“Overrated” 3 of 5 stars

Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dallas, Texas
“Overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

#4 on Tripadvisor in Dallas? Hard to believe. I must say that the place is worth a visit, and in fact is the only place I've heard of that has soufflés as specialty.

The menu is short, but ask for a table of cheese to share and a soufflé. Be careful, the escargot (snails) soufflé is smaller than the others, but is really good.

The decor is pretty cool, and the service is OK. Nice place for a romantic dinner, or for a casual gathering of friends.

Negative: pricey place. No cocktails, expensive wine list; you will end up spending more on a bottle of wine than on the food.

Los Angeles
“Oustanding Souffles”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We went on a Friday night straight from the airport. We had about a 15-20 minute wait around 8 PM which was reasonable. My girlfriend and I LOVE souffles and Rise No 1 makes very good ones. We knew we were going to have both an entree and dessert souffle so didn't order any appetizers. I have to agree with the other reviewers that the servers do try and upsell. Not a problem for us as we just declined the strong suggestion for an appetizer.

I had the crab souffle [seasonal] and there wasn't a bite left. For dessert I had the praline souffle and my friend had the pumpkin souffle. Again both wonderful. We were about halfway done with the dessert souffles when another pumpkin souffle showed up. Seems the kitchen didn't think the first one looked perfect so they sent out another one. We were stunned as we hadn't noticed anything wrong with it.

We were stuffed when we came out of there. I would definitely go back next time in Dallas!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dallas
“Service without smile”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Let me first say that my wife and I LOVE Rise. Or at least did. We would go every few weeks for the past 2 years, but our last 2 visits have been down right poor.

The food as always was outstanding, but the service was miserable. Our most recent experience we went in for an early dinner/snack at around 5:30. Only 6 or 7 tables were seated so we thought we should be able to get in and out as we were only planning to have a glass of wine and a cheese plate. Well we were wrong. It took them 2 hours to get us cheese. 2 HOURS FOR CHEESE! Not only was the wait unacceptable, each of the servers that were waiting on us (and there were multiple) we barely saw. I had to multiple times get up and find someone just to get a water refill. Once we finally got someone to wait on us, they were annoyed that they had to deal with us. When we finally did get our cheese snack, we didn't receive an apology or any sort of explanation why we had to wait so long.

Now every once and a while a restaurant has a bad night and that happens, but we had bad service a month before that. Similar situation where we had to wait an absurd amount of time for the basics.

For those visiting this restaurant, expect to wait for almost everything. The food is great, but the service is miserable. Try to get seated with a server that has some experience under their belt.

This was one of our favorites but I dont know if it will apart of our restaurant rotation anymore..........

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Tx
“Marshmallow Soup”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The marshmallow soup is now my favorite.....it is a carrot and tomato bisque with cheese that looks like 2 marshmallows. It is amazing.

Visited August 2012
Ontario
“Great first time experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Never had a soufflé before this experience. My husband and I needed a place for brunch and decided this would be someone unique to check out during our weekend in Dallas. We decided to sit outside in their covered patio as we have subzero weather in Canada compared to the 30 degree celcius weather in Texas. Our server was a little awkward, but thank goodness for her explanation of the marshmallow soup because otherwise we would've been grossed out and skipped out on it. She was nice and split the portion into 2 smaller portions for us, and it's quite delicious. My husband got the spicy sausage soufflé and I got the ham and gruyere; both were delcious. I got the iced latte too and that was great too. Their soufflés are super fluffy; I'm sure it's not easy to make them fluff up like that but after this experience I definitely want to try it at home. We were pretty full by the end, surprisingly. I would definitely come here again if I have the chance. Great unique breakfast choice!