“My husband wanted home cooking!” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 57 Restaurants in Corsicana
Cuisines: American, Coffee Shop, Hamburgers, Café, Sandwiches
Commerce, Texas
“My husband wanted home cooking!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Roy's has a nice, casual, homey feeling. The waitstaff was great. People greeted each other as they came in making it obvious that Roy's is a local favorite. That being said, the food was a little on the bland side. The chicken and rice had no flavor and the green beans came out of a can. I loved the mashed potatoes and my husband ate everything on his plate then finished off mine. I would try it again but I would order something different. My husband was happy! We did love the down town area. People all around were friendly.

Moore, Oklahoma
“They got it right!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Positives: outstanding home-style cooking, welcoming waitstaff, charming decor
Negatives: limited hours, parking

Before last week, we only went to Corsicana, Texas for two things: historic buildings and the Collin Street Bakery. Now, we've added "Roy's Cafe" to the list of reasons to return.

Our most recent visit came the day after Christmas. We traveled from Dallas to Corsicana specifically to buy cakes and cookies at the bakery. However, we also planned to eat lunch while in town. TripAdvisor listed several highly-rated options, but Roy's Cafe was closest to our primary destination, so we decided to give them a try.

We arrived about 1:20 p.m. and were relieved to find they were open. However, we found we were none to early, as their regular hours are 6:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. We entered apprehensively, wondering what type of reception the staff would give a couple of strangers who dared come in so close to the end of their day. To our relief, the hostess cordially greeted and seated us, and encouraged us to take our time deciding on an order.

With exception of a couple of point-of-sale terminals and a flat screen television, the dining area looked and felt like locally-owned restaurants in my hometown 40 years ago. A dining counter and stools occupied most of the north wall; a column of booths lined the south wall. Freestanding tables and chairs filled the area between. Most fixtures were silver or chrome with vinyl seat covers. A black-and-white checkerboard linoleum floor and diner-esque wall hangings completed the decor.

Breakfast is available during open hours. Standard items like sandwiches, burgers, and plate lunches are offered mid-day. Each day has its own set of lunch specials. They are listed in the menu and on a large chalkboard on the back wall. The variety of options printed on their one-sheet laminated menu is impressive.

Everything sounded so delicious, we had a hard time making up our minds. Our server patiently awaited a decision, cleaning tables and sweeping the floor as she waited for us to settle on a choice, returning at comfortable intervals to check progress. We rarely find this level of patience and friendliness in locally-owned small-town restaurants. Good job!

My wife eventually decided in favor of the chicken-fried steak lunch special, accompanied by baked potato casserole and cole slaw. I ordered a cheeseburger basket; I subbed baked potato casserole for fries.

Our food was very tasty. The chicken-fried steak was a good size...not the largest we've seen but more than enough for one person. It was fork tender with a different type of breading than she'd eaten before. The burger was an perfect rendition of the type of sandwiches served by cafe's I'd known in the 1970s.

Had it been served elsewhere, the "baked potato casserole" would probably be called "potatoes au gratin." It was made of sliced potatoes and a generous amount of smoked bacon covered in cheese. Very rich, but very good.

The lunch special included choice of dessert, a selection of side bread, and a drink. My wife chose the "buttermilk pie"; it had a light citrus flavor but was also very rich. One piece was more than the two of us could eat. She also got a dinner roll and slice of cornbread.

Given the cafe's location...in the middle of a small-town downtown...a breakfast/lunch operation makes sense. However, out-of-towners should be aware of their shortened hours when planning a visit.

The biggest potential drawback we noticed was parking. Since we visited during a holiday week, we had no problem finding space on the street. Spots might be harder to come by during regular business days.

The Bottom Line -

We enjoyed Roy's Cafe' and wouldn't hesitate to return. The food was unpretentious but flavorful. Portions were excellent for the price, and we were made to feel at home.

Several reviews (at TripAdvisor and elsewhere) indicated they were closed for a while. I hope that was an anomaly, that they'll be open when we return to Corsicana in the future. We will look for them first when back in town.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Nice Old Fashioned Diner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I saw on Trip Advisor that this place had been closed but had recently re-opened. Decided to eat breakfast there before heading home. This is not far from the La Quinta where I had been staying. Located in the "downtown" area, Roy's is an old-fashioned diner/cafe. You can tell that locals go there frequently. All-you-can-eat daily specials are written on the blackboard on the wall. Breakfast was just the way I liked it. Eggs cooked perfectly, thick bacon cooked crisp (the way I like it) and hash browns. A wonderful old-fashioned diner. Booths, tables and a lunch counter. And the waitresses greeting everyone as if they'd known you forever. I really like this place.

Visited October 2013
Costa Mesa, California
“Like eating at a friends house.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Recently re opened in September of this year. A corsicana favorite. A great breakfast place to meet to meet up with friends. Prices are resonable and food is yummy. Servers are friendly.

Visited September 2013
corsicana, texas
“CLOSED”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

This place had been in Corsicana ever since I can remember but now it is closed. The kitchen is still used for The Back Porch Bar, which is next door.The food at the bar is good, nothing great but very good.

Visited September 2011