“Enjoyable family vacation” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Dallas, Texas
“Enjoyable family vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

My children and I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Hyatt Lost Pines Resort. We all had a fun, relaxing time. There is plenty to do at this resort, for both adults and children.

I took advantage of the web check-in before driving to the resort. I received an SMS when our room was ready, which was an hour before normal check-in time. When we arrived at the resort, we parked at the entrance, checked in with the front desk, and then asked for help to unload our car. Another person then took our luggage to our room after I parked the car. (Self-parking is a short distance away; fortunately we always found a parking spot in the front section.)

Our room had a king bed, chair, desk, TV, and mini refrigerator. (Quite a few people bring food/drinks to keep in the room.) Fortunately we also had a balcony, which was nice to sit & read the paper (delivered to the room each morning) or hang our swimsuits to dry. When we requested housekeeping, they did a great job.

We were given an activity guide for the week, which also mentioned activities for nearby McKinney Roughs. We made S'mores in the evening (8-10pm); hosts gave out pre-made kits. Movies started nightly at 8:45, with blankets/towels and popcorn provided. My kids rode bikes (free for 1st hour) but the main attraction for us was the pool area. There is an activity pool (volleyball/basketball) as well as a small beach and hot tub. The lazy river is connected as well as the slide. (Note that there is no lifeguard on duty at the pool.) There were many seats available around the pool/river; most seats by the river were shaded. Food/drink service is provided at the pool. There is also an adult-only pool, which connects to the lazy river.

We ate breakfast at the Firewheel Cafe each morning, as it was included in our room rate. We chose the buffet, which had a nice selection and included our drinks, although we did not eat enough to get the full value. McDade's, near the lobby, serves ice cream, desserts, coffee, etc. It's worth a visit. The hotel is dog friendly; we saw many guest with their dogs. There are also 2 resident dogs, Hoss & Honey, who are on-site at certain times of the week.

We have been to the Hyatt Hill Country Resort as well, but after this visit, we prefer the Lost Pines location, not just because it is closer for us but also because this resort is newer and the service was better overall. You can do as little or as much as you'd like at this resort and enjoy a fabulous time.

Room Tip: Choose/request a room in the South Wing if you want to be closer to the pool. Bring food/drinks to k...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
lauraf00, Social Media Marketing Coordinator at Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Wow! On behalf of Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa, thank you for taking the time to give a detailed review of our resort. We are happy you and your family enjoyed your 5 day summer vacation. It's great to read you took advantage of our numerous activities, and even met our resort dogs, Hoss and Honey. Thank you again for giving us such wonderful compliments. We can't wait for your return!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Overall this is a great place to stay. When you stay here you get the full resort experience. I booked a balcony/regency room. Getting a hypo-allergenic room was a nice surprise and bonus. The water slide, lazy river and beach were awesome. My children enjoyed the crafts and activities provided by the staff. I have read reviews about prices being high..but you get what you pay for. This is not a basic hotel...this is a get-a-away...so enjoy it. The food at Firewheel cafe was great. My kids enjoyed the kid-sized buffet and salad bar. The Trap-shooting instructor was wonderful and our regency room host Shelly was very sweet. The resort grounds are very nice and maintained. Short drive from Austin. If you do not get a close room to the pool...don't worry too much...you will probably need the exercise to burn off extra calories from the amazing food! :-) The only 2 down sides were 1.) the shower drain did not drain too well and 2.) the handicap room access button was pushed by kids...but I let the staff know about it. Great short get-a-way or weekend stay...Don't miss the family movies on the lawn!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
lauraf00, Social Media Marketing Coordinator at Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
On behalf of Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa, thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We are happy you and your family enjoyed your weekend getaway. It's great to read you enjoyed our Crooked River Water Park, kid's activities, Firewheel Cafe, trap shooting and Regency Club. Thank you again for your review. We hope to see you again soon!
Arlington, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I surprised my family, Scott (husband), Kylie (17) and Gracie (10) by taking them to the Hyatt Lost Pines on August 2. We could only do one night due to us going to Lake Travis Zip Adventures the next morning. Wow, how I wish we could have stayed longer. But rest assure, we will be back- for a couples trip and again for a family trip. I cannot express enough how awesome this place is. To find a true resort feel in Texas rather than having to fly out of the country is greatness! The rooms are fabulous; the layout of the resort is fabulous, the dining choices are fabulous, the POOL IS OUT OF THIS WORLD. We didn't want to leave the pool area! The activity list will amaze you. They go way out of their way to entertain every age in your family. We ate lunch at the Firewheel cafe. The food was great; the service was a bit slow, especially when it came to getting our check. Our youngest didn't like what she ordered and they brought her something else- they didn't charge us for either! So that made up for the service. We have many cocktails at the pool bar- service GREAT. Bar service- GREAT! We then had dinner at Stories Fine Dining. Service and food- fabulous!! The hotel is so safe, my husband and I stayed at Stories while the girls went and changed to have smore's and watch the movie on the lawn. Again, I cannot say enough about this place. Although a little pricey, very well worth every penny. I recommend this place to EVERYONE.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
lauraf00, Social Media Marketing Coordinator at Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
On behalf of Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa, thank you for your kind review. We are thrilled to read you and your family enjoyed our resort and all the activities we offer. We can't wait to see you back for a couples getaway. Thank you again for your words. Until next time!
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful time. We knew ahead of time that the pool is the main attraction (this was our fourth visit) and with it being summer, we knew kids would be everywhere! We emailed ahead and asked for a quiet room, near the pool (which we paid extra to be closer to the pool) and the room was fine. The hotel is showing some age, but all in all, it is still a beautiful property. I do agree that some of the "extras" are very expensive and I have only used the spa once, mainly because of price. The food through room service was fantastic. I can not say the same for the pool side menu. It is very limited and the chicken and hamburger came out almost uneatable due to dryness. We had an "Old Buck's" cup from our visit last year and we were told that we could get free soda drink refills at any Hyatt property. What wasn't told to us is that they change the cups every year and do not honor the cup from last year. We probably still would have bought the cup, but just not held on it. The service is not anythng special. I would say that about 50% of the time, we were greeted by property staff. I will probably not return, not because it is not a wonderful place, but because at 300.00 it just costs too much. On the other hand, it made me wonder how all the families were able to afford staying there and still let their kids run wild. For the demographic that can afford a weeks vacation at 300.00 a might, you would think that they would teach their chilfren some manners (Like not jumping off the rocks into the pool with people on inter tubes below). That was a bit annoying. The hotel is about a 10 minute drive from anything, so bring food and drinks or be prepared to eat onsite. I like that it is far away, it gives the resort a nice woodsy feel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
On behalf of Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa, thank you for your detailed review. We are happy to read you and your family enjoyed our resort, room service selection and kids activities we offer. We hope hope you choose to come again next summer. Thank you again.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Unfortunately, my stay was only one night, but it was a wonderful experience. The rooms were spacious and amazingly quiet. Pillows and bed were condusive to a great night's sleep. The staff in the restaurants were very helpful and attentive. Food was great. The grounds were well manicured and there was something interesting around every corner. Will stay again if I get the chance.

Room Tip: We were on the fourth floor and didn't hear a peep from any of the other rooms around us.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
lauraf00, Social Media Marketing Coordinator at Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
On behalf of Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa, thank you for your recent review. We're pleased to read you liked our bedding, grounds, food and service. We hope you have a chance to come back again (and that time longer)!
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

This was the first vacation for my husband with our twin infants (4 1/2) months. We went with my mother, brother, and his wife and 3 kids (ages 7, 4, and 2) for 3 nights/4 days. We all arrived between 4-6pm on a Friday. The valet area was a little crowded, but the self park area is a bit far to carry your luggage, so it is worth it. Checking in is was simple - no line.

Our rooms were in the "Regency Club" area, which gave all day access to The Monach Room. They provided breakfast, snacks, hor d'houvres and desserts at night, as well as sodas, water. They had a self-serve full bar in the evening for a nominal fee. The room also had a big screen TV and 2 computers with internet access. We ate breakfast there every day of our stay and got snacks throughout the day and evening. It was also nice to stock up on sodas and water to keep in our fridge in the room. The rooms were nice. We all (3 rooms for our group) had King beds. We were provided with 2 cribs for our babies, and my brother had 1 crib and a rollaway bed in his room. The rollaway was a full sized twin pillow-top mattress and was comfortable. The rooms were big enough to accomodate the extra furniture. My only complaint was that they put 2 rooms near each other, and the third was far away in a different hallway.

Tons of activities to keep everyone entertained. Our group took part in the Pony Rides, Splashdown Raft Ride in the Colorado River, Meet the Longhorns, nightly S'Mores, candy jewely making, bike & tricycle rentals, and the water park. They had an arcade, kids camp, a sports park too with basketball, etc but we never went to these. The pool area is large enough that we never had to search hard for lounge chairs in the shade. (especially considering we had a group of 10) We didn't have to get up early to go throw towels down or anything like that. The pool attendants were all very nice and prompt with food and drinks. Everything was good. We had dinner in the Firewheel Cafe 2 of our nights. Most of us had the buffet. The food was always good(different theme each night), and the child's buffet was neat. They do have a regular menu for those not wanting the buffet. Of course, the dessert buffet was also delightful. The other night we ate at the pool.

My sister-in-law and I both got pedicures at the spa. My chair was broken so they had to disable the water jets otherwise it made a horrible screeching noise...that was a little disappointing since you're paying $75, but the staff was nice and I still enjoyed the peace and quiet.

We never encountered a rude staff member, and all were very attentive to the guests. Yes, there are a lot of kids, but I would still go there for a couples getaway. There is plenty of room for everyone. It was the first time there for all of us, and we all agreed it would be nice to go back. We drove up from San Antonio, and it was less than 2 hours in the car (including the stop at Buccee's) :-)

Room Tip: The Regency Club offered access to the Monarch Room (open 6am-11pm) for food & drinks, internet...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
On behalf of Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa, we would like to thank you for your detailed review. We enjoyed reading about your family's stay and we're grateful of your kind comments. I am sure many future guests will note each of the tips you've mentioned. It's great to hear you chose our resort for your first family vacation. And we're pleased you liked our food and abundance of friendly staff. We hope to see you and your family back again next summer (maybe making it a family tradition!).
Austin, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

a few suggestions ... need more bathroom stalls and maybe adding shower stalls in the process. and adding another bathroom set up. the room we stayed in on the 3rd floor (junior suite), even number there is a loud sound at night. am pretty sure its an animal sort of sound , but can't tell what kind. when front desk was informed in the am, they gave a response of overpopulation of crickets and all, but my friend's room was across us (odd number) didn't hear anything and their response . . . "oh"
We had b'fast buffet at Firewheel Cafe. . .i hope more selections can be had esp for the price.
The rooms can use for more mirrors as well.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
On behalf of Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa, we would like to thank you for your candid review. We are thankful you have left some suggestions on how to improve our resort. We will pass them along and take them under consideration. We hope you choose to come back to see us again.

Been to Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!