“Great food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Seafood
Washington
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I had sandwich and very large portion. Friend had fish and said it was the best she had in our 2 weeks in Texas. Pie was excellent. Not fancy but it was ok. Lots of locals in and out.

Visited February 2013

The Woodlands, Texas
“Great Texas BBQ great sides friendly and”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I was traveling back from Shreveport and found this place online. The reviews were right. It's just about 2 miles off of 59 when you are on the road but wow. The atmosphere was down home the sausage and brisket I had we're awesome with sweet tea hot water cornbread and home made nanner puddin that was just like my momma made growing up. I'll definitely be going back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Antonio, Texas
“Worth a detour!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Sick of interstate highways, we found ourselves in Carthage, TX and, trusting tripadvisor members, we decided to eat at Daddy Sam's. WOW. This small very simple place where you get in line and order from the woman who is slicing brisket really delivers. We had come here for the catfish but, but smell of smoky meat caused us to order one meat meal and one catfish meal and share. The BBQ was good (the sauce was amazing) but the catfish was something special. Not greasy, not over salted, but as Goldilocks would say, "Just right". After you order, you can help yourself to cucumber and okra pickles and sweet onions (which are perfect with the BBQ). We would have loved to try some of the wonderful looking deserts, but you have to have some restraint. You get your drink and pay at the end of the line. Then find a table and wait until your wonderful food is brought to you. The place if filled with lucky locals who all seem to know each other and know a great inexpensive deal. The owner and one of the younger staff came to check on us during our meal and were also very patient with us while we tried to figure out what we wanted to order. By the way, beans and slaw are two very good sides - often items which are just afterthoughts in many restaurants. We LOVED this place are are glad we don't live in Carthage because we would gain a lot of weight. Note that this is family run and NOT open on Saturday or Sunday.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cumberland Center, Maine
“Smack Yer Mama Good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Absolutely the best barbecue I have ever put in my mouth!

So good that my wife shipped Daddy Sam's BBQ from TX to Maine (in a cooler, on dry ice) for a surprise anniversary present for me. That stunt earned her Wife Of The Year in my book!

Whenever we're in Texas, whether it's Houston or Dallas, we go out of out way to take a day trip to Carthage in East Texas just to eat at Daddy Sam's. Yes, it's that good.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“You Kill it, I'll Cook It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

This is on their business card! What they cook is delicious! Mouth watering ribs, flavorful beans with bits if BBQ, tasty dirty rice and to top it off, my drink of choice, Diet Dr. Pepper! Very friendly people working there. Local favorite. It has a dual business as Daddy Sam's Bail Bonds......In a Jam? Call Daddy Sam!!! Just might go back, to eat not to get out of jail!