“Relaxed Luxury” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas
“Relaxed Luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We have stayed in this resort a number of times and it is our favorite weekend getaway. The hotel and its grounds are sprawling with all kinds of activities for children and adults. Horseback riding, miniature petting zoo, lazy river pool, hiking - it has it all. The spa is the best place in the entire resort, although now they charge a nominal fee. Be sure to get a room on the lowest floor in order to take advantage of the cool(er) summer nights.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Jill W, PR/Marketing at Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
On behalf of the entire team at Hyatt Lost Pines, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are so honored to be your preferred getaway destination. It is great to know that you enjoy the many activities and amenities that we offer - especially the relaxation provided by Spa Django. A copy of your review will be shared with our staff. Thank you again for sharing your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

863 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
St. Albert, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed at the Hyatt Lost Pines on April 9th through 11th 2013 and had a very relaxed stay. The hotel is about thirty minutes east of Austin in an area that they call Bastrop. The resort has a look akin to a huge ranch which is a great idea since you are in Texas and everything is "bigger in Texas" as they say.
One of the most notable things on our stay was dining in the Stories dining lounge. The menu was unique and the food was incredible. I would highly recommend this place to even the most experienced gourmet as everything from the appetizers to the entree was a taste delight. A top notch selection of wines were available as well to compliment any dish that you would choose.
Right from the opening of the menu to the desert we were so glad that we had the opportunity to dine at Stories.
Tip of the Stetson to the management and staff, and especially to the young man who prepared our meal, at Stories and the Hyatt lost Pines Resort. Our stay was a truly remarkable experience and if we ever have the good fortune to be in the Austin area again we will surely visit again.

Room Tip: The fourth floor rooms don't have balconies so if you want one stay on the first through third f...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback! We are delighted that you chose to stay with us, and are so grateful for the kind words you had to share. The team at Stories will be flattered to read your kind words regarding the cuisine, wine selection at service. We will be certain to pass along your kind words - and Stetson-clad nod - to the team. Thank you again for staying at Hyatt Lost Pines, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon!
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed 2 nights the weekend after easter. It didnt feel too busy but certainly was not empty. We didnt arrive until after 6pm Friday and went out to Bastrop for a late dinner celebration that night and had to go in to Austin for an errand the next morning. So not a whole lot of time to hang out at the hotel. Best asset of this hotel would have to be the helpful and friendly staff. Check in was quick, and our stuff was brought up quickly by a nice gentleman who showed us room amenities and got us ice. Our room was nice spacious and clean with balcony. Also liked the extra counter and mirror across from the bathroom as it allows you to continue getting dressed even if the bathroom is occupied. Bed was comfortable. The in-room wifi was free for the duration of our stay. Our room was near the main lobby so location is very convenient. The room rate is high and so is the breakfast price. Saturday afternoon after our errand and lunch in Austin, we returned and did get to hike the trails and ride the bike. Plus enjoyed the cool breeze on our balcony. Its nice that there is an in-room fridge to keep our drnks cold. Our teens and friends had their own rooms next door to ours and did their own thing, allowing us parents to enjoy quiet relaxing time alone. Our teens used the pool and the bike we think. They also did the 6pm sunset float and said it wasnt worth the $50 per person. This was difficult to set up in the first place because we called in march hoping to ensure that we could get spots for the 6 teens. But we were told to call back the week before as they were too busy to be taking reservations for April ....really now, are we getting this fir free or what !!! Everyone loved the firepit and the smores; the weather was perfect for it. Overall a nice stay. We agree with another reviewer that said the exterior of the hotel reminds them of a large apartment complex and might we add, from the 80s. It certainly isnt an architectural beauty, but the main lobby and our room were nicely designed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are so happy that you chose to stay at Hyatt Lost Pines, and that you and your teens enjoyed some relaxation as well as the activities and amenities. We deeply apologize for the response your received when attempting to make rafting arrangements with our activities department. That service is not our standard, and we will be certain to take this opportunity to review our policies and procedures with the team. We are delighted that you enjoyed the accommodations and relaxing on the balcony of your room. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back for another stay, and we hope to welcome you soon.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We spent Easter weekend here, taking advantage of their club amenities and playing a round of golf - more on that in an additional review of the course...

Our room was pretty nice, but would have liked to be in one with a covered porch for sitting out and enjoying the park in the evenings or daytime reading a book - just too hot if the sun is out in one without cover like what we had - maybe good if you are a sunbather though...

Lots of people brought their dogs which was kind of cool. Most seemed well behaved, sometimes more so than some of the kids running wild! I get pretty ticked when people don't watch their kids... It was a holiday and there were lots of activities, so lots of families - which seemed good for them... If I had kids of that age, I would think that the kids would have a great time.

The Easter Brunch was not as I expected - but it was okay - a bit pricey, however - most of the food was pretty good - we did enjoy the seafood. As for most of the restaurants the food was just so-so - and the wines were not top shelf, but top shelf prices were charged... Ok, so it is a resort... Captive audience!

The place seemed well run - the staff in the Monarch room (club) were super duper. As long as we avoided the times when the club was overrun with kids, it was a good value. Personally, I think it is pretty obnoxious to bring your four kids and yourselves and pay the same price as two adults for access to the club. It just does not seem like a fair deal...

I may be sounding crabby, but we had a good time, really. We might return sometime not on a holiday to see if the relaxation factor could be notched up for us... It is a beautiful setting.

The place is spread out, so, if you are a walker, you'll like it! Lots of trail access for running and hiking around the hills... Gorgeous oaks and mesquite - and very "Hill Country Texas".

Room Tip: Ask for your choice of a covered or non-covered porch...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay. We are so appreciative of your candid comments regarding the monarch room and food and beverage offerings. We will share your thoughts with the team and use this as an opportunity to evaluate and improve our processes. We are delighted that you chose to stay with us over Easter, and would be so grateful to welcome you again for some R&R.
Monroe, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed here the week before Easter (so after spring break and before the holiday weekend). Unfortunately the weather was really cool and cloudy at the end, so we couldn't really enjoy the pool/lazy river much. We went in at the end of our stay but it was cold! Of course, we had it to ourselves, so it was a trade off.

We've stayed at a few Hyatt resorts and all have the pluses and minuses. For us, the biggest plus was the staff. Everyone was really helpful and nice and made us feel right at home. The star of the week was Lloyd Holliday - the omelet guru in the restaurant. Besides making a great omelet, he is a great conversationalist and entertaining in his own right. Definitely made breakfast worthwhile!

We were not as impressed with our horseback ride - we only did the short ride due to one member of our party being a little uneasy around horses, but the views of the golf course were a little overwhelming, as was the long, legalese lecture that made me think that there was a lawsuit not so long ago. The guide was fine, the horses nice, but we'd take the stables at the Tamiya Hyatt in New Mexico any day. Just saying.

The restaurants were all good, liked the food, the buffets had great choices, but be prepared for some steep prices. Really steep. Maybe everything really is bigger in Texas, including the check! But, again, the food was good. Anyway, Austin is only a 30 minute car ride away and we ate most of our post-breakfast meals there.

One last nitpick - we like to ride bikes to relax, but the only place to ride here is along the sidewalks...not too far and pretty dull. We gave up on the bikes on day one.

So, for relaxation with great staff...it hit the mark for us. It was close enough to Austin that we could visit the restaurants we wanted to eat at (Franklin BBQ, anyone?), see the sights and the people, and not be too far away from a nice room and great hosts. We'd stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback. We are so delighted that you chose to stay with us, and that you enjoyed your time here - and in nearby Austin - overall. Thank you for your candid comments regarding your horseback riding experience. We will pass along your sentiments, and your entire review - to our team for review. We will be certain to let Lloyd know how much you enjoyed visiting with him. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to Hyatt Lost Pines, and hope to have the opportunity to do so soon.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I just returned from a business trip to the Hyatt Regency Lost Pines. I spent 3 days at the resort and would definitely recommend it.

First of all, the check in was less than 3 minutes. I arrived at about 1:00pm (early) and my room was ready for me. When I got to my room the first thing I did was turn on the TV or at least tried to turn on my TV. I fiddled with it for about 15 minutes like an idiot trying to get it turned on. The big button on the top I assumed was the ON/OFF button. Well, I was correct, it was the right button but the TV was inop. So, I called the front desk and they apologized for this and said someone would be up to the room within 15 minutes. It only took them 10 minutes to arrive and a very pleasant Steven took a look. He said there was something wrong with the cable box so he explained he was going back downstairs to get a new cable box an then return to install it. He was back in less than 10 minutes with the new box and swapped it out with the bad one. He then called the cable company from my room and had them reboot the system. MAGIC-ALL FIXED! The reason I mention this issue isn't because of the issue but rather how they handled the issue. Things happen in life and this was certainly no big deal. The employees at the Hyatt Regency Lost Pines know what customer service is. They not only fixed the issue I was having, they did it faster than I expected. My biggest appreciation goes out to the hotel from the front desk to Steven, the repair guy. Job well done!!

As far as the resort goes: There is so much to do for families at Lost Pines. When we drove up in front of the resort I must have seen 10 different families walking, riding bikes and just spending time together. I didn't use the pool but I walked by and shot photos of it. The pool is large and it even has a sand beach around one end. There is also a lazy river with tubes for anyone to go down. Many families were taking advantage of this area.

I didn't get to play golf even though I am a big golfer (notice my tripadvisor name!) I didn't have enough time to play but I did walk over to the club house and was going to walk to the 1st tee when a young man asked if he could help me. I said I was just going to walk to the 1st tee because I wanted to get a look at the course. He said "well, it's about 400 yards to the 1st tee so I would be happy to give you a ride on the golf cart." I said I'll take you up on that offer since it's quite a treck up hill and about 400 yards. The point I am making is the young guy could have said either, no you can't go there unless you are playing or he could have said...have a nice walk! Instead, he offered to assist by giving my a ride to the 1st tee. On our short little ride (400 yards) he was telling me about the course and how the land was acquired by the Hyatt from a lady who owned it. He was very engaging and personable. This is the type of people the Hyatt Lost Pines has working for them. Trust me, this doesn't happen everywhere.

The room: My room had two queen sized beds even though it was just me staying there. The beds were extremely comfortable although the pillows were small and not the best for me but that's a personal preference. Free internet was available which is definitely a plus. I was able to keep up with my emails and not get charged for it like at many hotels.

Food: I had lunch at Sheller's Barrellhouse Bar but since I was there for business, much of the food was not at the hotel. When I first checked into the hotel I was starving so I went down to Sheller's and ordered the Mahi Mahi Fish Taco's. OH MY GOD---AWESOME!! Definitely try them if you are a fish lover. Chop up the pepper that's delivered on the side and try it on the taco. If you like a little spice, this is the ultimate taco. Ummm Ummm Ummm!

I also ate at the buffet for breakfast and everything was very good. Again, the people were so nice and couldn't do enough for you. Very well trained!

I didn't use the spa but I was walking with a lady who was just coming out of the spa and I asked here how Django spa was and she said it was excellent. I would tend to believe her but I can't review that first hand. I can't imagine I would complain about someone massaging me anyway!!

The property itself is humungous! It sits on 405 acres but it might as well be 5,000 acres because that's what it feels like. It's so secluded. Everything is spread out so be prepared to walk a lot. The ride alone from the highway to the front entrance takes about 5 minutes winding through a dense forest and up and down hills to the resort. You know it's secluded when it takes that long to reach the main entrance.

So, here's the bottom line on Hyatt Regency Lost Pines. A definite thumbs up. From the customer service, to all the amenities and family activities The Hyatt Regency Lost Pines has it all. Whether it's for business or pleasure they cater extremely well to both. I don't know when I will ever return to Austin but when I do, it will absolutely be to the Hyatt Regency Lost Pines. Then I will make time for my golf!

Room Tip: My room was the furthest from the elevator so ask for a room closer to the elevator if you don't...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind words! We are so happy to know that you were delighted with your stay, and that our staff went above and beyond your expectations. Our chef will be so happy to know that you enjoyed the Mahi Mahi Tacos at Shellers. We will be certain to pass along your thanks to our staff at Wolfdancer Golf Club. It would be our absolute pleasure to welcome you back to Hyatt Lost Pines for another relaxing stay and a round or two of golf. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.
College Station, Tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This resort hotel is fantastic. We have stayed there several times in the past and this trip was the best yet. The service is impeccable and the entire staff is empowered to due whatever would make your trip special. Garrett at the Valet Desk greeted us warmly and was very welcoming, he made a great 1st impression. Samantha at the Front Desk was also wonderful and even arranged for a really late check out for us. Zach in Skellars bar/grill was super friendly with great service. Spa is fantastic but has resort pricing. Houskeeper for 3102 was terrrific as well. We even got a free upgrade to a Jr. Suite which helped make our anniversary trip even more special.The only "knock" is when they say "family friendly" they mean the "kids rule the roost" even in bar where kids are allowed to play pool, etc without adult supervision. Mentioned to a Mgr and he advised they will remove kids after 10 only. There is no place for adults to go to have an adult beverage without the kids runiing, screaming, thowing shuffle board discs, etc. This is only knock. The grounds, activities and staff are second to none. Highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from central patio are quieter if that is what you need. Rooms with balcony/patio...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback. We are so happy that you chose to celebrate your anniversary at Hyatt Lost Pines. It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed your upgraded room, service at Shellers and housekeeping service. We would love to welcome you back when the kids are in school, so you and your wife can enjoy the serene and quiet relaxation that the resort has to offer. Thank you again for your review - we appreciate it very much!

Been to Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!