“Inconvenient Layout-Poor Front Desk Staff” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn & Suites

You added Comfort Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Comfort Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2535 Highway 71 South, Columbus, TX 78934 (Formerly Atrium Inn & Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Columbus
Green Valley, Arizona
“Inconvenient Layout-Poor Front Desk Staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is the most unusual arrangement for a Comfort Inn that I have seen-very inconvenient. No guest rooms are on the first floor. Limited parking (no Accessible Parking ) next to entrance-others must park at the bottom of a hill and take a long ramp up. I was tired after making three trips up the ramp and then taking the elevator to get everything I needed to my room. I requested an early checkin as I was feeling poorly but was told-check.in was 3 PM. I was not offered a chair in the lobby or help with my luggage. I sat in my car for an hour and then tried again. I was not greeted when I arrived nor even acknowledged . Lady attendant gave me a key and left. The lady in the morning who checked me out was wonderful and apologized for the rude behavior of the previous day. I found the beds high and hard to get in and out of. Remote was located almost hidden under the TV rather than out where it could easily be seen. No tissue in the room so I had to call front desk .Huge flatbed for transporting luggage had been left in elevator so I could not get in. Breakfast staff not helpful. Overall his place was a hassle.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Spring, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We won't be staying here again! Thankfully, this was only a one-night stay. When we checked in, the maid was still cleaning. We waited, and after she was gone we started noticing hair and dirt on the bathroom floor, an unswept carpet, furniture upholstery that looked like someone with soiled shoes had walked on it. The kicker was when we turned down the sheets. Stains! Uggh! We called the operator, who informed us there was no after hours room service, and said there was no other room we could move to. When my wife asked if someone could bring up fresh sheets, the desk clerk informed us 'no, but you can come and get them and change the sheets yourself.' So we did.

Next morning, we told the front desk person about our experience, and that we had photos. She apologized, said she had to charge us anyway, but that she would tell the manager, and that a refund would be credited to our credit card. When we told her about wanting another room but none being available, she looked puzzled. She checked her computer and said there were other rooms we could have moved to.

We are still, one month later, waiting for a refund, or even a phone call from the manager. Between my wife and I, we have called probably 4 tmes, always leaving a message, but never getting a return call. Finally, we complained to Choice Hotels International via their website. We did get an apology letter, but no refund, and only a promise to refer the complaint on to the hotel. As it turns out, all Comfort Inns are independently owned and operated. Looks like no one wants to own up and make this right. We continue to live and learn...

Room Tip: Go to the La Quinta right next door.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great accommodations. Within walking distance of a fabulous Mexican restaurant as well as a steak house. Some covered parking. Everything very pleasant. Room was larger than some. Convenient to I-10. Clean rooms, staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Houston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

As a former hotel manager I know what to expect when I check into a hotel. This hotel is very modern and sleek but not well taken care of. It was obviously not designed as a Comfort Inn, looks like it might have been a Best Western to begin with. The elevator looked like someone threw up in the corner and it never got cleaned up, there was grafffiti on the wall of the elevator. My room was clean but I would not walk on the carpet in bare feet. The chair and ottoman were nasty with stains all over them and the casegoods (furnture) was knicked and scuffed. The shower rod was barely hanging on. The towels were mixed - some old, some new. This would be a awesome place if they just did some preventative maintenance. The hallways have scuff marks all along the walls, there are light fixtures missing covers. Like I said, I am was a GM for 15 years so I look at everything when I stay at a hotel. The one good thing I did like about the room is that you have a thermostat on the wall so you can control your room tempature. If you are not real picky then this hotel might be ok for you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ocean Springs, Mississippi, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Right off of interstate 10 in Columbus Texas, almost half way between Houston and San Antonio, couldn't ask for a nicer, cleaner more comfortable place to stay for a night or a week! Staff was great, very helpful and accommodating. And the value vs price is unbelievable for a hotel that nice, just $89/night for a King room, and the bed and pillows was the most comfy I've slept on in a hotel in along time! Both were big and fluffy, and I just melted into the bed. Wanted to take it home with me! Very close to several good restaurants and the breakfast was the usual meat, eggs and cereal with milk and juice and coffee also available. But it was all good, if you need a good nights rest, stop here on that long drive across Texas, you won't regret it!!!

• Stayed March 2013
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This Comfort Inn is indeed a comfortable one. This is a newish hotel and I liked the room color scheme and lay-out. Comfortable bed! Great shower! Everything was clean, in good operating condition. The hotel's location is very convenient right off I-10. And to top it all, staff were friendly and helpful. For this price, you couldn't ask for more. I will definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Good location off of I-10. Facility was not fully booked so there were no problems with crowding in the breakfast area. Room had refrig and microwave available for your snacks. Internet access was questionable so the front desk clerk, Jackie, provided a wire for my business activities. Thank you, Jackie! Facility will meet the expections of any business traveler. Rate charged was below federal per diem rate . . . awesome.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower floor to obtain a better internet connection.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!