“Decent value, but some problems” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #15 of 34 Hotels in College Station
Houston, Texas
“Decent value, but some problems”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The pros:

Very convenient location - University is where a lot of College Station restaurants are located. This Comfort Suites is almost directly across from Grub Burger Bar and Boston's, two of our fave casual restaurants in College Station (Boston's is going south but that's for another review). Also, this hotel is set back off University, behind Buffalo Wild Wings, so being away from the busy street gives you less noise. There are a couple of empty lots on the way in, which make one wonder if this is a sketchy facility, but the hotel grounds are well kept up.

Good value for money - we got a 2 "bedroom" suite for the same price we normally pay for 1 bed and a sofa bed. But the 2nd "bedroom" was just a bed out in the open past the kitchen, not a bedroom to itself. The bedroom included a king bed, the non-bedroom; a queen bed. The beds were fine although the pillows are those weird, half-size ones like throw pillows.

Fixtures are decent, builder-grade material. Nothing fancy, just the basics. Everything worked, and there were 2 thermostats - one for the living room/bedroom and one for the real bedroom. There were overhead fans in the living room and bedroom, something I don't normally see.

There is a full kitchen including oven in the suites.

The cleaning staff is honest - I left a nice pair of sandals in the room when we switched across the hall and they turned them in to the Lost and Found. I was afraid I would never see them again, but thankfully, I got them back.

The front desk personnel were very friendly and attentive.

Cons:

Location - There are NO grocery stores on University since Albertson's pulled out some time ago. So if you need anything you have to head up to Texas, the closest groc. store is HEB I think, about 10-15 minutes drive.

Fixtures - As usual, builder grade means that sound travels very well through the walls. The first night, we had no neighbors but the 2nd night we switched out rooms and the room next to us contained people who didn't go to bed until 1 a.m. I know I'm weird, but when I have an early appointment the next day, I like to sleep before the wee hours of the morning.

We also got assigned to a handicap suite, 301, for our first night. I didn't realize it until we were in the room and unpacked. It's a different layout, with a special shower seat and also a special shower, and a bathroom large enough for a wheelchair. The staff should not put non-handicapped people in that suite, because the shower head cannot be adjusted to a normal height. And you can't even take a bath because the bath plug will not stay closed. We asked the desk staff if we could move and the 2nd night was spent in a regular suite with a regular shower.

Now, here's a really quirky thing - Although the suites are equipped with a full kitchen including an oven, THERE ARE NO UTENSILS, NO POTS, NO PANS, NOTHING with which to cook. Not even a cheap plastic pitcher to put water in! So if you stay here expecting a fully equipped kitchen, you'll be caught needing to buy your own cooking equipment. When I asked about this at the front desk, the very nice young man couldn't really give me an answer but we wondered about theft. Perhaps other suite hotels add the cost of theft into their rates, I don't know. We are a family with food intolerances, so we usually need to cook at least one meal during every trip, sometimes most meals. I'll remember to bring my own things with me next time.

Breakfast - The cold offerings were fine. There was cereal, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, fruit, bagels and pastries. There was a waffle machine. The hot offerings were abysmal. Round egg patties and Canadian bacon the first day; biscuits and gravy the 2nd day. There was very little sausage in the gravy and thus, very little flavor. But there were other options so I gave up on it. Don't count on the kind of spread you would get at one of the more upscale suite hotels, with fresh eggs, sausage, bacon, etc. The best quality would be cooking in your own room!

Overall, I would say it's a decent value for money and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back *may* be quieter. Bring your own cooking equipment if you plan to use the kitchen...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on a Friday night in the summer, so no football crowds or families moving students in for the fall.

Our room was very nice, far better than average. The beds seemed new, soft but with a firm support, and very comfortable. The pillows were plump and the bedding looked, felt, and smelled clean as could be. Lights, television, and remote worked great. The remote needed batteries, but the front desk brought some up immediately after we called. There were plenty of outlets to plug in our cell phones, laptop, and i-pad. The room featured two queen beds and a living section with a coffee table and a sofa that pulled out into a bed. The bathroom was clean, well-lit, and the shower flow was amazingly soothing. The room offered a full-size ironing board and iron, a microwave, and a mini-fridge. There was a small closet with a full-size mirror on its door.

The floors are not as solid as they should be. We could hear the people in the room above us as they walked around in their room. It wasn't incredibly loud and didn't interfere with our night's sleep, but when we were awake we could easily hear their movements. Had it been during football season, this floor noise could easily have made it very difficult to sleep.

Breakfast items included a few types of dry cereal, hot oatmeal, breads, biscuits with cream gravy, round sausage patties, scrambled egg circles (pre-shaped, like scrambled egg pancakes), and a self-serve waffle iron with two different flavors of batter: cinnamon or regular. There was an assortment of juices, skim and 2% milk, and different coffees available too.

The staff we interacted with were all very polite, professional, and helpful. They provided a lot of information about the area, how it is on football weekends, what to do or see nearby, and where to shop for specific items. We couldn't imagine a friendlier or more helpful staff.

Room Tip: This hotel is completely non-smoking. NO pets are allowed. If you are bothered by noises of people...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Tyler, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here before dropping my child off to Fish Camp and got a very cheap rate online. Was afraid of what hotel would look like but was pleasantly surprised to see a clean hotel with super friendly staff. The room was very clean and very roomy. The shower was great and bathroom very nice. Hot breakfast was ok. Very quiet hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
Graham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This hotel was old and the carpets were stained, there was a hole in the hallway of the 2nd floor, and there was a iron burn in the middle of our floor. The breakfast was below to close average. And the pool was very dirty and never cleaned the 4 days we stayed in the beginning of July. It is in the older part of town where most of the shopping areas are vacant. I suggest finding another hotel on Texas Ave closer to the college and more shopping and restaurants. Also, the front desk clerk had a hickie on her neck, not professional at all. BUT... the housekeeping ladies were amazing, kept our room very clean and fresh towels for my husband and I and our 4 teenage kids!!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My previous review stated that the free internet system was so tied up with students coming there just to stay in the lobby and use the internet, that it was slow and sometimes hard to get on. But, I must say the last two times, there were not students there using the internet in the lobby and it was easy and fast to get on the internet and work.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My colleague and I spent several nights at this hotel while attending a conference at the Hilton (walking distance away). The rooms were very spacious, with a bathroom right off the entrance, a couch and TV area, and separated by an archway room divider, the bed and desk area. The bed was comfortable. My friend's room was identical to mine, with the exception that I had a lap desk sitting on my bed when I arrived. The walls, carpets, couch, etc., were indeed worn and dated, as some have noted, and though both our rooms looked clean, everything was old enough that I didn't trust the couch unless I was fully dressed. Even the iron in the closet was on the verge of falling apart. But at least there was one and it worked.

The staff was cordial, but not really willing to be helpful. There was a fireplace wall right across from the front desk, which separated the lobby from a small breakfast area with tables and chairs. There wasn't a restaurant per se, but they had a decent free breakfast--self-serve waffles, cereals and yogurts, rolls, juices, fruits, and a hot item which changed daily (one day it was biscuits and gravy, the next it was egg patties and sausage patties, etc.). There was no lobby couch or lounge area at all, and the exercise room had the bare minimum (two treadmills and one stationary bike). There was an outdoor pool, but the staff said it was too cold to use when we were there (February); I don't know if it was heated.

We got a conference rate of $108; I wouldn't consider it a good value at more than that. I'm giving it 4 stars because of room size and comfort, and the decent free breakfast. And I'm definitely comparing it to other motor hotels, since it's definitely a step down from the Hilton, Marriott, etc.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Cedar Park, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here last night and really enojyed it. The fact that BW3s is a quick walk away made it even better. The hotel was quiet, clean,and very comfortable. This isn't the forst time staying at Comfort Suites in town,but it will be the only place I'll stay on my return.

• Stayed February 2013