“Mediocre” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Columbus

You added Holiday Inn Express Columbus to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Columbus
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   4321 Interstate 10, I-10/US Highwayt 71, Exit 696, Columbus, TX 78934   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Columbus
Austin, Texas
“Mediocre”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I stayed here 1 night. First off, they need to fix the big lighted sign on the front of the building. It has a couple letters that are not lit up, gives a neglected appearance. My room had a burnt out light bulb which I reported and nothing ever came of it. The staff is friendly enough though and cheerful. Little details make the difference. The room was just OK, couch looked a little worse for wear. The bed was comfortable and the TV was good.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
HiExColumbus14, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Columbus, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Thank you for your feed back, with the issue of the sign is in to be fixed within a few weeks, have someone coming out. next the light bulb issue, my night auditor tried to come and fix it, but was unable to get into the room to fix it.

I am happy to hear that the bed was comfortable and the TV was good.

we would like to see you back the next time that you are in the area, and we will make sure that your stay is up to date.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Odessa, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

First off I'd like to say the rooms are below average for Holiday express! I stayed there for allmost 2 weeks was also denied points because We paid 75$ rate!! Like a hotel wouldn't give you a reduced rate for staying that many nites! It's the new way with IHG properties to acoid giving points at all cost! One of the breakfast ladies was friendly enough to tell us she had fleas at her house because of unknown reasons. Obviously we skipped breakfast. The staff was friendly but this hotel is below average. I would drive to Houston and avoid this town at all cost!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Columbus, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Dear Phil C,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. We always strive to service all our guests and on this occasion we regret your stay was not as comfortable as it could have been. We would like to address this further and have sent you a private message.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I had a great time staying in Columbus, the town was so beautiful!! Quaint, and had a lot of restaurants to choose from!
The Holiday Inn Express was nice as well. Clean beds, good sized rooms, and awesome staff! I particularly enjoyed dealing with Kristen at check-in. She was very knowledgeable about the area, and seemed so excited about her job, it was a fresh and upbeat experience! The next day I came through on my way at and checked out with Jackie the manager, and was surprised by her wit and humor!!
Great place! Will return!

Room Tip: I stayed on the third floor, less traffic above your head!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Carrollton, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our road trip took longer than expected and we did not arrive at the hotel until around 10pm. Around 9:30, I received a call from a woman at the hotel. She was genuinely concerned and asked if we were OK and if we were still coming. I explained that we were late and all was OK with that. She was very nice.

When we arrived, she was gone. A young man was at the desk. When I booked the hotel, I called the hotel directly, put two rooms under my name and confirmed that we could pay separately and points would not be an issue.

At check-in, this young man said my room number aloud. This creates a security risk and when strangers are around, I require a different room. I never say my room number aloud. When clerks say my room number, I use it as a training moment - which I did here. Now, the young man could have said, "Good feedback. Thank you." But instead, he did the following:

#1 - He Told me that my concern was not valid because all Holiday Inn properties train desk clerks to SAY the room number and that it is a courtesy to "help me find my room."

#2 - He then told me that every weekend, when he stays at the Crowne Plaza out of town, they "say his room number and it's no big deal."

#3 - Then, we asked to pay separate and to each collect our own Priority Club points. He said that the way I made the reservation made it impossible for him to separate the points and that I should consider this the next time I made reservations.

Staying in control of myself, I asked the name of the GM and when that person arrives at work. Melinda is the GM and she arrived the next morning at 6:00.

We approached the counter, saw Melinda, confirmed her as the GM. We complimented the caller from the previous evening. Then we shared the story of the check-in clerk with her. She agreed that his behavior was juvenile and unprofessional. I suggested Melinda might use this as a "Training opportunity." But, after reading other reviews, sounds like this kid needs to get the boot and learn a lesson about customer service.

Melinda was also able to separate our points before we left the hotel - thus all was good by departure time.

The breakfast was standard HIExp fare. My husband had to ask the employee to empty it. We also had to ask for bananas. But, when she was notified of a problem, she smiled and took care of it.

We found the hotel to be clean, comfortable, easy to get to and near services such as gas, groceries and food. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: A room is a room here.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Wyoming
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

First of all, the staff at this property were nice to my wife and I, and we had no trouble with service. However, the property itself is not of the usual caliber of a Holiday Inn Express. While I do understand according to the manager that the property is not re-branded, I agree with the previous commenter that it feels that way. The construction just doesn't live up to the normal brand standards, and while the property is in alright shape as of now, I can see it going down hill much faster than a well-built property. The carpet was certainly a low spot in the room. On the brighter side, there is an actual Dish receiver in the room, so you're not stuck with just a few channels of Standard Definition TV like at some properties. There wasn't anything really wrong with the stay, just nothing that stands out and makes me want to come back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Marietta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Arrived saturday night and had to stand at the counter a long time because the front desk clerk was watching football game in another room. He came to check us in during a commercial. The mattress was in poor condition and the poor workmanship of the building construction shows, especially in the bathroom. I bet this was a cheaper hotel re-branded as Holiday Inn Express, because I've stayed at plenty of Holiday Inn Express much nicer. This one doesnt really live up to the brand.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
MelindaDColumbus, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Columbus, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Good Morning ,

I'm so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. I cant imagine one of our front desk clerks watching a football game and waiting for a commercial to come on to check you in this is unacceptable and I need to corrected it. Unfortunately I am unable to find your name in our system. I don't show that you have ever stayed here. If you could please supply me with a date and name. I can preview on camera what happened on that date and take proper measurements to assure this doesn't happen again. We are not a Re-branded Hotel, We have always been a Holiday Inn Express. We pride ourselves on good service and good products. All of the mattress in every room are new with the name and date of your stay I can find what room you stayed in and see if that particular mattress has defects. Again, I'm sorry that you did not have a good experience , if you are ever in the area again please come by and let us make it up to you .

Sincerely ,
Melinda Duque
Eden, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

Staff was very welcoming at almost 11pm when we arrived. Very clean and inviting but strange smell in the 3rd floor room - yet nothing to prevent a good night's sleep. Delicious breakfast with a nice variety. We would stay again, in fact this was our second stay!

• Stayed June 2012
MelindaDColumbus, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Columbus, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Good Afternoon ,

Thank you so much for you comments it means a lot to us. We love seeing good reviews and We look forward to seeing you in the future. Thank you from all of us here at Holiday inn Express Columbus TX .

Sincerely ,
Melinda Duque

Been to Holiday Inn Express Columbus? Share your experiences!