“Nice Hotel in Castroville” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Alsace & Spa Resort
3.5 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   1651 US Hwy 90 W, Castroville, TX 78009   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Castroville
san antonio, tx
“Nice Hotel in Castroville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

I stayed here for a medium sized conference held in the Community Center of a local church. The hotel was picked by the organizers of the conference. The rates are less than that of San Antonio and the rooms are very nice. The included continental breakfast is delicious. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

98 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
boerne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

The best service , food and stay we had in the 4 days we were out .thanks for a great time will be back .

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
New Braunfels, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

The hotel staff was very nice and helpful. I enjoyed sitting outside the restaurant and talking to the other guest. If you want quiet and a relax admosphere this is the place. You need to plan your stay during one of their wonderful wine tastings the food was outstanding and the service was great.. We have been to two of their wine tastings.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

I can't even give this place one star due to the EXTREMELY poorly managed "resort". Check in was okay. The room did not appear dirty but there were spiders and insects in the bathroom and in the room. We were awoken to a person puking next to the french doors at 1:30am. Tried to call the front desk but no answer. When we went to the bathroom, there were more insects. Within 10 minutes after flushing the insects down the toilet, the toilet flooded the bathroom and the hallway. Again at 2a.m. we tried to call the front desk and again NO ANSWER. We loaded the floors with all towels we could find and made our way into the toilet and began toilet repairs as best we knew how. Of course, I still needed to use the restroom. Eventually, I realized the toilet parts in the tank needed replacement and stopped the flooding. At 3:30 am still no answer from the front desk. I went to sleep as best I could and check the bed for insects before I layed down. At 7:30a.m. BIG FOOT was staying in the room above so again I was awake. Telling our tale to the staff was useless as they were indifferent. The apathetic "manager" heard the story through the staff and never contacted us directly and decided to give us a partial refund. This information was communicated to us again through the front desk clerk as again the manager never spoke to us directly. If you want to be a manager, you will need to face problems head on and not hide under a rock. Our total bill for the night was over $130 and yes that did include her less that adequate "adjustment". I have pondered whether I should send her my bill for my on-call 24 hour plumbing services. If you need a place to stay, keep driving to San Antonio or pullover and sleep on the side of the road - chances are you will have less bugs and your ourdoor plumbing will be functioning.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

We stayed at Hotel Alsace one night while traveling from Houston to New Mexico. This is a roadside motel -- I wouldn't call it a resort. The rooms are minimalist gray and brown with tile floors (old furniture all painted gray). Our queen bed (they don't have king beds) was uncomfortable with scratchy sheets. We had a balcony with a very nice view, however all you could hear outside was the traffic on Hwy 90. Wireless internet is available but extremely slow. We did not venture out to the pool -- it appeared to be a standard motel pool. Restaurant was closed the night we stayed (although we had a fabulous dinner in town at the Old Alsatian Steakhouse). Continental breakfast was very limited. We paid $80 for the night -- which was probably about right -- but I would have chosen a different hotel had I known about all the downsides.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

This was our 4th stay (or more?) at this property and I have to say, each time is better and better. They treat us like royalty! I love this place! My husband & I say how "at home" we feel here. It is so comfortable, relaxing and fun. The beer & wine events are very fun and quite a value. The food in the restaurant is always top quality and the chef is eager to accommodate special requests. Staff are all very friendly and on top of things. Rooms are spacious, clean and contemporary. I like the fact they make good attempts at being "green" and recycling. We will, without a doubt, be back and recommend this to friends & family.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

I spent two too many nights at this "hotel" for my sister's wedding weekend. I will try to be fair by listing the pros and cons but I assure you, you do not want to stay at this hotel.

Pros: Modern room with tile floors (I prefer them over carpet)
Table with two chairs
Balcony with seating
Clean white waffle weave robes
Large closet (although with fixed hangers, a bit annoying)
Nice manager who dealt with the situation as best she could, but unfortunately could not remedy this motel masquerading as a hotel

Cons:
-Keys did not work after repeated attempts, the hotel staff blamed this issue on the weather! This was a problem for all guests at the hotel, the entire wedding party.
-Terrible bedding, cheap and hard, flimsy cover. no duvet just a thin worn out and frayed blanket, the thinnest pillows imaginable
-Awful mattress, bouncy
-The maid service was lacking
-Request for towels and extra pillows (they only provide two, none were stored in closet) were forgotten
-Continental Breakfast lacked hot water for tea, cookies were provided for breakfast! along with english muffins and bagels, and a small basket of fruit
-My sisters room on the bottom floor smelled of mold
-Squeaky plastic faucets (this may seem minor but I assure you after repeated use they are most annoying)
-There only printer was broken and we could not print our boarding pass
-HORRIBLE Restaurant
-Spotty free wifi
-Last but not least they changed the first printout with our rate to one with a higher rate upon checkout, which they did change but completely out of line

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Alsace & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!