“BAD PLACE TO STAY.....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of La Quinta Inn & Suites Dalhart

You added La Quinta Inn & Suites Dalhart to your Saves list
La Quinta Inn & Suites Dalhart
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   801 Liberal Street, Dalhart, TX 79022 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Dalhart
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ogallala, Nebraska
“BAD PLACE TO STAY.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

We had two rooms reserved at this motel for April 9, 2011. One room was for elderly parents the other room was a free night stay, Holiday Inn Sweet dilema promotion. When we got to the motel it took us 55 minutes to check in. The manager had told the person working the check in counter NOT to honor our free night stay. We had copy of our reservation showing FREE NIGHT. The manager was called and we were told by manager they wouldn't honor the free night. Manager wouldn't come to the front desk and hung up. Finally after telling the person working she/he wasn't answering the phone one more time or waiting on another person until it was resolved she/he called the manager again. We could hear the manager voice and it wasn't pleasant on the other end of the conversation. This was the workers first night of working and was the only person at the front desk. Finally after 55 minutes we got the room. Went to eat dinner as it was late after taking 55 min. to check in. Got back to the motel TV in one room wouldn't work. Another person was at the front desk by now tried to get TV to work, it wouldn't work. Employee called a former employee to come and get the TV so it would work. I would NOT recommend this motel, unless you want a LONG check in time. The condition of the motel was good, rooms were clean, beds were sparkling white and no bed bugs.,

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Corner Brook, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

I make four annual trips from the Dallas area to Dalhart to visit an incarcerated friend. Over the past two years, I've stayed at the HIE, the Super 8 (ugh!) , the Days Inn, and the Econolodge (ugh again!). There are a couple of other motels in town that I have not stayed at nor will I. Of all the motels in town, this one is arguably the best but that isn't saying much.

The hospitality employees in this town seem to be amongst the least hospitable of this area. On this particular stay in August, 2010 I received superior, more professional treatment from the state of Texas correctional employees at the prison unit outside town than I did in this motel. The manager was rather curt and the front desk agent acted as though I was interrupting the set routine when I checked in.

The room itself is okay if one is really tired and wishes to rest, that is, if trains don't bother you too much. I have encountered this problem at every motel in this town. You can't escape the train and road noise which goes on all night. Also, Dalhart is cattle country and the odors that go along with that are inescapable. The town itself is a depressing site but that's true of much of rural Texas.

The prices are overinflated and the franchisers seem to know that they can get away with charging whatever they want to one night travelers weary of the road and in need of sleep. If you are traveling through the panhandle and need to stop for the night, I would recommend that you push yourself another 40 miles to Dumas and stay at the new Hampton Inn there. The price is a little higher that the HIE in Dalhart but the hotel there is far superior. It is very new (open 18 months) and the staff are much more professional. Also, the strench is not as intense and the traffic noise level is better.

I'll still make my once a season trip to Dalhart but I just won't stay in that town anymore. The franchiser that owns the HIE also owns the Days Inn. I don't know about the other establishments but I would bet money that the entire hospitality/motel business in this town is in the hands of two or three families and the prices and service reflect this.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

Spent one night there. When I got to Dalhart I was a little nervous. The town itself is very sad. The roads being torn up don't make it any easier. I checked in and found my room to be very warm. The drapes were open and the sun was shining. Not a big deal. From what I could tell the entire hotel was exceptionally clean. The staff were very friendly if a little unprofessional. Aside from the train tho, I slept very well in a very comfortable bed. Great cinnamon rolls at breakfast too!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Flower Mound, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

We Stayed at a HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS In CONCORDIA, KS That was very nice for $89 a night. While on our way back to DALLAS Through DALHART at 10 o'clock at night, we Stopped At the HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS in DALHART, Tx. Big mistake! The room rates were $134 a night, even though the hotel was under going new construction! The employees even said these rates were high, but the franchise owner set this ridiculous rate because he doesn't think he has any competition. The breakfast was also terrible. You can actually see through the bacon, the omelets looked like TV dinners, the orange juice was almost undrinkable. The franchise owner under estimates the power of the customers!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Dalhart hotels

San Angelo, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

Three different sheets in two different rooms had yellow stains. The mattress pad on one of the beds had a big yellow stain. There was pieces of hair on the beds. My husband and I are not picky people. But these beds were NASTY. Would you want to sleep on a sheet that had yellow stains the size of a tennis ball. The front desk lady did not apologize. We left and went to the Days Inn where they were much nicer and the sheets were CLEAN.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Corinth, MS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

On 9/18/09 a group of my friends were traveling thru Dalhart on our way to Ouray, CO for vacation. A member of the group had reserved 6 rooms and used his credit card to guarantee the reservations. When we arrived at the Holiday Inn Express the nite of 9/18/09, 3 of the rooms were paid for with cash and the other 3 by credit card. A receipt was rendered, which I kept, and the next day we were on our way to Ouray. After we got back to Mississippi, the group member who reserved the rooms found that his credit card had been charged for 4 rooms rather than just the 1 room he and his son had occupied. When I checked my "cash receipt" he charges for my room did not indicate cash payment, rather a charge to the group member's credit card who had reserved the rooms. The same was true for the other 2 cash payers. I made several calls to the hotel without a call back. I called Holliday Inn Express Guest Relations who assigned a case # and said they would contact the Dalhart HIE and the Dalhart HIE would respond to me within 48 hrs. They did not. I called guest relations again who informed me that the hotel had investigated and that NO CASH had been paid. If I had a problem with that I should take i up with the Hotel because they were individually franchised. I have tried to call the hotel manager Taqua Davis......she is sick and not at work. The clerk, Audra, I talked to initially is away from the hotel for training. I'll let you make up ypour mind as to whether you would want to stay in a Hotel tha is run like HIE Dalhart.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Dallas-Texas!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

I am usually passing through Dalhart every summer on the way to Colorado. The Holiday Inn Express is the nicest hotel/motel in Dalhart. Rooms are adequate and clean. Basically not bad for Dalhart. Most of the motels in Dalhart look pretty creepy. With that said, the Dalhart Holiday Inn Express is always jammed packed. If you pull in late forget finding a parking spot. The elevator was not working the day I was there and that was fun after driving 8 hours to have to lug heavy suitcases up a flight of stairs. The front desk said there were 3 people stuck in the elevator for over an hour the day before. In the mornings the continental breakfast is a mad-house of kids & overflowing trash cans & nowhere to sit. I decided in the future I will stay in Dumas, Texas which has a very nice/new Hampton Inn and a new La Quinta.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Dalhart? Share your experiences!