“Best Kept Secret in Dallas - sshhh....” 5 of 5 stars

Step Up Summer: 15% Off
Ranked #26 of 188 hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersGold level
Midland Texas
“Best Kept Secret in Dallas - sshhh....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Was lucky enough to spend 5 glorious nights at this amazing property in Mid-November. This hotel exceeded all expectations and no matter why you are in Dallas, the location is amazing and the staff and attention to details make it your home away from home.
First, it all begins with the Staff - and they were remarkable. From Kaley/Rachel/Ashley/Nikki to Mario and the valets, incredible staff. Housekeeping was amazing - rooms were immaculate (and I have a penchant for clean rooms). Tom from room service was extremely friendly and service was quick. Can't say enough about this incredible staff.
My room was located in the older section of the hotel (3rd floor) and never once heard a door banging or anyone stirring (though there were nights the hotel was sold out). And, oh my, the beds... the best sleep I've had in months. Linens were of high quality and the mattress coupled with the amazing pillows, made me want to stay in bed all day. Glad I didn't though, as it was great attending the wine hour every night and meeting new people, as well as spending some quiet time on the rooftop deck and last, but not least, in the Front Room - the restaurant and bar associated with the hotel.
Jackie, Creighton and Moses are superb bar tenders. Great mojito's, martini's and even some specialties that they brewed up including "the Garden variety" with jalapeno. Great wine selection and bar service was simply, outstanding.
Some disappointment in the food but I understand they are going through a food overhaul. Edith was an amazing server, as was everyone else in the restaurant. I think a pre-requisite of working at the Kimpton is that you have to have terrific personalities and look good too! Can't say a bad thing about anyone.
If you are going to Dallas on business or pleasure, I highly recommend the Lumen. Centrally located and easy to get around + this hotel has the ambience to relax you after a day doing whatever you are doing. Oh - and the pool area - amazing!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
AssistantGM, General Manager at Hotel Lumen - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. It is so nice to see that you had an amazing stay. We will try to keep it the Best Kept Secret but word is getting out. I want to thank you so much for taking time to let others know about your stay. I will also make sure that everyone you mentioned sees your comments and I will personally let them know how proud I am of their amazing work. We look forward to having you back soon and again thank you so much.

202 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Elverson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Lumen Hotel the weekend of November 9-10, 2012 to visit my brother, who is on the faculty at SMU. He suggested we stay at this hotel due to its close proximity to the campus and the building where he teaches and has his office.

I think we were in the newer wing. Our room was on the right front part of the building as you look at it from Hillcrest Avenue. In general, we really enjoyed our stay. We did find the food at The Front Room a little over-priced. But then, perhaps all restaurants connected to "boutique" hotels are pricey. We only ate one breakfast at the Lumen as there are many other places to eat within a 10-minute walk of the hotel. Our food was good and the oatmeal was incredible. I don't think I have ever eaten such sweet and juicy red raspberries before.

One comment that I read over and over in reviews was that the room didn't have a window or was small. The hotel lists not only the amenities but also the size of each room offered. The least expensive rooms are advertised as having no window. And dimensions of each room should allow each prospective guest to figure out if the room they are booking is big enough.

We started out with a reservation for a Queen Deluxe room, but took advantage of a three-day sale in early December to upgrade to an Imperial room with two double beds. The room was large, the shower did not look out into the room and we had a nice street view. We heard a few doors closing on Saturday night, but I have heard louder doors in other hotels.

The wine tasting hour, which we enjoyed on Friday, was a lot of fun and both of the Canyon Road wines we sampled were excellent. I enjoyed the pool Saturday afternoon. It had been warm for several days before we arrived so the water was a perfect temperature. Sunday morning I borrowed a bike (complimentary) and found the Katy Trail, which took me into the city, ending at the American Building. It was about a 4-mile ride round-trip, picturesque and flat.

We agree with most other reviewers that the beds were super-soft. Perhaps that is why we didn't hear slamming doors. We were told the the hotel was completely booked that weekend.

We would stay at this hotel again. Jody P

Room Tip: Be sure to study the website so you know what you are getting. Larger rooms are not that much more...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
I am so glad to hear that you had a great time with us. I am also glad you liked the location. It is true if you are going to SMU its right across the street. I am also glad to hear you took one of our bikes out for a spin. WOW you went all the way downtown? That is great. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with others. I truly appreciate the feedback and the great comments you made. We hope to see you soon.
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Great part of DFW to stay and play. The dogs are always welcome and we love that. Beds are great and the place is nice. 4th floor rooms with wrap around balconies are nice. Great little pool area and rooftop terrace for parties.

Room Tip: Ask for a 4th fllor room with a balcony facing SMU and Hillcrest. Can beat it!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Have stayed at Lumen a number of times. The hotel has been recently renovated. Kudos to Kimpton for adding a very cool vibe, nice pool, great restaurant (I believe it is independently owned), and trying to create a great small hotel. Location remains outstanding. Close enough to downtown and to Greenville Avenue to enjoy, right next to SMU, and sitting in the midst of Dallas' high-end neighborhood Highland Park. Unfortunately, the hotel is noisy. Many rooms have a view of a cinder block wall, thus resulting in a dark room. Additionally, the shower is located in most rooms facing the bedroom. I guess if you are alone it is ok, but when traveling with anyone else it is just plain strange. Overall I am going to give the Lumen an "A" for effort and a "C" for results.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for saying we are Cool. I want to also thank you for taking the time to let tripavisor know about your stay. You are correct that some of our King bedded rooms have a shower facing into the bedroom space however we now have a full curtain that seperates the two areas for more privacy. We are continuing to learn from guest comments and we love to hear your feedback thank you so much and we hope you will come back to our "Cool" hotel soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Third stay for us at the Lumen and I have to say I was more aware of the little things this time that keep the hotel from getting a "very good" rating. As mentioned below, the walls are thin and noise is a factor. The sound of opening and closing doors up and down the hall seems to rocket through the corridors. The hotel has expanded and almost doubled its size, though, and it could be that the new wing is better (we were in the original hotel wing). The so-called "king deluxe" room is quite small and dominated by the bed and a huge chair. There is a tiny closet and no other storage. It's a great room for a single traveler but cramped for a couple staying for several days and equipped for several changes of clothes. On the plus side, the new roof deck is amazing and a great place to spend a warm autumn afternoon. The new lobby is airy and beautiful. The lobby bar is ample and the service was good there. The Lumen is great for proximity to SMU. Just know that if you're choosing it for that reason, you'll be making some tradeoffs.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
We truly appreciate your honest feedback and I always appreciate the opinions of our guests. I am glad to hear that for the most part you enjoyed your stay. I hope you will give us another opportunity and maybe check out the many other rooms types we have such as a suite that might give you the space you are looking for. I am also glad to hear you enjoyed our rooftop. Please come back and give us another chance. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Kimpton does a very good job, and they've done so here. Very comfortable rooms and personable service. Cool decor and ambience.

But, on the negative side, the rooms are small, and the walls are thin, exposing sounds from the hallway and other rooms. They've done nice work, transforming the awful old Park Cities Inn, but they should've been more generous in reconstructing the rooms.

If you want to be near SMU, this is a desirable pick.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Powell, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

First off, I love Kimpton hotels. Lumen is another fun, boutique type hotel. It had a very reasonable rate and friendly staff. It loses a star because while it is on SMU's campus there is nothing around it worth walking to. Also, the shower is great, but it is completely exposed so if you are staying with a friend or kids, there is no privacy. I was lame, so it was fine.

The bed was very comfortable and I had a great night's sleep. Very reasonable, comfortable stay.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Lumen - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!