“Clean and Convienant” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Norman, Oklahoma
“Clean and Convienant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Directly across the street from SMU. If you get a room facing the campus, it can get a little loud. Room was very clean and hotel staff were terrific. Hotel is valet parking only and parking is $13 a night. Its in a very safe location. My room was well appointed and very clean. However, housekeeping did not inventory the mini-bar before I checked in, so upon check out, I got charged for a bunch of stuff that wasn't mine. But the clerk was very friendly and took all of the charges off. The doors shut super loud and the walls are thin. Room service menu was okay, and service was really fast. I guess they have older mattresses, because the bed was lumpy.

My friend slept on the pull out bed and there were hairs from a specific bodily location, and they weren't hers....kinda gross.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
AssistantGM, General Manager at Hotel Lumen - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
I am glad you enjoyed your stay. But sorry to hear about the lumpy mattress and the other issues your guest had. I have spoken will all staff members involved and our linen company as well. But so glad you enjoyed room service and that it was fast. I love FAST FOOD!!!!
We hope to see you again very soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

The lobby area is beautiful and elegant. We had a quick and easy check-in and the staff was very friendly. The rooms are spacious and tasteful. We got a fantastic and huge shower stall. The free wine happy hour is lovely. Although we miss it on the second day of our stay, the staff at the reception insisted to serve us a glass of wine from free after the happy hour was over. The hotel restaurant is also well decorated and the food is good. Although it's mostly comfort food, it was very tasty. I particularly recommend the meat loaf and the banana pudding. The internet connection was good and free. The parking valets were very sweet and efficient but the parking daily rates were a bit expensive. It should have been free.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Now this is the type of review I like. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Please come back soon! Glad you enjoyed your stay.
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

First of all - I normally really enjoy my Kimpton experiences but the Lumen broke my streak. I was staying in Dallas for 5 nights at the Lumen for work. The lobby is cool and I was feeling good about it until I got to my room. The room itself was fine but I tried to use my cell phone and no service for Verizon. I went down to the front desk and they informed me that Verizon has basically no service in the old building which is where I am staying. I asked if I could switch buildings since I was there for work (using my cell phone constantly) and there for five nights. There were no rooms available in the other buildings. Needless to say - it was very annoying to have to go to the lobby any time I needed to make a call.

I get up at 5:30am the first morning to get to a meeting on time and turn on the shower. There is some sort of red stuff next to the drain that appears to be blood and there are a few tiles missing on the ground where there is now mold growing. I had to be in my car by 6am so straddled the shower drain and took a VERY quick shower. I let the front desk know as I left and they said they would have the housekeeper deep clean my shower. I did get a message in my room when I got back that evening. The red stuff was just a stain not blood. Where I was relieved - I thought it odd that they were fine with just leaving it there. Couldn't they use bleach and clean it or but white caulk over it?

These two issues really overshadowed any positive experiences I had and I will not be staying again at the Lumen. They obviously focused more on the public spaces than they did on the rooms.

Room Tip: if you have to stay here - make sure you ask for the new building
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hello, Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear about your concerns you had during your stay. I have addressed this with our housekeeping team about the drain. We dont use bleach because it is so harsh for other guest but we have found a new product that we LOVE and it is taking care of the hard water staines around the drain. I hope that when you come back you will give us anohter try so we can show you we can give you A GREAT Kimpton experience.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Just across from the SMU campus, this modern hotel is a gem This Is a spare tasteful modern hotel, the huge shower was actually in the bedroom, you could pull a curtain or watch television as you showered. very tastefully done in earth tones and bold prints. the staff is most helpful, they have a wine happy hour with surprisingly nice wines. The hotel has an outdoor swimming pool and I saw a number of pets and children so it is obviously friendly to both. wifi in rooms, television but no premium channels. the Kimpton hotels are very upscale and quite nice. importantly the rooms were quiet.

Room Tip: some rooms overlook the pool area.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
You took the words right out of my mouth. Thank you!!!
denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The staff at the Lumen are friendly and responsive. The rooms are nice, and have an interesting layout, but there is a bit a noise depending on your location. My room was very close to the conference rooms and it was noisy starting at 6:30am. Room service didn't answer the phone or respond during one of the days i was there. The food at the restaurant is very good. I love the location if you are doing busines in Highland Park or Dallas. Overall, good hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Mostly good experience? Well please come back and lets make sure we give you a Great Experience. Thank you for taking time to let others know about your stay.
Fayetteville, AR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Although conveniently located in mid-Dallas (across the street from SMU), this hotel is amazingly quiet. Excellent shopping and dining is available within walking distance. Our room was spacious, comfortable and nicely appointed. The staff, especially the valet staff, was friendly and helpful. The front desk knew us by name and preferences. We received our usual New York Times delivered to the door. Complimentary wine was served in the lobby in the evening. We like to stay at Kimpton properties when we travel, and this one met all of our expectations.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
This is what makes my day! Thank you and we cant wait to see you again..
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My family and I recently stayed at this amazing luxury hotel for out visit to Six Flags over Texas and we enjoyed it very much. The valet service at the entrance was very responsive to every request we made of them, especially after we had to ask them repeatedly to return to the car after it was parked because of the items my Wife couldn't remember to bring to the room before we handed it over. The front desk is very knowledgeable about the area and they have plenty of suggestions of what to do with the family or your significant other around Dallas. The room itself was much better than I had expected from the personal pictures that are on various websites. Being so close to Southern Methodist University brings much of the college crowd and scene to the area, if you like that type of atmosphere. There are hotels closer to Six Flags if that is your destination in Dallas, but the Hotel Lumen being 10 - 15 minutes away will not deter us from returning. This place will be on the top of the list next time we need a place to stay when we make it back to Dallas in the future. Being a pet friendly place is a plus and next time we may bring our little girl Skky to say with us.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
I am so thrilled you had a great time visiting Dallas and Six Flags. And your reivew for us is better than any theme park ride!!!! And make sure Skky comes next time.