“Overrated” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Houston
“Overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

The location is gorgeous. Nice golf course and views of the Colorado river. Fun pool facility with freezing cold water (they said it was heated??) However, for a hotel with over $300 a night rooms the least you expect is a decent and quiet restaurant open at all times. Unfortunately, two of the cafeterias they have remind me of loud and cheap college days meals and the "chic" restaurant did not even answer their reservations number. They are famous for horse back riding...if you are lucky enough to get an opening.. call with two days in advances and found out that all rides, floats, etc was booked solid for four days. Very disappointing!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

Loved it!! Great staff. Beautiful and peaceful hotel and grounds. Great if you have kids! Loved it!!

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

Stayed with two sons, 8 and 10, over spring break week. There is lots of stuff for kids to too. We enjoyed fishing in the river, hiking along and in the river, the pool, the lazy river, the bikes, and the restaurants. We also had a nice horseback ride,. Did not have a chance to golf, play tennis, or use the spa.

This is designed to be a place you go and stay for several days. It is not a good place to stay and try to explore Austin - too far out of town.

Tips:

1. The drinks are pricey - so take a cooler with your own stock. There are several convenience/grocery stores on the highway to the resort to stock up. We even saw people with their own coolers at the pool. Staff did not seem to care.
2. Consider bringing your own bikes/skateboards/scooters for kids. They have bikes, but they are sometimes out of ones that "fit", and they are not in the best condition.
3. Bring fishing poles and bait if you want to fish - they are not provided. We caught several catfish and a bunch of perch in the river - did not try the lake.
4. They have a "bottomless" kids cup for about 10 bucks. Get if the first day and use throughout the stay - saves a bunch.
5. I personally liked the first floor room we had. Had a bit larger patio and the kids could play in the grassy area just outside the room. So I would suggest you request first floor.
6. Self-park. They have shuttles to/from parking lot. If you don't, you may face a long wait for valet.

We did use room service - was on time and as ordered.

It is pricey - but you know that going in. Overall, we give it a thumbs up!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

I have just returned from a long weekend stay at this fabulous hotel. I travel constantly and extensively around the world for business related trips and can honestly say I have never stayed in any hotel where I came away yearning to go back so quickly. Even with a conference of a couple of hundred people going on we felt as though his place was just catering for us and the individual attention we received was second to none. A real treat and credit to manager and his staff.

As for the negative reviews I read in Tripadvisor.......
1: I agree they should do away with the internet charge. In this day and age internet is such a big part of everyones life that for hotels to claw back money out of patrons is really not cool.
2: Saying this hotel is too remote and far away from everthing....well duh, surely thats the point. If you want to visit a city or have a choice of restaurants and nightlife well go stay in a city and not a country retreat...pretty dumb those comments.
3: Saying the food and drink is too pricey and talking about bringing your own...come on people. Surely we all know this is towards the high end of hotels and of course food is going to be pricey. Its the same in every high end hotel in the world so to moan about that or have it come as a shock just means you havent realised what sort of hotel you are booking into surely?

Anyway here are my personal comments on the place....

Arrival
As per some other comments on this site, your GPS system may not readily pickup the road the hotel sits on. This is I guess due to the fact that the whole resort is only a few years old. My built-in car GPS is using a 2009 map DVD and it couldn’t find it. Anyway not a problem if you just tap in the intersection of Highway 21 and 71 or alternatively type in Bastrop. It’s not exactly hard to find from these locations, being on the main Highway 71.
The hotel is set back from the main road via a grand road entrance and ‘roller coaster’ 3 mile driveway that was a real pleasure to drive. It only added to the anticipation of what to expect after the dreary journey across bland Texas countryside to get there. Then you drive down into the hotel entrance and are welcomed by the valets and invited to park up. The whole ambience for the weekend is set right there and these guys should be commended for instilling that feeling of ‘arrival’. They unpacked the car and gave me the option of self park of valet park. I had heard of the higher valet park prices on Tripadvisor and as I intended to stay put for the weekend I chose to self-park. This wasn’t any issue for them and they temporarily parked my vehicle for me as my wife and I checked in.

Check-in and first impressions
They say first impressions count and this place took our breath away. It really has the feeling of some mountain lodge retreat, very reminiscent of hotels in the Alps we have stayed in and gave an immediate impression of luxury and grandeur. The check-in process was stress free and the ladies behind the desk were very polite and made us feel at ease. Then the bellboy took our belongings and prior to showing us our room took the time to tell us a little of the history of the hotel and where all the amenities were. The whole hotel from lobby, corridors, and public spaces to your room is immaculately maintained and very clean and I commend the cleaners and maintenance staff for that.

Room
We had opted for a room without a balcony and were shown a room on the top floor of the North wing which had stunning vistas across to the Colorado River. The room itself was spacious and pretty luxurious with a large TV and fridge. I have had better rooms in some 5 star hotels in Europe but this is certainly the best one I have ever stayed in during my time in the USA. Very comfortable and everything you need apart from perhaps a mini-bar. Strange they didn’t have one but I guess that is a hotel policy? As for complaints from others on this site about $4 water…well if you can’t afford it don’t drink it!

We ate the first lunch in the firewheel café which had a buffet available. The food was great and plentiful. It was certainly worth the money and we enjoyed soaking up the atmosphere in there planning our weekend. However that night we had booked the Stories restaurant and boy what a treat that was. I can honestly say I have perhaps only once in my life felt so positive towards the food served to me in a restaurant. I have eaten in some of the finest establishments in the world and lived for many years in France (the culinary capital of the world). However the chefs there in Stories are to be saluted for producing some exquisite dishes. That first night we ate shrimps, scallops, venison and lamb and topped it off with some great wine. The service was as impeccable as the meal and the whole ambience is a credit to the Hyatt group. In fact we liked it so much we went back for the second night. Pricey…..perhaps but Id pay even more to be able to eat like that again and to be honest as far as high end cuisine goes I have paid 3 times as much in other restaurants and not come away feeling as pleased. A credit to the chef, his team and the waiting staff.

Amenities
Well the whole reason we booked this place was for a romantic getaway and re-connect for my wife and I without the children. We had no intention of moving from the resort for the weekend and there was so much to do there we never actually got round to it all. My wife enjoyed a couple of massage sessions in the Spa which she said was a relaxing oasis of a place whilst I spent time out on the golf course playing a round or two. The golf course was amazing and I expected to feel a little intimidated as I haven’t played for a couple of years. However once out there on the buggy by myself it turned into an enjoyable afternoon chasing the white ball around. My game certainly needs improving but boy what a course. Great views, great holes and at that time on a warm Saturday afternoon I had the place to myself. I only came a cross one other set of golfers ahead of me at the 10th eventually and I quickly jumped ahead of them as I was playing on my own. I loved the place and for a self confessed amateur like me it was just awe inspiring to be out there. I came across hawks and eagles and deer just about of every hole so it also turned into somewhat of a nature ramble!

We also played tennis every day and took advantage of the vast country park and woodland along the river and surrounding the hotel to hike off the excesses of the nights meals. There is also a superb pool complex with volleyball and a 1km long lazy river. We never got time to fit this in to our plans but its one of the best facilities I’ve ever seen in a hotel.

So all in all we loved out romantic get-away weekend at this hotel and would wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone but for now lets all keep it a secret and not tell anyone please!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

We loved this resort. We went with our extended family. We had two suites and two adjoining regular rooms. The rooms were beautiful and the suites were really well laid out. We could put the children down in the bedroom and shut the door and still sit around talking and laughing in the living room.
My son (3 yrs old) LOVED the bikes and biking path. He immediately made friends with the other children staying at the resort and they biked all day long. The pool was open and looked fun, but it was a bit too cold. We let the kids play on the wading beach and dig in the sand. It was perfect for my 3 yr old and my 2 yr old. I enjoyed all the restaurants and especially enjoyed our fancy dinner at Stories. The kids roasted smores one night and had a great time. I spent a lot of time in a lounge chair with a book, soaking up the late autumn sun.
The programs for kids were not really appropriate for my kids. They are for older children. I also was not able to use their camp because my children were not old enough. We brought our golf clubs, but chose to sit in the rocking chairs eating ice cream on the porch rather than to go golfing.
I cannot wait to go back. I hear that their New Year's Eve party is fantastic and I want to try the spa and the horseback riding next time.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

After reading some of the less than flattering reviews, I didn't know what to expect. Luckily, we were impressed beyond our wildest imaginations. This resort is awesome. Even the hotel web site does not do it justice. The setting for the resort is absolutely beautiful, even in the winter! The resort sits back off the highway a good three miles. It's situated in the valley of two huge hills, (the closest we get to mountains in Texas!)Surrounded by pecan trees and fronting the Colorado River. I can't wait to return in the spring when the trees are green and the flowers are blooming. I hear the bluebonnets are fantastic!

I say the "Kellerman's" of 2009 because there are planned hourly family activities, free bikes to ride around the property, nightly movies, smores, a beautiful pool area with two hot tubs, water slide, sandy beach, beach volleyball, outdoor fireplace, horseshoes, playground, miles and miles of hiking trails, an 18 hole golf course, spa, bar, great restaurants and more! Once you are at the resort, there is no reason to leave. All your needs are taken care of. The staff is very, very friendly and accommodating. It's refreshing to see, especially in this day and age where customer service stinks at most businesses. Here, you and your family will be made to feel appreciated!

Our kids loved it, we loved it and we highly recommend visiting the Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort. We will definitely be back

• Liked — The setting of the hotel is beautiful and you can sit and relax or enjoy one of many activities
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

Okay, unless you get lucky with a brand new GPS device you won't be able to get direction to this facility. It's probably 2-3 years old now and is still not in the Hertz "Neverlost" system, nor was it in a 1 year old TomTom. This place is between Austin and Bastrop and that puts it in the middle of nowhere. Just a billboard and a small street sign warn you that you are "almost there". If driving faster than 50 MPH you might sail right by the entrance.

That leads me to my biggest complaint about this facility. There's nothing to do here. Sure, it's a resort, and a spa so why would you want to go anywhere? Well, there's only so much you can "do" when there in January. I like to get out and see the town I'm staying in. It's 20 minutes+ to Bastrop (small town that closes after dark).. It's probably 35-45 minutes to downtown Austin and almost an hour to the "good spots" for entertainment in Austin. So a rental is certainly needed. Don't take a taxi unless you're ready to spend $80+ for a round trip. Plus there are no taxis on site so they have to be arranged before you are ready to go. No airport shuttle either so that's a major letdown.

General hotel review - rooms are spread out in several different directions. If you're there for a "convention" hopefully you're not at the end of one of the hall ways. You'll have to walk 5+ minutes to get to the grand ballroom. Staff is very attentive to your arrival and check in process. About what you would expect for a high end hotel. Just wish they had more than 2 clerks working when they know they have big groups checking in on one day. Had to wait about 10-15 minutes to check in and there were only about 5 people in line. Front desk needs to work better with group bookings to have better staffing and others assisting with the check in and question process when so many people arrive at a new facility all at once.

Rooms - I had a king room fairly close to the front desk. I was sad that I didn't have a door opening to a patio, but more than likely wouldn't have used it. A/C and Heat worked well for the room size. Not too loud either. TV was nice and big and had good picture quality. Desk had back to the windows though with limited room to turn around to work from the other side and watch the outside while working at the desk.

In room fridge and safe were nice to have available.

MAJOR NEGATIVE -- $9.99/day for wireless internet -- ONLY available in the guest room area. No internet available in the grand ballroom or other meeting room areas unless your group buys it for a huge amount of money per day. I can't stand the fact that the major label hotels charge so much per day for the internet when they give it away free at the lower end hotels they operate. Even my group rate of $200/night after taxes and resort fee and to tack on another $10/night for internet is a major complaint that I have. Even though I'm a frequent guest at Hyatt properties they wouldn't "comp" the in room internet upon asking, not even for a 2 night stay.

So my final comments to you if considering this place...if you want to go to a hotel and not leave and not do anything except give them your money and sleep in their bed this this is the place to go. Otherwise stay in Austin and enjoy the city life there.

• Liked — Big Screen with HD channels
  • Disliked — Location, Location, Location - Middle of nowhere!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!