingly nice wines. The hotel has an outdoor swimming pool and I saw a number of pets and children so it is obviously friendly to both. wifi in rooms, television but no premium channels. the Kimpton hotels are very upscale and quite nice. importantly the rooms were quiet.

Room Tip: some rooms overlook the pool area.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
You took the words right out of my mouth. Thank you!!!
denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The staff at the Lumen are friendly and responsive. The rooms are nice, and have an interesting layout, but there is a bit a noise depending on your location. My room was very close to the conference rooms and it was noisy starting at 6:30am. Room service didn't answer the phone or respond during one of the days i was there. The food at the restaurant is very good. I love the location if you are doing busines in Highland Park or Dallas. Overall, good hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Mostly good experience? Well please come back and lets make sure we give you a Great Experience. Thank you for taking time to let others know about your stay.

Been to Hotel Lumen - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!