“Unsanitary - avoid this hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1410 Nasa Rd 1, Clear Lake City, TX 77058   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clear Lake City
“Unsanitary - avoid this hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We tried to check-in at 3pm and were told to come back because our rooms were not ready. We came back at 3pm and were given 2 rooms on the extreme opposite ends of the floor (even though I explicitly asked for rooms near each other in the reservation and multiple times during the check-in process). After seeing how far apart the rooms were, we went back to the front desk and asked if they could get us rooms any closer. They told us another room across the hall would be ready later, but they didn't know when. We accepted that and told them to call us when it was ready. We checked into our first room and waited. About 2 hours later we called and they told us the room was ready but they forgot to call us to let us know.

The first room we checked into had multiple issues with the condition of the room... 1) the room smelled overwhelmingly like a dirty wet dog; 2) I pulled 4 plates out of the cupboard and 3 of the 4 had a hair on the plate; 3) the room had 3 forks, 1 knife and no spoons and when we asked for spoons the front desk gave 2 and said that is all they had; 4) the ottoman in the room was stained; 5) the bathroom shower handle fixture was surrounded by heavy corrosion, the shower curtain had a fishing weight attached to it, and the ceiling and walls in the bathroom were heavily covered with mold; and lastly 6) there were several places on the walls in the room where it looked like someone had wiped bodily fluid on the walls.

The second room was in much better condition. It did not have any odor issues, the furniture was not stained and the walls in the room were free of fluid smears. However, there still issues... 1) there was a hair on the kitchen counter (which had just been cleaned); 2) there was a baby toy on the floor near the bed which indicated they had not been too careful in cleaning; 3) while the fixture and curtain in the shower were ok, the ceiling in the bathroom was covered in mold (albeit a bit less than the first room); and 4) the chairs at the table didn't match (one was a desk chair).

In terms of the "grab & go breakfast" we were told there would be granola bars, muffins and fruit. There was only granola bars, no muffins and no fruit. We attempted to get breakfast at 730am so we asked if we were too late for the other things and the front desk person told us they only had granola bars that day.

Another issue we had was with the price we were charged for the room and the related service. My printed reservation (which I showed at check-in) showed the room rate of $79.99, but my check-in receipt said $99.99 per room. The gentleman who checked me in said that he couldn't fix it at check-in, but that the process was the adjust it at check-out. When we checked out before 9am, I told the front desk person that the gentleman the day before said that she could correct my room rate at check-out. She said that it would have to be done by her manager who came in at noon. She took my cellphone number and said she would call me around noon to let me know the correction took place. Needless to say, I never received a call, text, voicemail or email. Four days later (today) I called the hotel and spoke with a manager. She confirmed that the corporate process was that the room rate was to be corrected at checkout. She had me forward her my email reservations and then she processed the credit for me. The manager was very customer service-focused and professional.

Overall, my impression of the staff working on Sunday (when we checked-in) was that they were inexperienced, immature and overwhelmed with their jobs. I was staying at the hotel with my wife and 5 kids, all of whom commented quite a bit about the unsanitary conditions they found in the room and the wet dog smell. We decided to spend our time in the cleaner room and then just get to sleep since we had been travelling all day and didn't have the energy to look for another hotel room.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We arrived near 10:30 on a Saturday night and left by 9am the next day. Stayed on the 2nd floor. The hotel is in a decent neighborhood and it was quiet in the hotel. The bed is hard as are the pillows. This hotel doesn't have a pool. If you need a quiet safe place to sleep this is a good place.

Room Tip: No Swimming pool and room service is not available which is fine and expected at this type of hotel...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
We want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. We are glad that you had a clean, quiet stay; however, we apologize that your bedding did not meet your expectations. We will use you feedback to continue to improve our hotel.

Thank you again for your kind words. We would love to provide you with another comfortable stay in the future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We went to the hotel because our son had a baseball tournament in the area. Got a really good deal on the room - hotel was rated 2 1/2 stars. We were only staying one night so thought for the price we would take a chance. Big mistake - the room smelled. The check in process was horrible. The floors were filthy and the hotel itself was just gross. Pay a little extra and stay somewhere else. I'm not a picky person this place is awful.

• Stayed June 2014
Tyler, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

We stayed at this branch for 2 days and boy was I ready to leave. We were first sent to room 224 and when we first opened the doors, we were greeted by an awful death smell. The manager then gave us a tour of other rooms available on the third floor that all smelled like smoke. YUCK!! Stay clear of the third floor. The room we got was ok but they will not clean your room and beware that you may run out of toliet paper and towels. Overall I would give it a ONE STAR! It had a bathroom, uncomfortable bed and free breakfast snacks but I would of paid an extra $25 for a better room.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Your review for our hotel was recently brought to my attention. I am very sorry that our hotel did not meet your expectations and that our housekeeping policy was not explained to you at check-in. I can assure you that I am working with the staff to eliminate all odors and enhance our cleaning services. As well, our front desk staff is going to do a better job of communicating how housekeeping works and what amenities we offer in our guests rooms at check-in.

The hotel staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at jsc@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Great location. Very friendly and professional staff. We stayed for three nights for a long weekend and really felt relaxed and refreshed. Thanks to Olga and her staff for a wonderful weekend. We will return!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Steve - Thank you for your great review of our property . It's great to hear that you were pleased with our hotel's location, friendly staff, and location. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Tucson, Arizona, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Ok we drove into Houston expecting no problem finding a hotel, however everything was booked!! We finally got a room here after a huge ordeal of booking over the phone, then the front desk refusing us a room, saying they were booked... anyway, we got into our room about 1:30am and it was disgusting... dirty towels in the bathroom, public hair on the toilet, stands in the toilet, used toilet paper, filthy countertops with water stains and more hair and the comforter had blood stains... dirty cup on the kitchenette counter and trash on the floor. I have pictures I will upload. We had to wake up early for a cruise and just slept fully clothed, not touching anything. We checked out early to head towards our final destination. Highly recommend you skip this one. Wow.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Julie - I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. The situation you described regarding your recent stay at our property is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. I will be meeting with our housekeeping staff to review our cleaning standards and procedures to ensure your experience is not repeated. I do appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. If you have any additional feedback, please contact me at jsc@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
New Braunfels, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

It is literally right across the street from Nasa, within walking distance to restaurants, cvs, and Nasa landmarks. The breakfast includes the standard waffle iron cream cheese bagel setup. Limited seating if the area has a few people eating.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center

Address: 1410 Nasa Rd 1, Clear Lake City, TX 77058
Location: United States > Texas > Texas Gulf Coast > Clear Lake City
Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( Wi-Fi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Wheelchair access
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clear Lake City
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center 2.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Extended Stay, Priceline, Tingo, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Venere so you can book your Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Extended Stayamerica Houston-Johnson Space Hotel Clear Lake City
Extended Stay Clear Lake City
Clear Lake City Extended Stay
Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center Clear Lake City, TX

If you own or manage Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.