“Old, Rough, No-Frills” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 29 hotels in College Station
San Antonio, TX
“Old, Rough, No-Frills”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I was here for several weekly stays in in various rooms in July and August. I chose this location because the rooms were cheap. I took a gamble on cleanliness, as reviews were mixed on that.

The rooms were old and rough - patchwork on walls and doors, bathroom grout missing or slightly moldy. Dim or burned out bulbs in the fixtures. That being said, the rooms were GENERALLY pretty clean (see below). I thought housekeeping did fairly thorough cleanings - better than spa resorts I've been to.

The beds were comfortable (soft). If you like soft beds, you'll probably be okay. Water was always hot and the A/C was very cold, with one exception - again, better than some luxury hotels I've been to. The one A/C exception was Rm. 114. It kept cool if you had it cranked low. Anything other than that and it would get a little too warm. I also felt inexplicably itchy in that room. No pests were found then or since back home.

I stayed in Rm. 104 a few times. The first time I felt itchy, but could not identify from what, or where. In subsequent (2) stays, I did not feel itchy. In Rm. 106 I picked up a mild case of Athlete's Foot from the carpet. I tried to wear socks at all times, but you can't shower in socks or shoes, can you?

Motel does not provide breakfast, nor shampoo, although you might find some shampoo at the front desk.

One fault I found with the hotel is that some smoking rooms are next to, behind, or above non-smoking rooms. The rooms are not hermetically sealed, so even non-smoking rooms may have a faint smoky smell. I'm pretty sensitive to smoke, but it didn't bother me, even though I could very faintly detect something. The hotel has two buildings, in my opinion, they should make one building all smoking and the other non-smoking.

Another issue is that you may have smokers in non-smoking rooms who smoke outside their (or your) door, and guess what - the smoke enters your room, or the smell follows the smoker back into the non-smoking room.

There is an extreme hoarder in Rm. 110. I was last there a month ago, and this person was there every day for at least six weeks at that point. The filth in that room boggled the mind. I would not want to stay in that room in the future, nor in any room which shared a wall or ceiling/floor with that room. Aside from a fire hazard, this has to also be a health hazard.

I might stay there again if money is tight on an extended stay. Front desk folks were really nice. Its an OK place to stay in a pinch, but if you're really picky, and money is not an issue, you might want to try somewhere else. Rooms were adequate for the price. You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Pool area can get loud. I'd stay at least three rooms away from the pool area. Avoid Rm. 110 o...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

18 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Conroe, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

scary place to be - live in hoarder on 1st floor! appears to be another "permanent" resident on 1st floor as well. screams for help in middle of night! "nothing" seen on security cameras! police unable to do anything! green pool... not a place to take young children!

Lewisville, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

First and foremost let me say that this is not a 5, 4, or even a 3 star hotel. I'd give it somewhere between a 2 & 3 at best. Individual rooms open up to the outside directly rather than a more secure enclosed hallway. As far as I know there was no elevator, so make sure you can get a bottom floor if you have problems climbing stairs. There is no coffee maker in each room, but there is one in the lobby in the morning.

With all of that said, let me point out that this hotel is a lot less expensive than those other 3,4, & 5 star hotels. In fact you could probably spend two nights here for the same price as one night at many others. They provide free wireless internet, cable TV, and local calls. Each room also has a small refrigerator for personal use and a small microwave.

All in all, I would probably give this hotel a high 2 or at best a 3.0 star if comparing to other hotels, but I chose to upgrade it to 4 based on the buck for value factor. Keep in mind that this is a budget hotel. For college bound students and their parents that are watching every penny, this hotel will give you a place to stay relatively close to the campus with many retail stores and restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: If stairs pose a problem, ask for a ground floor. This facility also has smoking rooms, so alert th...
Harlingen, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I arrived 20 min. early & room was not available. We left & arrived 2 hrs. later to find housekeeper barely cleaning our assigned room. Worker took about 5 min. to clean the room & so we requested another room instead. After leaving our luggages, we left & came back at night to discover that the toliet was not flushing at all. Front desk did not have a maintance worker nor would they accomodate us with another room. We literally had to fill the ice bucket with water 4 times to pour into toliet tank for the toliet to flush. Next day, we requested a refund as we were not going to stay another day. I asked for a refund for the bad service and work throughout the night, but manager was not available & a lady on the phone was rather rude giving excuses that the rooms are not always completed by 2 pm. which contradicts website info. & that we should have looked to see if the water gauge was closed. Should I change my career and become a plumber?I'm a teacher & was dissappointed with their lack of being accommodating & doing the right thing such as refund my family and I for our work and patience. I've yet to hear from the manager, but lesson learned: Cheap is not the way to go!

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend this hotel. It's photos are deceiving. Lesson learned: You get what you...
New Orleans, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I saw in reviews that this place's rates are around $45-$50 and though reviews are at best lukewarm, seemed good enough for a quickie sleep stopover so I called. I have no connection to the school, just wanted to stay because we had to pass through there on our way somewhere else that May 10 weekend (a week from now).

Person asks oh is that for graduation weekend? I said oh, argh, is it? What does that mean? You are all booked up or are you charging double the usual rate? Person is honest, says yeah, well, right now rooms are going for $110. (I wondered: Does that mean that later when people are more desperate, the low-end rooms will go for even more?).

Way to price-gouge grads and their families and friends. I think that's why lots of other cheap but decent places were all booked up and this one was not. Maybe the other cheap places (most of which had better reviews) have the decency to treat their grads and guests better and stick to standard prices.

Anyhow, I don't need to stay in College Station so I'll just look for something up the road. I suggest everyone else do the same and just drive a few miles back and leave these people sitting on top of their empty $110 rooms, that may go even higher.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere to avoid price gouging.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I realized on the day of our trip that the reservation I thought I had at another hotel didn't exist, so I was furiously searching for an available room. Most of the hotels that were left in town received reviews mentioning cockroaches, mold and hair that was left behind from previous travelers. The reviews for the EZ Travel Inn consistently mentioned how clean it was, so we reserved a room here. For $50 per night, I was glad to see that the previous reviews were right. The room was sparse and simple (no shampoo, no body wash, just bar soap, no coffee in the room, etc.), but it was clean. The beds were VERY soft, but, again, for $50, I didn't expect the bed I have at home. The lady at the front desk was very nice and welcoming. If you want to save money or you're in a bind like we were, I would recommend this motel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

When you first see it...it's got a lot of age on it...you may think this is the sort of place that rents
rooms by he hour....couldn't prove it however. Everything else in town that wasn't over $200. a night in this small college town for a hotel room was booked due to a big football game. If you know there's going to be a game while you're there try to book a couple or three weeks ahead of time, maybe for a better rate.

Room Tip: Is there one ???? But nice people operate it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to EZ Travel Inn? Share your experiences!