“What an awsome place, experience and people!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 1 Cat Spring B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
The Woodlands, Texas, United States
“What an awsome place, experience and people!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Carol, let me first say that you have a magnificent ranch, restaurant and setting for virtually any event. Thanks for making our wedding day so extra special! Getting to know a bit of "your story" plus having the pleasure of following your lead during our ceremony and eating your great cooking, you have a knack for people. We feel blessed in locating you and adding you as a friend in out life! We pray that God continues revealing His dynamic plan in the year's ahead. Please know that we do plan to return in the near term to reminisce and explore more of your facilities. Thanks again for all of your hard work and facilitating a great day and evening!

Ps, we offer a shout out to Skeeter Hagler! I never would have imagined that we would ever be in the presence of any Pulitzer Prize winner, much less have one shooting pictures of us... He is a spectacular man and we are elated to have had him capture so many rare moments for bragging later in life!

Room Tip: Just call Carol and she will handle all details...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Carol D, Owner at BlissWood Bed and Breakfast Ranch, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thanks for taking time to post your review, and I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay. It was an honor and a pleasure to have you at BlissWood, and thanks for choosing this venue for your elopement. You are a delightful couple and I wish you many blessings in your married life.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
the woodlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My wife and I spent her birthday there in Dec. 2012. I was very disappointed in the accommodations. We stayed at the Oasis. I do not recommend this place. It looked as if no one has be there in 20 years or a scene out of Friday the !3th "Camp Crystal Lake". Everything was over grown the green houses were died and the others were empty with died foliage. An area where I guess and animal resided was also over grown. The pool area was blocked by a 3-4 foot piece of plywood you had to hop over to get to the open pool. The foliage was also over growing into the pool and there is no one to contact in the area. The doors don't lock properly and the photos on line are old because the paint on the houses are faded now. There is no phone reception just like a horror movie. Oh there flier in the room doesn't recommend you going outside at night......................."you might be hacked up but Jason"
When I went to the restaurant where the owner was; to resolve this issue the owner sent someone who doesn't even work for her to speak with me about a refund. He told me the owner would refund the money and if I wanted I could find a hotel in town for the night because they had no other accommodations. Funny; stay somewhere else. The older gentlemen I spoke with was nice but had no idea of what the owner would refund........that was so unprofessional.
Finally, after calling a few days later I spoke with the owner and she said the gentleman I spoke with was just helping her and he did not make decisions for her. "So why send him to talk to me if she was in the restaurant that night." I recommend not paying up front like they want you to until you see the accommodations or purchase the packages that look like crap on a plate cheese platter and strawberries that looks like my 6 year old put together in a hurry.
There is no true person to speak to one of them lives in Houston an hour way and the other sends other people to speak for her so she can tell you later after you go home; they would not refund all your money. Scam find another place.

Oh look up the restaurant reviews also. She own it too and I didn't write it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Carol D, Owner at BlissWood Bed and Breakfast Ranch, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for taking time to post a review. I remember you very well. You were here on November 3, 2012, arrived after dark and stayed about 2 hours. I understand you say you were disappointed, and I am sorry that you did not get to stay and enjoy your weekend with all the activities that you had requested and that we had scheduled for you. We are at the Oasis every day to take care of all the landscaping upkeep and there are no dead plants or empty greenhouses. The pool area is not blocked by a 3-4 foot piece of plywood, nor is there foliage growing into the pool. Our doors all lock properly. Photos online are not old and there is no faded paint. Lastly, we absolutely do not have a flyer in the room that says “You might be hacked up but Jason.”

Since I am both the owner and the chef at the restaurant, I was not able to leave the kitchen area when you arrived, and I sent a gentleman out to speak with you. This gentleman lives on my ranch and is not employed by me. He volunteers to help me at times when I may need help. I did ask this gentleman what the conversation was between the two of you, and he said that you told him, “My wife is scared and we are leaving,” and he never said that “the owner would refund the money.” He asked if you were going to go home and you said, “We might find a place in town.”

As I mentioned above, I’m the chef at the restaurant and I simply could not leave the kitchen while cooking for guests. My policies are clearly stated that ½ of the lodging fee is due at the time of making the reservation, and the balance will automatically be charged 14 days prior to arrival. Our packages are meticulously arranged on the day of arrival and strawberries are fresh and hand dipped the day of arrival.

I have been in this legitimate B&B business for 12 years and am not a scam. I carry my telephone with me 24/7 and am available for guests if they need anything, and guests are also furnished with a Guest Services telephone number, which is answered by someone at the B&B 24/7.

My restaurant has been open for 10 and a half years, and our guests verbally comment on how much they enjoyed the food, the service, and the ambience as they are leaving the restaurant after dining, very happy. I just wish you would have had the opportunity to dine at the restaurant so that you could have experienced what other happy guests experience and would know why they leave happy.
League City, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed in the Texas Farmhouse at BlissWood 12/14-16. We found the house itself, including its history, amazing. Carol has done an outstanding job in making the house feel like it should during the turn of the century. At the same time, it doesn't feel like you're sleeping in a museum; you feel right at home. You get the house to yourself, but you might find yourself sharing the porch with some friendly peacocks. My wife woke up and went into the kitchen to find a peacock staring at her through the window. Not something we get to experience on a daily basis, and that's just one thing that made this place feel really unique and remarkable.

The animals around the ranch really add to the experience, and at the Texas Farmhouse your backyard is a view of horses, donkeys, peacocks, turkeys, and probably a bunch of other stuff we weren't there long enough to see.

The ranch is quiet and peaceful. We rented a golf cart for the day and drove around the area and really had a great time with it. There are plenty of dirt roads to ride around on, either in the golf cart, a bike, or just hiking. The property is large, beautiful, and well kept. I surprised my wife with a picnic package (which BlissWood offers) at the Enchanted Lake gazebo and that made for a memorable experience, I can't more highly recommend that if you're bringing your significant other.

We had dinner for the two nights we stayed at BlissWood over at Carol's Restaurant, just a few miles away. I don't think I can say enough good things about this place, and my only complaint is not having this place closer to where we live. The menu offering is simple, but the food is outstanding.

I had steak the first night, and it was without a doubt the best I've ever had. I'm pretty critical when it comes to steak, and it was fantastic. I had salmon the next night, and it was perfectly cooked. We also tried a couple of the cocktails - a Texastini and a Prickly Pear margarita. Both expertly prepared. Everything looked and tasted fresh, and the atmosphere in the restaurant was great.

We can't wait to go back and highly recommend BlissWood!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Carol D, Owner at BlissWood Bed and Breakfast Ranch, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
It was a great pleasure to share BlissWood with you this past weekend. People like you who get the essence of BlissWood and what it was created for help me to continue my labor of love and to strive for wonderful guest experiences here. I also enjoyed cooking the perfect steak for you at my restaurant, Carol's at Cat Spring! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We have just had a wonderful three day trip at Blisswood Ranch. We chose Blisswood Ranch recommended by one of my children's school mom. We rented a very nice cabin called Lehman House with two bedrooms plus a loft. It was very clean, cozy and surrounded by a beautiful landscape with amazing oaks and a few steps from the open field at the same ranch where the cows and horses were enjoying the great space for running and fresh grass feeding. We brought our bikes with us which was a great idea for exploring the huge ranch. The kids enjoyed the horse rides and the bass fishing with the attentive and always patient Bob.The ranch doesnt have a restaurant itself, but in case one doesnt want to cook , they can organize a picnic to be eaten where you please ,either at the lake shore or at the convenience of your own cabin. One can enjoy a delicious lunch as well at the restaurant that Ms Carol owns one mile far away from the Ranch. We tried the Thanksgiving lunch buffet...was simply amazing, not only the quality of the food but also the waiters that were supernice to everybody in our family. By the way..I liked the quilts in the cabin...Carol ...where did you get them from? They are so detailed..they dont do now stuff like that at the decoration stores. I would recommend this trip to everybody. The Ramiro Family.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Carol D, Owner at BlissWood Bed and Breakfast Ranch, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to let me know how much you enjoyed your stay here. We were happy to share it with you. I have collected quilts for many years and you saw a part of my collection, many from the 1800's, early 1900s. I love to look at them and admire the handiwork from far back when times were slower, and it is my pleasure to share my collection with you and my other guests. Glad you enjoyed our Thanksgiving dinner also. Looking forward to having you return.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

The outdoor area is gorgeous. The lake water was a deep emerald, the trees were changing colors so there were bursts of reds and oranges, the air was peacefully quiet, the animals were tame, and there was plenty to look at and play with from humongous trees and branches, hay, and a friendly, clean cat.

The indoor area was spacious and clean. The decor matched the shower's Western theme

I was the bride-to-be so I do not know the specifics regarding $ but from what I heard, I would only give three stars personally, i.e. met my expectations as the pros and cons balanced each other out.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for taking time to post a review. I'm so happy that you enjoyed the Bridal Shower here at BlissWood. It gives me great joy to be able to share with great people like you who get the essense of this place. Thanks again.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This place is amazing. We stayed in the log cabin beneath a couple of beautiful live oaks, where except for the electricity, and in-door plumbing, was right out of the 1820'....pefect in every detail. Next morning we fished (in our own lake surrounded by oaks and spanish moss). The kids caught crappie and bass, one-after-another (kept me busy baiting hooks, but made me a super-hero). My wife and daughter literally took 100's of pictures of the cabin, unique animals, our activities and the incredibly beautiful Texas ranch setting.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for taking time to review BlissWood. You are so appreciated because I know it takes precious time to do this. I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay with your family and hope you have great memories for a long time, until your return here. Looking forward to that return.
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

WHAT AN AMAZING PLACE! Perfect for a western themed bridal shower with 10 gals. We did a day trip and got upgraded to the Dogwood Loft Suite for our activities. Adorable interior and plenty of space for scrapbooking and lunch. Had a photoshoot in the surrounding area by the showbarn and lake gazebo...pics turned out great! 5-star service...Carol and Skeeter were amazing hosts! The gals had a blast trapshooting and learning archery. Definitely recommended for group retreats :)

Room Tip: Dogwood Loft Suite adorable interior + close to show barn and lake gazebo!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for taking time to write a review. So happy you enjoyed the Bridal Shower and hope you can return to enjoy BlissWood again in the future.

Been to BlissWood Bed and Breakfast Ranch? Share your experiences!