“Best enchiladas anywhere!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Mexican
San Antonio
“Best enchiladas anywhere!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We used to go to Sammy's a lot but they've gotten pretty expensive so we don't go very often anymore.

But, they do have the best enchiladas anywhere (in our opinion). They aren't cheap but they are well worth the price.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Busy lunch crowd.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Definitely a locals spot. We ate during lunch and the place was packed. Ate the lunch special which was large enough portions. Waitress was friendly even though busy!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Ok meal, nice servers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Went there as we were driving through. Our server was very nice and responsive. She recommended the chicken fried steak. When it arrived, the mashed potatoes and gravy over the potatoes were cold. The chicken fried steak was good. Our server brought out another serving of potatoes, this time it was hot. My son ordered the cheese steak and requested medium well, it was well done, and seemed like it was a previously frozen patty from a box and the cheese was a slice of processed cheese straight out of the wrapper. My wife's chalupas were topped with processed cheese, probably velveeta. The salad bar was well stocked with a decent, but small variety of veggies. Overall, the food was ok.

Visited July 2013
Austin, Texas
“At least it was open”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

There are very few local restaurants open in Castroville on a Monday evening. Sammy's was one of three local restaurants open, so it had that going for it. I can't say I enjoyed the food. The decor is worn and dated and the seating uncomfortable. The waitress was very sweet and attentive. My burger had a funnny taste, like maybe not so fresh. The fries were ok. My tummy felt not so good afterwards. Luckily there was a Dairy Queen nearby to wash down nasty burger with blizzard. People there are very friendly and the service was good. Possible I just got a bad burger and other menu items were good. But not willing to try Sammy's again... at least not this trip.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Austin, Texas
“Slim pickins in Castroville”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I ate here because it was one of three non-chain restaurants open on a Monday night. It was also highly rated in Castroville.

Part of me liked the restaurant because it reminded me of home. The server was nice, the menu had items that reminded me of "home cooking", and the decor reminded me of my mom's house. The other part of me says the food wasn't all that great and was fairly greasy. And really, isn't that what you're looking for from restaurant reviews? Information about the food?

We had catfish and a burger, which weren't very tasty. The fries and onion rings were ok. The iced tea and bread were good, though I wish the bread was brought out before the meal. The salad bar was small. But, it was open and it was local, and the bill was small.

Visited July 2013