“must see museum” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 13 Attractions in Canyon
Type: History Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Dubbed the largest history museum in Texas, visitors are wowed by the more than three million artifacts pertaining to the vivid past of the Panhandle region. Exhibits explore subjects such as Western heritage, paleontology and fine arts.
Claude
“must see museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

if you like history at all do not miss the Panhandle Plains Museum.
a great representation of the history of the Texas Panhandle.
some exhibits change frequently so many reasons to go back over and over

Dallas
“Well done museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

It was just a well done museum. It give a good perspective on life in the area and presents it in an interesting way. Not necessarily a lot of "WOW! I can't believe I got to see that" kind of musuem but one where they present stuff you have seen before but in a way that is interesting and informative. For example, they have a windmill collection that explain how they work, why they were important, the day in the life of a windmill repair person, the evolution of them.

My kids particularly enjoyed Pioneer Town which is an indoor mini town. With hotel, houses, stores, etc. Again you've seen it before but it is better done here with more buildings, and a done well.

I like going to museums and purely from an enjoyment perspective this was one of the most enjoyable museums I've been too. Kids loved it too.

Midland, Texas
34 attraction reviews
“Totally amazed by this museum.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I was at first put off by the $10 entry fee but decided to pay my money and go in. What a surprise. This is really an amazing museum. There is something for about everyone. I'm a history buff and my historical itch was totally satisfied. They have an amazing gun collection for a small museum. The displays are very well done and annotated. If you want to LEARN, this is a great museum. They commentary on every piece seems to be well researched and well written. One of the few museums where I found myself reading as much as looking. I have been in a ton of museums from small towns to the Smithsonian and this place was just at the top of my list (I am a Texan, may not be as interesting to someone from Pittsburgh). It is definitely worth the run from the freeway to Canyon if driving by. It could take all day to do it right though. Closed Sunday and Monday. Closes at 5pm off season and open a little later during summer.

Far, Texas
6 attraction reviews
“Not your run-of-the-mill small town museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

The size and scope of this facility is unbelievable. The range of exhibits is hard to take in. All the way from dinosaur bones, Indian artifacts, ladies fashion, luggage trends, automotive, and the oil industry to name a few. This is not like most museums that have some old antiques, silly mannequins, and an old wagon stuck in the corner. Don't get me wrong, I like museums of all stripes, but they are not bragging when they say PPHM is the Smithsonian of our region.

It is very well displayed, professionally set up, and captivating. The incredibly huge collection of Native American artifacts, and firearm collection is unmatched in any museum I have ever been to.

Not only do they have impressive number of items, the historical significance of many of them is truly interesting. Famous artists, famous historical figures, famous ranchers and businessmen, are all represented in various displays.

My only complaint is after 6 hours of looking, you get tired and start rushing through! I would recommend possibly splitting up a visit between two days, even if it means paying admission twice.

It is probably not the best facility for children under the age of probably 10 as they would not appreciate most of the displays. I went a few times as a child, and I did not really realize the scope and value of it like I do now.

Visited February 2014
Pueblo Colorado
13 attraction reviews
“Allow lots of time, there is so much to see”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We had planned on a short hike at Palo Dura Canyon, but the weather did not cooperate so we decided to check out this museum instead. What a lucky find! This is a marvelous museum with sooo much to see and learn about. Everything is well designed and the information presented in such an engaging was. Don't miss this place!

Visited January 2014