“Thanksgiving Tradition at Lost Pines” 5 of 5 stars

Double Your Points
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cedar Creek
GreenLeadersGold level
Texas
“Thanksgiving Tradition at Lost Pines”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

We have been going to this Hotel since it opened. We started going to stay there for Thanksgiving since 2006. We usually go there every other year! This year 3 other families decided to join us. We all had a blast! We had ages from 7 to 79! We ejoyed the beauty the resort has to offer, the fabulous food and the wonderful hospitality from the staff. I enjoyed the great spa early Thanksgiving morning. We also enjoyed the Texas A & M football Team staying there. Gig 'em Aggies. The ladies all went shopping at the nearby San Marcos Outlets on Black Friday. We enjoyed spending time together. This is a great family place; but also can be a romantic place as well my husband and I are already planning our Valentines Celebration at Lost Pines

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
lauraf00, Social Media Coordinator at Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 7, 2011
What a great tradition and we're honored to be part of it. We were so pleased to read your comments and we're happy you and your family found much to do while visiting over Thanksgiving – you have affirmed there really is something for everyone! We thank you again for your words and hope to see you back next year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

I just read some of the other reviews...we left on New Years Eve and we saw many checking in. We had been told that the resort was full. And they were really preparing for it. I was so very impressed with the staff. Everyone had a smile and were willing to please. This was one of the most relaxing vacations my husband and I have had. There were a lot of children but everyone had an activity and I was impressed by those. We are not golfers but that did not seem to be a problem. We used the resort as a base for taveling in the area. The meals that we had were very good....the breakfasts especially. There were many hiking paths along the river and the resort is right next to a state park. I was wishing that our family of 9 grandchildren could have been with us. There was something for every age. This resort has done a great job of providing for everyone. Yes parts were pricey but when one goes to a resort, one would expect so. Anyway...we had a great time.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

My husband and I took our three kids (12, 10, 8) to Lost Pines for New Year's Eve and had a great time. When I booked the trip, I was a little hesitant because the New Year's Eve package is pricey (almost $500 after adding meals for a 3rd child) for an overnight trip, but I have to say I was impressed with how well done everything was. There were lots of extra activities besides the resort's many regular activities - longhorn rides, crafts, a movie room, a video game room, party favors, champagne and sparkling cider for kids, a carnival with games, a ferris wheel, tilt-a whirl, and petting zoo, wagon rides at night. The atmosphere felt festive and celebratory the whole time we were there, like a town fair. The pool was heated and my kids loved getting to swim outdoors in the middle of winter. The two meals included in the package (New Year's Eve dinner and breakfast the next morning) were really good, much better than [the typical hotel banquet food] I expected. I was also impressed with how well everything was staffed, and how friendly and helpful the staff was. We didn't have to wait long or at all to do anything, which I thought was remarkable given the number of guests. Oh, and I almost forgot . . . the fireworks were great. Overall, I had the same feeling I've had after going to Disney World . . . yes, it was alot of money, but everything was so well done that it was a good value.

San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

I booked a Junior Suite with my family for the New Year's weekend activities. My parents were able to book rooms for themselves and my siblings using points without difficulty. The weekend was amazing and practically hassle-free. It was incredible and I will get my one gripe out of the way.

I booked online, looking for the New Year's package. Since we are a family of five, booking online is always more complicated and the Junior Suite appeared not to be an option for the package, which included an evening and a breakfast buffet for four only. When I later called to make activites reservations, I asked if the dinner buffet was included in my reservation and was told yes. Once there, I found out that it was not because I had used the "best available" rate and not the package. I could, however, purchase the package for $60.00 per person, which was way too much since my kids are not big eaters. This turned out to be OK because the rest of the extended family had booked on points and were also not eligible for the buffet package. We ended up having great meals at the Shellers bar with outstanding live music, which to our taste was better than a large buffet in a conference room.

The buffets were the only things we did not have access to during the weekend. We did obtain a party favors bag for four, which included hats, noise makers, and mardi gras type beads. Glasses of sparkling wine were also being served at check in.

The activities were too numerous to participate in all of them, including a small carnival with Ferris wheel, midway, and bouncy house. There was a full bar right next to the bean bag toss. The drinks were small and pricy, but immediately available when thirst struck. The night was clear and cold, but the staff worked hard to make sure gas heaters were well distributed around the area.

Also available were s'mores at several warm fire pits. I can't comment on the buffet for the above reasons. The food and drinks at the bar were very good, the service and atmosphere were excellent. The band was a lively blues trio that interacted with the audience well.

At the casual dining restaurant, Firewheel (?), a stage and dance floor had been set up. There was a Country music band that sounded great and there were lots of people two stepping. We did not get a chance to go there but, again, because there was so much to do. We, instead, went on a Percheron horse drawn carriage ride that was also free of additional charge. The ride was relatively short, and the wait was a bit long, but partly because we had a group of 13 adults and children and we were able to all ride together. The waiting area was set up comfortably with chairs and heaters. The staff in this area was organized and kept things moving. The staff on the ride was friendly and informative, and also alerted us to the fact that the horses' shoes would be changed the next day, and this was open to the public. We would probably not have known about this otherwise. We did go and it was fun to watch and get closer to these giant horses.

The ringing in of the new year was celebrated at 11 p.m. with the Times Square dropping of the ball in New York. This was kind of funny but also OK because it was very cold and with all the activity the kids were worn out. Chairs and pool chaises were set out in rows in the direction of the fireworks display. Large inflatable lamps the size of weather balloons floated around the field during the seating, while glasses of sparkling wine were set out for the guests. The countdown was displayed on a large screen and on "Happy New Year," the screen was turned off and the live fireworks began along with a music selection with a Western movie flavor that ended with the John Williams Superman theme. The fireworks themselves were pretty spectacular.

This was basically done by 11:15 and the staff whisked in and cleared everything out by 11:45 as the guests raced inside to get out of the cold. By midnight we were back in our suite celebrating our extended family coundown.

The next day was also full of scheduled activities. There was the package buffet in the same conference room. We instead went to Firewheel, where there was also a very good buffet and because most other guests had the package, there was no wait, the food was hot, and we had the place mostly to ourselves. After this we went to see the Percherons being shoed.

We had booked a horse trail ride about 5 days in advance of our trip and were able to get the last 7 slots available. Again, fairly expensive but well organized and a great experience riding with two of my children, ages 8 and 10. The 45 minute ride went along the golf course and into some hilly terrain through the brushy central Texas woods of the McKinney Roughs Nature Park along the Colorado River. The horses were good, healthy trail horses and the staff was excellent, particularly with the kids. Helmets were required for children and optional for adults but available and included in the price. We also saw some kids at the horse camp in an enclosed area that seemed to be having fun, but the trail ride was great for us as a family.

The pool was heated and the hot tub was more heated. My kids insisted, so we went and it was fine as long as you stayed in the water. The water in the lazy river and the water slide were not heated and seemed ice cold to me, but there were a few polar bear club wannabes in there who seemed to be having a good time.

We had dinner again at Shellers, and the live music was a folky duo that were also good. There was a showing of Toy Story 3 in a conference room, but we had seen it recently. We did go for s'mores, which were again very good. After dinner, we tried to go for an outdoor activity called glow in the dark putt putt, but it was way too cold and even the kids preferred to go back in to watch pay-per-view Megamind and enjoy our room.

On Sunday, we packed up, requested late check out, which we were given for 3 p.m. We went for a nice bicycle ride along the Colorado. There are a good number of bicycles available to borrow for free, but up until this point in the trip, there were not enough of the right combination of bikes for our family of five to all go together. With most of the crowds gone, there were plenty, as well as scooters.

We had lunch at Firewheel before checking out. I had a little problem with some chili served cold, but they brought be out a fresh bowl and comped it, which I even told them was not necessary (but didn't argue further). Everybody was pleased with their meal.

I included a lot of detail I was not able to find in the previous reviews on this site before the trip. I was particularly concerned because the rest of my family decided to follow my lead and I wanted to make sure it was worthwhile.

New Year's Eve always has the potential to be anticlimactic but this was GREAT! I did not find them stingy with the sparkling wine as someone had mentioned, but it wasn't particularly great tasting. This is mostly a symbolic glass for toasting, I think, and several bars were serving a wide selection of drinks. The activities were definitely geared to families with smaller children, but there was a prix fixe dinner at the nicer restaurant for adults traveling without kids, and a teen activity room was available. There were some complaints about distances in previous posts. It is a big sprawling place but it is set up as kind of an adventure/outdoorsy resort and the sense of openness was very relaxing. Despite the 2,000 guests we were told were staying there, the crowds were never overwhelming.

I did give less than full marks for value and rooms. Although you do get a whole lot of resort and activities included for your money, it is expensive to begin with and food and drinks add up. Additional activities like the riding, spa, and golf are also pricy. However, not unreasonably so, and you could go there and not do any of those things and not feel deprived of a great experience. I took off for the room because although the furniture was very nice, updated, and solid, the finishes in the bathrooms and rooms are just a notch below premium. We stayed here a few years ago, shortly after it opened, and there has been further development of the grounds. The quality of the food has also improved since our first stay. I'm not sure if the high speed internet was free or not, but there was no wi-fi network.

Ultimately, I can't say enough about how friendly and accommodating the staff were and how hard they worked to make it seem effortless. Highly recommended, especially for families, and for holidays, as many of these activities were particular to this weekend.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

As I stood in line awaiting service, I heard Eileen (an overnight front desk check-in agent) dealing with a customer in line, she was very CURT and loud. When she got to me, she was very loud, telling my business to all in earshot range. She was not friendly and certainly not what a manger would expect from a Hyatt employeee, especially since this chain is supposed to set a higher standard. Had it not have been for other employees and their pleasant attitudes, I would not revisit this hotel. Try giving her a lesson on how to treat your customers who are paying for services at your hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
lauraf00, Social Media Marketing Coordinator at Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 4, 2011
Dear Guest,
I'm so sorry that you did not receive the level of service that we we strive for at Hyatt Lost Pines. If you would be so kind as to share your contact information, we would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you so that we can better understand the situation and work to ensure that your next visit delivers consistent service throughout your stay. We take your feedback seriously and would appreciate a few moments of your time.
Laura Felux
Social Media Coordinator
jettwalker
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

Endless narrow, winding hallways, sounds of screaming, running, whining children...walking and walking and walking down endless hallways to get to your room. A rabbit warren. Heaven help you if your key doesn't work, as you will have to walk all the way back to the front desk to get a new one.

Do not get rooms 1609 or 1611 or the ear piercing sound of air-hockey and squealing children will continue throughout the day.

We are here for an 80th birthday and reunion of women...all mobile, energetic between the ages of 45 and 85. An adventurous group...but we were NOT prepared for the Disney-crowds in mid-November, the swarms of people sitting on every couch and ottoman. Nor were we prepared for the lack of QUIET dining. It is definitely kid, and younger family friendly, but even my 10 & 14 year old would be bored. Face painting and pony rides is more for ages 2 to 9...

Walking seemingly 200 yards down a narrow hallway to get to our room, it seemed endless. The same menu is used in the restaurant and the separate bar...how much Texas Chili can we possibly eat? I was looking forward to sitting outside in the beautiful weather, reading a book, but there isn't a quiet place EXCEPT in our room.

Would I stay here again? Maybe 5 years ago. Is this a romantic place for a couple...definitely not. Is this a place for an all women's weekend to lounge and get spa treatments...uhhhhh, definitive NO...don't EVEN try to get spa treatments unless you call weeks in advance...

Stay home, rent a movie or read a book in your bedroom.

• Stayed November 2010
lauraf00, Social Media Coordinator at Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 23, 2010
Dear Guest,
We take your comments very seriously and would like to have the opportunity to discuss them with you in person. Please send your contact information and best time to reach you to laura.felux@hyatt.com
Kind regards,
Social Media Coordinator, Laura Felux
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

My husband and I just spent 3 nights with our two dogs at this beautiful resort. The staff was friendly and helpful and always willing to go above and beyond. Our dogs were well received by the staff and guests. We spent most of our time outdoors because it is so peaceful and natural looking. We are both inexperienced at horseback riding but the trail leader, Amy, was very helpful in making it a fun and safe ride for us. We ate all our meals except one at the Firewheel Cafe, and we were never disappointed. We are planning a trip next year in early May. Great for a few days away from the hustle bustle of Houston.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!