“DO NOT STAY, choose another hotel!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 College Station

Orbitz.com Priceline.com
Super 8 College Station
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   301 Texas Ave., Business Rt 6 & Texas Avenue S, College Station, TX 77840-1721   |
Ranked #24 of 28 hotels in College Station
“DO NOT STAY, choose another hotel!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012 via mobile

We booked a non smoking ro, walked in and the room smelled of smoke. We told the woman at the front and she said that there are no other rooms to give us, no refunds are given, and it is a non smoking room so it shouldn't smell of smoke. My husband said we have 2 small children and will not be sleeping in the room with te smell, she have a bit of an attitude and eventually moved us to another room. The "breakfast" was terrible with no milk or cereal and only a waffle machine that was disgusting, and bagels.

• Stayed February 2012

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
College Station, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

DO NOT BOOK EARLY! They have a very rigid cancellation policy that requires a 72 hour notice. They make absolutely no exceptions... not even for emergency room hospital stays. I contacted the corporate office, and they couldn't even help me. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYBODY!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

We got exactly what we wanted out of this hotel: a cheap place to sleep after visiting friends. But the stay was better than we expected.

When we arrived we were greeted by a friendly front desk. After checking in, I called down to get the Free Wifi password, but when I didn't have a pen, I told the guy at the front desk I'd just run down and write it down. Before I got halfway down the hall, the he was on his way to my room with the password written on a peice of paper. So nice!

He also directed us to a long list of cabs in the area. The only negative about this hotel is it's not really close to "North Gate" - the local bar scene - or the University. But none of the hotels in College Station really are. However, it was a fairly cheap cab ride.

Check out was great, mostly because we only spent $55, but also because of the friendly guy at the front desk. He was looking at engagement rings for his girlfriend, and my husband and I offered him some advice. He was really funny and cool and didn't even upset my terrible headache and hangover. Yep, it was that kind of trip.

So if you're looking for a bed to sleep after visiting friends in CS or your kids in college, this is your place.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
British Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

I found that this hotel was a bit pricey for the quality of the rooms but was not suprised as it is in a University Town. I was not opposed to paying the $80 after taxes but expected more from Super 8.

Front Desk staff - OK on checkin/checkout,
Breakfast- continental (ended up going to Subway),
Room - basic but clean. T
he hotel seems to be fairly old and could use a "freshen" (I found that the 2nd floor hallway had a smokey smell which did not permeate into the room (thank heavens).

This hotel had 3 or 4 men hanging around the lobby (obviously not checking in). I am from a fairly large city and find it disconcerting when I go into a hotel where the friends/family of staff are hanging around the lobby (it takes it down a notch)!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

fair value, *but* what really irritates me about Super 8 (this one particularly)
they put $1 charge on your bill for a safe which I don't need or use. Some of them will take if off if you think to check your bill b4 signing.

They have price on the sign outside that they will not give you that (low) rate unless you start a major argument. Even that won't work if you made reservations through call center(garanteed low rate!!!,sure!) or on line.
In this particular room, their was an air compressor (?) that came on every hour or so and was loud enough to make sleeping impossible until the tank filled(?) and it turned off.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Orlando, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2008

Stayed there during an A&M home game. There were a few issues with the room when we got there. Room keys for both rooms wouldn't work, had to go down to front desk twice to get that resolved. Upon entering one of the rooms, there was a strong cleaner smell that fortunatly was limited to the bathroom, turned on the fan and it dissappeared after a few moments. The AC from the room above would drip onto our AC and make a ringing noise on occassion.
Young guy that was working the front desk was nice but had NO clue about any restaurants near the hotel (including the IHOP two blocks away and a mexican restaurant one block away). I do not expect a kid at a small motel to know everything about the area but being it you are in a major college town, you should know some of the basics.
Note to any future travelers, it is walkable to Kyle Field for a football game but honestly we could of taken a car, parked on campus and gotten out after the game with ease.
Overall it was a clean place to stay at a very affordable rate during a football weekend. I would hesitate to stay here again but if i find a good price I would stay.
*** Restaurants in area*** I will post reviews at two restaurants that I ate at while in the College Station area. One that is only a 5 minute drive from campus is J.Cody's. AMAZING Steaks! The other is called Potato Shack. Huge Baked Potato's with all sorts of fillings from the basics to Chicken Parmigiana!

• Liked — Close locale to campus
  • Disliked — unknowledgeable staff
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

My husband and I booked two rooms here-- one for us and one for my elderly grandmother, who is recovering from bypass surgery. We decided to drive up to College Station from Houston in the wake of Hurricane Ike, because of the massive power outages. Being 8 months pregnant, the heat was just unbearable with no a/c.

First of all, it was impossible to be choosy because the ENTIRE city was booked up with evacuees like us. I would never have chosen this hotel, but we took what we could get.

The building itself is totally outdated and in need of some serious repairs. The carpet in the halls was filthy-- they couldn't even vacuum it, apparently. The room we had was small, the bed was horribly uncomfortable, and I wouldn't have touched the recliner with a 10-foot pole. The whole place stunk of mildew and cheap disinfectant and the hall, which had all doors labelled "non-smoking," smelled strongly and distinctly of cigarette smoke. In the bathroom, the ceiling above the shower had been patched (in a very messy way) because it looked as though the tub from upstairs had, at one point, fallen through!

Worst and most infuriating, the hotel advertises on www.aggieland.com (Texas A&M's website) and all hotel booking sites (i.e. www.hotels.com) that they are pet-friendly. When you get there, they have "No Pets" signs posted everywhere. When I asked about this, the kid at reception said the managers had changed their rules about a year ago, and didn't feel that they had to "honor" what was posted on the websites, since the sites weren't theirs. I was furious because I had my two little dogs with me, and, as I mentioned, we were evacuating from a hurricane and all the hotels in the city were full! Worse, I saw a man carrying his little dog out of the hotel and was told he was only allowed to stay there with his pet because, apparently, a hotel employee had told him the hotel was pet friendly when he called to book! Well, what about me (or rather, my mother-in-law, who found the hotel online for me) being told by all the websites that list the hotel that it's pet-friendly??? I had to pay to have my dogs boarded.

Also, when we arrived at 4 p.m., an hour AFTER check-in, we got to the room, and it hadn't been cleaned! Check-out is at 11 a.m.

AND, they advertise a breakfast, but it's nothing but stale-looking cereal and white bread.

Avoid this hotel at all costs. Comprably-priced hotles are MUCH better. And, if you have options and a little extra cash, I booked rooms at the Courtyard by Marriott in College Station for my staff and I during a convention earlier this year, and it was a very pleasant experience. I highly reccomend it (and really, just about anything else) over this place.

The College Station Hilton is also very nice and seriously worth the extra money if you care about cleanliness and customer service.

• Liked — Nothing.
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Super 8 College Station? Share your experiences!