“The most lovely afternoon tea” 5 of 5 stars

+44 1233 501586
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Secret Garden is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Mersham
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Located within the Mersham-le-Hatch business village in Kent, The Secret Garden is a relaxed and cosy country restaurant with views over a large Victorian walled garden. This restaurant is popular with locals, shoppers and weary motorists for leisurely lunches, and the kitchen here grows its own seasonal fruit and veggies as well as cut flowers and herbs. The bustling dining room is decorated with oak floor, wooden furniture and blackboard menus, and the historic garden is open to visitors. The restaurant also has a sunny terrace for al fresco dining, and a food hall stocked with local produce such as jams and cakes and wine and beer.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“The most lovely afternoon tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We went for an afternoon tea on Sunday to celebrate a birthday and had the most wonderful time. The food was lovely and the staff couldn't be more friendly and helpful. They even did a special birthday plate for the birthday girls and did extra veggie sandwiches for us on the day. The location is beautiful and I highly recommend it for a special afternoon tea.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Afternoon cream tea”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

What a lovely place to have a cream tea! all crockery is old and mismatched but it suits the ambience of the area. Tea is served in abundance and attentive staff are around should you have any problems or requests. Sandwiches are the usual you would expect with Hoummous being different as a filler.
As for the cakes there were so many that we had to ask for a box to take some home with us.
All in all a very pleasant experience.

Visited October 2013
West Malling, United Kingdom
“Just the ticket to keep you going for the rest of the day!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stopped by The Secret Garden for a well deserved break in the middle of my busy working day. Glad I did as the coffee served here is so good, just what I needed. The carrot cake I chose was delicious, beautifully moist, just like a carrot cake should be. I even took some home for later, the slice was so generous! I will definitely make a point of stopping by for coffee and cake again. What can I say about service and staff, well.......fabulous and friendly!! Thank you!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ashford, United Kingdom
“Less than average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

A special visit turned out to be less than average, service ok, but let down by below average food, we won't be back.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
secretgardenkent, Manager at The Secret Garden, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that the food was not up to standard, I would be great ful if you could contact me so that I can review the dishes that you were served.

Thank you for your kind words regarding service.
“What home hungry”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

The location, restaurant and staff are great. Immediately thought that we'd come here again until the food came out. Mean portions makes the menu over-priced. How much does it cost to add a few vegetables to a £20 main dish? Well, clearly too much here as you have to order separate vegetables. I really wanted to like this restaurant but ended up feeling let down.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
secretgardenkent, Manager at The Secret Garden, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thak you for your review and thank you for your kind comments regarding the excellent service. We only have one dish at £19.95, our other A La Carte dishes range from £12.95 to £15.95. Our dishes are served with vegetables and you are able to order extra sides if you so wish.

I do hope that you will come and visit us again soon.