“Home cooking, sort of” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Mexican
San Antonio, Texas
“Home cooking, sort of”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Sammys has been changing but not aways for the better so don't hope for to much and you will be happy with what you get. I do eat there several times a month but service depends on what staff is on and the time of day.

Food is better than Lubys but is of the same sort.

Prebooking on the weekends is the way to go.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

San Antonio, TX
“Not worth it, don't be fooled.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

The food is okay, but way overpriced, and they nickel-and-dime you. Want cheese on your Mexican dish, oh, that costs extra. Waiting is SLOW, and they give you these tiny glasses (6-8 ounces?) which are quickly downed, and they you're waiting for a refill, and waiting.

The place is in a prime spot in the middle of Castroville at its main intersection. It advertises as the "family place to eat", but don't be fooled. I'd rather go to a chain restaurant than here.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Galveston Island, Texas
“Stop for supper”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

We stopped at Sammy's on our way home from Sabinal. I had the chalupas and my husband had chicken fried steak. The food was good and it's a nice clean and friendly spot. It feels like a mom and pop type establishment.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Giddings, Texas
“Not too bad and not too great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

The salad bar is not much, and you have to wait for them to give you a small plate. There is a 20 minute wait for chicken as they make it fresh. It was good. There lemon pie wasn't great as the crust was tough and the filling almost hard. The service was great. We went back for breakfast and it was good. I gave my eggs to my husband as my "over medium well" came out as "over easy" which my husband loves. I should have complained, but didn't. The decor of the restaurant is in bad shape and needs renovation.

Visited March 2012
“Mamas, don't let your babies work at Sammy's”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Awful about sums up this excuse for a restaurant. As they note on their crusty menus, the only thing they have going for them is that they have one of the few full service bars in the area. However, they forgot the service part. We ordered mixed drinks and it took 20 minutes in a half empty joint to get them. The food took even longer. When I asked to order the fried chicken, the person who took our order said distainfully, "You gonna wait 20 minutes for that?" So I ordered enchiladas, which weren't even edible. How can a South Texas restaurant screw up enchiladas?

Now to the title of the review...if there was someone over the age of 23 working in the restaurant, I'd be shocked. The people inhabiting the place (they certainly weren't waiting on people - it was the customer waiting on them!) took forever and then left us to search for our bill because no one ever brought the check to us. As we walked up to the cashier to get the check (full service?), one of the children ran toward the kitchen, yelling, "You want me to WORK?" Guess not.

Avoid at all costs. Find a Dairy Queen.

• Visited August 2011