“Schnitzels a surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet
Wimberley, Texas
“Schnitzels a surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

We stopped off I-10 for our first visit to Schobels in late afternoon, just as a big table of regulars were finishing their news of the day with tea and coffee, and ahead of the 5 p.m. crowd that started showing up just after we got there.

We were surprised by the weiner schnitzels we each ordered. They were excellent, juicy and tender. But they were large, so large and so good that we took half on the trip back to the hill country for another meal. They were good the second day too. The buffet salad was typical of buffet food and the baked potato (served after 5 p.m. only) was okay, but the kitchen-prepared weiner schnitzels we ordered from the menu were outstanding. As that's all we had, we can't evaluate other entrees.

• Visited April 2011

“An O.K. place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011 via mobile

Finding a highway stop is not always easy. We just wanted light fare; Schobel's servedvus well.the parking lot was packed, but we were seated and served quickly. The buffet was popular, but way more than we wanted. A Reuben sandwich served me well. My husband enjoyed a chicken salad sandwich The breads were yummy.

Houston, TX
“great home cooking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

This is a family owned restaurant that we have stopped at several times when traveling back and forth on I-10. I sware they must have a farm or they buy locally because their veggies are so fresh. If you are in the area on Sundays, their buffets are the best. For $10.95 a person, you get homemade bread, local favorites like fried okra or squash casserole, the best fried chicken...not greasy, freshly made, roast beef...gosh too much to mention.

Definitely one of these places that you work it into your plans.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Malibu ca
“If you sell me a buffet then keep it open til I get thru eating”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

We stopped in one afternoon between christmas and New Years 09-10 at 2:20pm. We asked the hostess if the buffet was still serving. With no hesitation she says yes until 3pm, so we proceed to get a plate. I don't load my plate up at a buffet because you can go back, that is at most places at least. When I went back a few minutes later the black lady behind the buffet informs me in no uncertain terms that the buffet was closing and as she's telling me she is picking up the stainless trays that have food in them not just the empty containers. I protested a bit but to no avail, she sounded like a broken record very rudely saying "nope the buffet is closed now". I should have taken the time to talk to a manager about it but I was very disappointed in the way I was treated that day. The food is just ok, it has never been anything to rave about. If you go there ask specifically what time does the bufett really close.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Good Place to Stop if You're Driving Through”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

I travel between Houston and Austin on a regulat basis. I like Schobels' for its fairly consistent food. I've stopped several times. At time the buffet leaves a little to be desired. However, most of the time it hits the spot. The menu is also good if you're not in the mood for a buffet to stuff yourself.

One of the things I like is that everything seems to be made there and not out of a plastic tub. I may be wrong and it may be the best plastic tub food you can find. However, I doubt it.

I look forward to stopping again on a trip back from Austin.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere