“College town "luxury"” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton College Station & Conference Center

You added Hilton College Station & Conference Center to your Saves list
Hilton College Station & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   801 University Drive East, College Station, TX 77840-2116   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Family Fun Package
Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in College Station
Paris, France
“College town "luxury"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Not unlike many college town hotels; everything is relative. The College Station Hilton is the Cadillac of hotels in College Station; in Houston it would be a Chevrolet.
While the hotel is modern, safe an clean, there is an aura about it that doesn't measure up. The people/ guests?

Staff is friendly and service is more than adequate. Beds are a little old fashioned. There's something about this place that is a little off putting.

In fairness I stay here every time I come here.

Room Tip: The Honors floors are 10 & 11.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Salado, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed here for the Texas Reds Steak & Grape Festival to work the festival for our winery. Brought my 13 year old daughter.

Got an early check in, hotel was full due to a huge wedding, so unfortunately got a room right in front of the elevator, but not upset about that, just glad we got a room early so I could get back to the festival. Thanks to the girl at the front desk for squeezing me in.

My daughter felt ill during the festival so I brought her back to the room, she wanted to order a movie so I told her to do that, got her some dinner and headed back to the festival. There was some technical issue that after 45 minutes of maintenance trying to fix they couldn't get resolved, so she unfortunately ended up being really bored for a few hours while I was working. Was surprised when I mentioned this at the front desk that some kind of future discount/room comp etc. was not offered. Apologies were though, for what that's worth.

Rooms are smallish but have had some updating (carpet/furnishings/TV etc). Beds very comfortable and bedding soft, offering a good night's sleep. Fridge in room was a nice touch. Very low ceilings and cramped bath/shower area. Building is showing it's age although you can see they are trying to keep ahead of the aging by application of paint etc. However simple fixes like updating to shower heads manufactured within the last 10 years etc. have not been done, and in several spots in hallways/bathrooms etc. you can see the rust peeking through the paint. Air conditioning is ancient and loud as mentioned by previous reviewers. Hot tub temp very low, didn't spend much time in there because of it. I really expected a much more modernized hotel to be represented by the Hilton logo.

Common areas are opulent and very modern. Rooms very clean. Did not have an opportunity to try room service or the bar but the food menu looked very extensive and the drink menu very creative.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

$350. Need I write more? Ok, double beds, rusty shower, cheap shower curtain, huge hotel and most of the parking faaaarr away. The common areas are in great shape, and very nice. After a few hours in the double bed, I considered grabbing a beautiful couch in the lobby! :)

I just think $350 for a town where he average is about $100 is usury. But, I paid it. We can afford it, and I thought it would be nicer. But the cost was really a reflection of it being a busy weekend. So blame me for waiting too late to make a reservation. But I'll be back to town a lot over the next six years. At least for that price have two queens!!

• Stayed September 2012
HiltonCSGM, General Manager at Hilton College Station & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. We are very proud of our recent renovation and appreciate your comments about the public space. Please stop by and say hello the next time you stay with us and look forward to your return.
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at the Hilton in College Station. The beds were fabulous as was the entire room. We had a King room and it was very spacious. The bathroom in the room was well equiped with a nice, but very clogged with lint, hair dryer. It still worked good, but was kinda gross to look at. The bathroom was very tight quarters, but it was pretty with marble counter tops, glass cups, plenty of soft towels and nice toiletries. I will say that the smell in the room was a bit nauseating at first. It was very musty and almost smelled of cigarette smoke. Almost enough to make me ask for a different room. The main reason I did not, is because I arrived at the hotel a few hours before actual check in and they already had my room ready and allowed me to enter. Also, I was really feeling under the weather due to a terrible sinus infection I was battling and was ready to take a little nap.

Our time here was short, only one night, so a complete overview of the property was not in store for us.

We did not utilize many of the facilities because of our other planned activities. However, we did notice a coffee shop serving Starbucks coffee, a restaurant that was serving a buffet style dinner for a pretty good price ($12+) and a breakfast buffet the next morning ($9+), and a lounge bar. We did sit in the bar and had a coctail each (2) the evening after the A&M football game and service was fair to poor at best, however, the drinks were good. We put the drinks on our room tab.

The employees at the desk were very nice, as I spoke to 2 different ones upon check in and later when I inquired about something else.

I will say, the room was EXTREMELY pricey as most hotels in College Station are during game days, however, I felt like it was pretty steep...at over $300 (taxes included) for one night, we were really glad to have that nice soft comfy bed. Also, upon check out, we noticed that those drinks we put on our tab cost approx $20!....for 2 coctails. I have not yet called to ask about that, but I think that is a bit much for 2 drinks..and not specialty ones either...one mixed drink and one beer. Seriously?

I would not hesitate to stay here again. It was very nice, just pricey.

I should also mention the the entire Aggie football team stays here and during our stay, so did the visiting girls VB team that would play the Lady Aggies in VB on Sunday afternoon. It was fun to see all those athletes. They were very polite and courteous.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your kind words regarding your recent wstay with us. I especially like the ones about our associates at the Front Desk and proud to say that all of our 186 associates are like the ones you encountered. Please stop by and say hello the next time you visit us and we look forward to your return.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Hotel is in need of updating all around. Room had a motel like air conditioning unit that was so loud it was hard to sleep. Small tub with small shower, toilet is very very small and low to the ground. Very small shampoo and soap. Although I am Hilton Honors, I was not offered a Hilton Honors floor room on my first night, stayed othe Hilton Honors floor othe second night an there was no difference, no free bottled water or any other amenities.

Room Tip: Call ahead and ask for a ground level room near the pool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
I want to sincerely thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. i am very concerned that your Hilton Honors amenities were not sent to your room and have looked into why and have made the necessary corrections. We are very proud of our hotel in that we have just completed renovating all guest rooms and public areas. I do hope that you will give us another chance and would like to say hello the next time you are with us.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

The previous reviewers only mentioned the bathroom is small, but to me, it is not only small, but unclean. The toilet was not clean (with stains), and I saw pieces of hair on the bathroom floor. The bathroom door, the carpet and the furniture/bedsheet are old/shabby and smell a little. Their price is too high, compared to other hotels with the same size/facility/hygiene. Anyway, very disappointed, I will never stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us at our hotel. I understand that you were not satisfied with the cleanliness of your guest room an am deeply dispointed by that. I sincerely apologize for this and assure you that this area is of great importance to us as we ensure the comfort and satisfaction for our guest. Thank you again; I appreciate your honest feedback.
Barron Hobbs, General manager
Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

OK, was expecting more from a Hilton

STAFF
All were great! I must say everyone was super friendly and accommodating.

ROOM
The rooms were nice on the ‘club’ floor, but the bathrooms are inconvenient and very small. The door to the toilet and shower was very close and you cannot leave this open. The tubs have an odd concave and slopping design that makes standing in the shower extremely uncomfortable. The tub is also narrow, thus making standing even more difficult for those with any sized foot over 7”. It also did not seem as if there was much care put into the toiletries and towels, as they simply looked to have been thrown on the counter and the racks without care or thought to presentation. I know it sounds nitpicking and maybe it is a bit, but when you travel often and stay in certain hotels, there is a certain expectation that goes with it. I felt it was missed at the Hilton.

The room itself seemed clean, but I did find a cricket the size of the great state of Texas (no joke) in the bathroom the next morning. I have seen large crickets, but this one I could have strapped a saddle to and rode him to work. I was given another room and the front desk staff were more than understanding, however the room provided was not on the club floor and had subpar pillows, old and hard. Seems the old pillows from the club floors get shipped to the rest of the hotel.

ONSITE DINNING
As for dinning, there is a restaurant on site, but after the first day I found it was not worth the price of the food and there are a ton of options on University Drive. Food was a very low quality and most is not made fresh (according to an employee I spoke with, with regards to the beef brisket). I did order a side salad with dinner that was huge, but the lettuce was old and soggy. For the main course I had ordered the brisket and I was extremely disappointed, especially as I was in Texas and this kind of food is what they are known for. The brisket was so far overdone that it was like chewing on boot leather. It was not until the next day I found that the brisket, among other items, are not made fresh in house and are more a pre-packed or reheated item. I was able to swap for a rib-eye that was actually pretty good and the cook was empathetic and did what he could to accommodate me for the poor food. He did send out an appetizer of jalapeño corn bread. It was a nice gesture, but the appetizer is an oddly round fried cornbread dough ball with a hint of jalapeño peppers. Not the most appetizing of appetizers and very greasy. The restaurant did take a good portion of the cost of the rib-eye off the bill to compensate for the difference in price from the brisket to the rib-eye, which I thought was a very nice customer service move on their part.

LOCATION
The location itself is very convenient and central to the university and nearby businesses.

OVERALL
I would have to say this was just OK and definitely below my expectations for a Hilton. Not sure if I will stay here again, now that I have seen the other options in this area.

Room Tip: Stay on the Hiton Club floor. Sign up online before you go. Better pillows and WiFi
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
HiltonCSGM, General Manager at Hilton College Station & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Good morning and I really appreciate you taking the time to give us feed back on your stay here while in College Station. I agree with you that we have a fantastic staff that continues to make us all very proud to work with. I will take your comments back to the staff and know that your take on our hotel will only make us better. Thanks for staying with us and please stop by and say hello the next time in our Hotel
Barron Hobbs

Been to Hilton College Station & Conference Center? Share your experiences!