“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Austin, Texas
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

Expected really great things from a hotel of this caliber. Surroundings were peaceful when we drove in, and a select group of people were really great, but in general, I think the value wasn't there for the expense.

Before we arrived, we called for an early check in. We were told a midday arrival was fine and there should be a room ready (the longest we would have to wait would be 20 minutes. We went to the front desk and were promised a room in half an hour. Half an hour of waiting, we checked back in. Still no room. We were told another half hour.....and we checked back. No room. Our luggage was kept out in full view, with a laptop, and not put away (concerning on many levels). We checked again, still no room. You get the picture. It was 3 pm and sitting out in the sun in 110 degree heat so our son could swim as we promised was no luxury. We were told there was an "engineering problem" in the room were were going to have, so with some insistance we were finally assigned a room at 3:30 (regular check in was 4). Seriously?

My husband is an active member of the Army who is disabled now (waiting for retirement) and there were no accommodations in the room we finally accepted, which required me helping him in and out of an uncomfortable bath.

That evening as we were eating, my son was drinking a glass of water and almost swallowed a two piece glass shard. Now, I must say the people in the Regency Room were really terrific and apologized, gave us a voucher for breakfast, etc. They were really wonderful and the highlight of an otherwise terrible trip.

Next day we swam, I used the spa (not anything to write home about--I've been in better), and came back to the room at 4:15 to take showers. Housekeeping hadn't come, so we had no towels. When we stopped the housekeeper in the hall and tried to take a towel and explain what had happened (which is really what we wanted), she refused us. She could speak NO ENGLISH at all. It was an hour later before we had towels and almost missed dinner, not to mention sitting around in a wet swimsuit.

Major Neighbors Grill was really disappointing. My medium well filet was well done, and my husband's New York Strip was so well done he couldn't chew it (he ordered medium well). This after we were told the chef NEVER overcooks anything. Really? Desserts were less than extraordinary. Stick to Firewheel Cafe.

The sunset float was fun and enjoyable, albeit hot. and our seven year old loved the pony ride. In the end, after several complaints, the manager comped our rooms, but what we really wanted was a special trip before school started, which was jaded by really poor service. Overpriced, really a letdown.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Missouri City, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

My husband and I had stayed at this hotel about two years ago without our children, and we loved it. We recently returned as a family, and we were still very pleased. I agree that the rooms and resturants are a bit pricey, but we still enjoyed it. There are just a few things that I think the Hyatt can improve on.

The first would be that the Hyatt change it's children's programs. At present, Camp Hyatt is for ages 3 and up, and they must be potty trained. What about those families who have children who are younger than three, or who have very stubborn 3 year olds who refuse to use the potty? It would be great if the Hyatt would create a program for children who are younger. It would not have to be as active as Camp Hyatt, but just a place where the little ones could play while their parents enjoy some time alone. I am sure that many parents would take advantage of this service.

The second suggestion I would make would be for them to add more umbrellas so that people are not roasting out by the pool. It gets VERY hot in Texas, so it makes it very uncomfortable when you are trying to enjoy time by the pool, and you are being baked at the same time.

Lastly, they need to add more tables ( at Old Bucks) for those who do not want to eat by the pool. Unfortunately, I saw more than a few tables occupied by people who were not even sitting at the tables eating...they were playing in the pool.

All in all, my kids had a blast, so we were happy !

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

I stayed at this hotel with my extended family. It was my sister's idea to book three rooms at the Hyatt because she has stayed there before and loves the place.However I have mixed reviews. The room was clean and the hotel had lots of staff and everyone was friendly and helpful.Everything seemed clean and well maintained. There were some free activities also like a horse drawn carriage ride and smores for the kids.
The rooms are expensive and the activities are very expensive. I signed my kids up for rock climbing and a horse camp. Both were cancelled due to weather which was not the fault of anyone at the hotel although I was disappointed that on the day that it did not rain the horse camp was still cancelled because they said it was muddy. Those were two activities I did not think were too outrageously expensive.Some of the activities I did not even consider signing up for were a hour of horseback riding and skeet shooting because the price seemed ridiculous and for a family of four it just was not worth it so I just picked a couple of activities for the kids but again they didn't get to do the activities because of the weather.
I ended up not liking the location because we were just kind of stuck in our hotel with the bad weather. There is not much to the town. There is no nearby shopping or anything of much interest outside of the hotel. The hotel had a restraunt with a big buffet. I am always watching my weight but my parents kept urging me to order the buffet because to get even a salad is as much as the buffet , not to say that the buffet is cheap but the menu items are overpriced. The buffet is pretty good especially for dinner. The pastries at the breakfast buffet were all stale and the coffee was terrible but I am used to drinking Community coffee. When you pay a lot for things you tend to have higher expectations. I would recommend this hotel to people who are not on a budget and if the weather is good there is a lot to do at the resort. I will say on the pool was very nice and my kids had a nice day on the one day it did not rain at the pool with the lazy river and water slide.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

We have stayed at Lost Pines about 5 times both with our immediate family and in larger groups of friends as it's only a 3 hour drive from our home in Dallas.
We are all well traveled and love this resort for it's family friendly focus.
The food is good for a resort of this caliber and size and while on busy weekends they sometimes struggle with the crowds at the main restaurant I think they do a great job based on the influx of people.

This trip was a little bothersome for us for 2 main reasons
1. We had several issues with the physical facilities of our room(s)
2. New policy of allowing coolers at the pool

Regarding our room, when we first checked in we noticed a very strong mildew smell and traced it to rotting drywall next to the shower in the main bathroom. The wallpaper could be peeled back to find a large area of mold.
The resorts first solution was to (and I'm not kidding) spray bleach on it, caulk it and fix it after we left. The smell was overwhelming and they moved us to a new room after 2 hours or so.

The new room was fine except that the A/C in it didn't work well and so after we got through the first night they came in and fixed it. They were very professional and nice about it but having people in our room for 4 hours was not ideal. Fortunately, we spent most of that time at the pool but just inconvenient if you needed back in the room.

The most disturbing part for me was that they didn't seem to have thoroughly cleaned the room in a long time. It was there first busy weekend of the year and it appeared to me they were just unprepared for it.
There were bugs and dirt all over our windowsills and the amount of bird droppings on the porch outside was sick.
I mentioned something to the housekeeper and to the front desk when we checked out but they never cleaned it up or followed up. We didn't ask for anything I just thought after our experience they might have been a little more apologetic. At $400-$500 a night plus food it's really not a fair trade to have a room like that.

On the second point, it's nice that they allow coolers at the pool but it also draws and different crowd than we were used to. There were lots of people loaded up with beer so they didn't have to pay the hotel (Which is not exactly cheap) but it just seemed tacky to us.

I like this resort and the staff but this was a bad trip to kick off our summer vacation.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Aledo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

We just had our family reunion at Hyatt Lost Pines. Very Nice Resort. Spread out over vast acreage; Check in was really slow at 2pm - room wasn't ready until after 4; Long walk to hotel room; Golf course was green and lush but forgettable -Recommend playing after 5pm for twilight rate; Dinner buffets were nice; Breakfast buffet was overpriced; In fact, everything was over-priced including the stay; Price gouging everywhere; But, if you are prepared for resort prices/fees, this is a fantastic place to stay; Lazy River was great.

Dallas,Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

This is the perfect place for a family vacation. There is something for children of all ages and adults can still feel like they get to relax in a nice hotel with all the amenities. The staff is extremely friendly and will do everything possible to ensure you have a great stay.

Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

This hotel had without doubt the best customer service I have seen in the US. We had two double rooms which were ok, beds were uncomfortable and the room was damp from humidity. TV's need updating and how about some kids channels like Nick etc.

Restaurants were good and I did not feel like we were being ripped off with hotel prices, however their buffet was often empty or you were scraping food from the bottom of the pan, it was good food but not refreshed enough, we had a problem one night but their service manager was awesome in fixing it and even called us the next day to check we were ok.

pool area and slide, lazy river were great but not enough shade areas and really strange music. No pool side service for drinks etc. had to walk to the bar. Also pool was way to hot.. Spa services, Golf and activities are just ridiculously priced so we did exactly none of those which is a shame I bet if they lowered prices they would have more takers and ultimately get more revenue.

We had a great time though and the service was really really good, will go back again

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!