“Decent Pho” 3 of 5 stars

Good for: Local cuisine
Dallas, Texas
“Decent Pho”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This place got good reviews on Yelp so we decided to try it out. When we walked in around 5:30 on a Friday, it was literally empty so we were skeptical. It was decent pho. We ordered the fried spring rolls for an appetizer and it was just okay. The roll wasn't evenly cooked so it wasn't as crispy. You can see from the coloring that it was brown and white spots.

We ordered the two pho and one dry vermicelli noodles with pork. The pork in my vermicelli was very dry and chewy, it was almost like eating beef jerky. The noodles seemed a bit overcooked. The flavor wasn't bad but it was hard chewing my way through the meal. I think the noodles were overcooked in the hot noodles too.

The restaurant itself is typical of a lot of Vietnamese restaurants. You don't go for the atmosphere.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

College Station, Texas
“The correct College Station Pho”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Unlike Rosie's just around the corner, Pho John's hasn't had any issues with cleanliness. The menu is also a tad easier to understand too and the food is good and fairly inexpensive.

Visited January 2013
Houston
“Just nasty....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This place is not any good. Worst service, nasty food and the place is in need of some remodeling. The service was beyond terrible. There is a better pho option in bcs.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Lufkin, Texas
“Something Different in College Station”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

My wife and I were in town for a softball tournament. I selected Pho Johns as we were craving something different from the usual steak/burger experience. I found this to be a pretty good stop. I ordered the steak/brisket pho. The portion was huge and (I thought) tasty. I had kind of expected a more fish sauce taste to the broth. The owner explained as we checked out that it is kind of a small town adaptation. A pho restaurant in a larger town will have more of a seafood broth. I really enjoyed it anyway. My wife had the chef's fried rice. Again, VERY large portion. Kind of dry, like some people have described, but she liked it very much. I would go back here any time we are craving something different.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
College Station, Texas
“Outstanding Restaurant, will go again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

I love Vietnamese food and thought I would stop in... the restaurant was outstanding, and the staff were great. Over all a great experience.

• Visited July 2011