“Nice boutique hotel experience.” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #27 of 188 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersGold level
Nebraska
“Nice boutique hotel experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I recently stayed here for 4 nights with a family of four (children ages 14 and 10). We stayed in the Grand Lux Suite. Overall, the hotel, its amenities, and service were first rate and I would stay here again on future visits to Dallas. The hotel is conveniently located to downtown Dallas, Northpark Mall, many fast food (In’n’Out Burger, Torchy’s Tacos are a must) and fine dining (Al Biernat’s is the place we tried).
ROOM
I thought the Grand Lux Suite was nice for a family of four. It was essentially a two-room suite with a bathroom in the middle. One side had a king bed and a queen sofa/hide-a-bed with a large television that hung from the ceiling and could be turned for viewing whether in bed or on the sofa. The entire wall was floor to ceiling windows and had automatic switches for opening and closing both the shades and “black-out shades”. The other side had a mini-bar, small fridge (this might have been put in there for us as I mentioned the need when making reservations), a small hi-top dining table, and a large sectional sofa around a big coffee table. There was also another large tv on a console table and the floor to ceiling windows with automatic drapes. The bathroom had a single large sink (a trendy 3 footer), a large tub, and a glassed-in shower with a bench seat. We never used the tub, but the shower was great. I started filling the tub up once for a bath, but the water was yellow. I know the rooms were recently renovated and I am chalking that up to the fact that the water needed to run for a while to clear out the pipes (although I passed on the bath at that point). The sink, toilet, and shower water was fine. Positives: size; condition of furniture; décor; cleanliness; hard-surfaced floors; lots of closet space. Negatives: fair amount of street noise through the windows; poor lighting in the bedroom half of suite; uncomfortable mattress on hide-a-bed; loud fan from heating/ac unit (would be nice to have a low-fan setting – which I could not find on any of the suite’s three thermostats).
POOL, EXERCISE ROOM
With kids, the pool was an important factor in our decision to stay here. We stayed over the New-Years holiday and it happened to be during a cold stretch of weather (highs in the lower 40’s). I knew the pool was open year round and was heated, but was pleased to find out that it was covered in a tent during the winter months. This allowed for a more comfortable use of the pool. The temperature of the water the first 3 days was great (quite warm), but on the 4th day, they adjusted it down so that it was uncomfortably cold. I asked about it and the staff apologized and explained they were trying to get the temperature to the point where there was less steam in the tent. They told me they would adjust it back up for us, but it did not warm up when we tried it later in the day. The kids were swimming 2 – 3 times a day so that was a bit of a letdown for them.
I used the exercise room twice. There are two treadmills, one elliptical machine, and two bikes. There was a tv, towels, water (but no cups). The machines were older and it would be nice to see these replaced with newer equipment. There was a enough room for a multi-station gym, but they only had a bench and a small set of vinyl covered dumbbells (from about 1 – 6 pounds). I think they can/should improve the exercise facility.
RESTAURANT
We just ate once in the restaurant. I had the jalapeno cornbread appetizer and the fish tacos. The cornbread was great. The tacos were okay. My wife had the short ribs, which she thought were decent, but not exceptional. My daughter had pancakes and sausage and they were both very good. The wine and liquor selection is good and all of the staff very friendly and professional. We sat at the bar and received good service from the bartender “Jackie”. Although the food was good, it was a bit too eclectic for me. I think breakfast here would have been fantastic (considering the gourmet pancakes and sausage my daughter had), but we did not get the chance to dine in the hotel for breakfast. I understood the menu was going to be revised and I think that might help the overall appeal of the restaurant.
STAFF/VALET/HOUSEKEEPING
Everyone at the front desk was top-notch. We were often greeted back when returning from an excursion. The front-desk staff , “Ashley” and “Kaylee” were there the most during our stay and were very friendly, engaging my children in conversation and activity (hula-hooping), which was nice and made the stay memorable for my daughter. The valet was fantastic. I don’t think it ever took more than 60 seconds to retrieve our vehicle. They were that fast. Also, the valets were very friendly and took good care of our vehicle. In addition, “Braden” and “Josh” were available to run you to dinner and shops in the Lumen’s SUV and were great hosts. Housekeeping did a good job and was friendly.

Room Tip: If noise while sleeping is a potential concern, request a room that does not front Hillcrest Street.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed at this property about a dozen times over the last several years. The staff is great, and they treat everyone with respect and friendliness. It is one of a few nicer hotels that allow us to bring our dog. This last trip we stayed in the grand lux suite on the third floor. This is located on the newer side and was beautiful with hardwood floors and blackout automatic blinds. The only downside is the newer side does seem to pick up more road noise and the front picks up the valet / customer chatter. Overall a great hotel!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed here in November 2012. Nice place. Fairly sleek and modern (although it seems like a building that was not originally a hotel). My room was on the back side of the building, so it was pretty quiet (the rooms facing Hillcrest, if there are any, might have some noise issues). The room was small but adequate. The shower (there was no tub) was not in a separate room, but rather in the bedroom itself -- separated by a thin, semi-transparent(?) curtain. That didn't bother me, although I think it might bother some. The closet was too small, especially given that it also housed the safe and, as I recall, the minibar. No iron and ironing board are provided, although when I called, they were delivered very quickly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
AssistantGM, General Manager at Hotel Lumen - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Hello and thank you for the time to talk about your stay. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and I wanted to send you an update that since your stay we have changed the sheer curtain to a solid to give more privacy. You are correct that we do not have the irons or ironing boards in the room but do have them available for delivery to every room. To answer one of your questions the original building has always been a hotel but it is nothing like its original state. We look forward to having you back and look forward to seeing you again. Once again thank you for your feedback.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

This is a typical hotel designed for people who talk about the vibe of a hotel rather than its comfort or pleasantness. The staff is right in line with this philosophy: nice, friendly people who don't really know how to work in a hotel. The bartender forgot about my order then got it wrong. When you walk into the room your first challenge is to find the lights because there aren't any switches near the doors. You have to go to each individual fixture and figure out how to turn it on. The bathroom doors require constant movement to gain access to the toilet or the sink. The drapes don't close all the way. I would at least expect a place that caters to undiscriminating hipsters to facilitate the charging of electronic devices but this place is no better than your usual hotel in that regard. The plugs are inconveniently placed behind the bed or by the sink. On the plus side it is clean.

• Stayed November 2012
Hello, Thank you so much for taking the time to let others know about your past stay. I am sorry to hear that you were not pleased with your stay. I will address the experience in the restaurant with the General Manager and I have also made notes of your comments about the rooms. I will also speak with our front desk staff as well. I hope that you may come back and try us again as we have many room types that may be more suitable for your next stay. I again thank you for all of your comments and it truly helps us grow as a hotel to understand the needs of all of our guests. Thank you.
Midland Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Was lucky enough to spend 5 glorious nights at this amazing property in Mid-November. This hotel exceeded all expectations and no matter why you are in Dallas, the location is amazing and the staff and attention to details make it your home away from home.
First, it all begins with the Staff - and they were remarkable. From Kaley/Rachel/Ashley/Nikki to Mario and the valets, incredible staff. Housekeeping was amazing - rooms were immaculate (and I have a penchant for clean rooms). Tom from room service was extremely friendly and service was quick. Can't say enough about this incredible staff.
My room was located in the older section of the hotel (3rd floor) and never once heard a door banging or anyone stirring (though there were nights the hotel was sold out). And, oh my, the beds... the best sleep I've had in months. Linens were of high quality and the mattress coupled with the amazing pillows, made me want to stay in bed all day. Glad I didn't though, as it was great attending the wine hour every night and meeting new people, as well as spending some quiet time on the rooftop deck and last, but not least, in the Front Room - the restaurant and bar associated with the hotel.
Jackie, Creighton and Moses are superb bar tenders. Great mojito's, martini's and even some specialties that they brewed up including "the Garden variety" with jalapeno. Great wine selection and bar service was simply, outstanding.
Some disappointment in the food but I understand they are going through a food overhaul. Edith was an amazing server, as was everyone else in the restaurant. I think a pre-requisite of working at the Kimpton is that you have to have terrific personalities and look good too! Can't say a bad thing about anyone.
If you are going to Dallas on business or pleasure, I highly recommend the Lumen. Centrally located and easy to get around + this hotel has the ambience to relax you after a day doing whatever you are doing. Oh - and the pool area - amazing!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. It is so nice to see that you had an amazing stay. We will try to keep it the Best Kept Secret but word is getting out. I want to thank you so much for taking time to let others know about your stay. I will also make sure that everyone you mentioned sees your comments and I will personally let them know how proud I am of their amazing work. We look forward to having you back soon and again thank you so much.
Elverson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Lumen Hotel the weekend of November 9-10, 2012 to visit my brother, who is on the faculty at SMU. He suggested we stay at this hotel due to its close proximity to the campus and the building where he teaches and has his office.

I think we were in the newer wing. Our room was on the right front part of the building as you look at it from Hillcrest Avenue. In general, we really enjoyed our stay. We did find the food at The Front Room a little over-priced. But then, perhaps all restaurants connected to "boutique" hotels are pricey. We only ate one breakfast at the Lumen as there are many other places to eat within a 10-minute walk of the hotel. Our food was good and the oatmeal was incredible. I don't think I have ever eaten such sweet and juicy red raspberries before.

One comment that I read over and over in reviews was that the room didn't have a window or was small. The hotel lists not only the amenities but also the size of each room offered. The least expensive rooms are advertised as having no window. And dimensions of each room should allow each prospective guest to figure out if the room they are booking is big enough.

We started out with a reservation for a Queen Deluxe room, but took advantage of a three-day sale in early December to upgrade to an Imperial room with two double beds. The room was large, the shower did not look out into the room and we had a nice street view. We heard a few doors closing on Saturday night, but I have heard louder doors in other hotels.

The wine tasting hour, which we enjoyed on Friday, was a lot of fun and both of the Canyon Road wines we sampled were excellent. I enjoyed the pool Saturday afternoon. It had been warm for several days before we arrived so the water was a perfect temperature. Sunday morning I borrowed a bike (complimentary) and found the Katy Trail, which took me into the city, ending at the American Building. It was about a 4-mile ride round-trip, picturesque and flat.

We agree with most other reviewers that the beds were super-soft. Perhaps that is why we didn't hear slamming doors. We were told the the hotel was completely booked that weekend.

We would stay at this hotel again. Jody P

Room Tip: Be sure to study the website so you know what you are getting. Larger rooms are not that much more...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
I am so glad to hear that you had a great time with us. I am also glad you liked the location. It is true if you are going to SMU its right across the street. I am also glad to hear you took one of our bikes out for a spin. WOW you went all the way downtown? That is great. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with others. I truly appreciate the feedback and the great comments you made. We hope to see you soon.
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Great part of DFW to stay and play. The dogs are always welcome and we love that. Beds are great and the place is nice. 4th floor rooms with wrap around balconies are nice. Great little pool area and rooftop terrace for parties.

Room Tip: Ask for a 4th fllor room with a balcony facing SMU and Hillcrest. Can beat it!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Lumen - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!