“Great Place for Palo Duro Adventurers” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Canyon
Cypress, Texas
“Great Place for Palo Duro Adventurers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

This is my 2nd stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Canyon, TX. It's a great spot for those who are planning time at Palo Duro Canyon. The rooms are clean and large. We had a small refrigerator and microwave in a kitchenette area. The hotel was quite quiet both stays. Breakfast is the usual US-chain continental fare - not stellar but adequate. The woman over-seeing the breakfast area this stay was very pleasant and helpful. Free wi-fi was nice.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

84 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Dallas(ish)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

I can't really complain about this place, except that the prices seem pretty high to me. But considering that's what all of the chains in Canyon charge, I suppose they are competitive. The room was very clean and it was obviously new. We were only staying there for its proximity to Palo Duro Canyon and, for this purpose, it was great. The front desk staff was very professional. What impressed me the most is this -- I had a reservation to stay there one night on our return trip, but we ended up having to stop several hours before we reached Amarillo and I did not cancel my reservation. I had secured it w/ a cc and I was sure I was just going to have to eat the no-show charge. But they didn't charge me for it! So, for that reason, they get a higher rating from me. Perfectly adequate lodging in Canyon.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Midland, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

Since I have a child who is active in the music dept at West Texas A&M,
I make about 4-6 trips to Canyon
every year and always stay at HI Express. Many of the staff members have
been there awhile and they are truly keen in making your stay a good one.
Small town hospitality. Good parking, well lit. Indoor pool.
Rooms are nice...some with a fridge and microwave.
Rooms are clean and well appointed and I have never been disappointed.
Dependable breakfast and they are there to assist.
I will stay there again and again!
(Although sometimes it is booked during summers as tour groups
come to see the musical Texas at Palo Duro Canyon)

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

I have driven across the panhandle from South Texas to northern states like CO and UT for 7 years now. I have stayed at numerous places in the panhandle to find a few hours sleep before hitting the road again. I've tried places in Lubbock, Abilene, Childress and Dallas, but came across this hotel in Canyon literally by accident. For 7 years in our random visits, we have stayed there 4 times and each time it's been clean, quiet, very friendly, and I feel safe there (something I can't say about our experiences in Lubbock). It's a great place to crash on a road trip. The first time I stayed there I paid about $80, this most recent visit we paid $109 (getting a bit high for the quality in my book). As long as they don't go up anymore, we will be back.

Two of our stays in the hotel were with our two large dogs and the staff was very helpful ($25 pet fee for having the dogs, but this isn't bad for 2 big dogs). If more hotels had the same pet policy, then we would likely have more for comparison, but this is by far the cleanest, friendliest, and cheapest hotel we can find that allows multiple large dogs. NOTE to dog owners: ALWAYS clean up after your pet, never leave them unattended in the room, or let them bark out of control; this ensures the hotel won't ban pets from the hotel and allow responsible travellers to continue using a nice facility. Please don't ruin it for the rest of us.

• Liked — Pet Friendly AND CLEAN (not something that always goes together)
  • Disliked — Bed was a bit hard for the higher price we paid
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
lomadecristo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2008

We stay at a lot of Holiday Inn Express properties... This one is well below average... I guess because this is a college town they can get away with it... There are a lot of internal noises (door slams from two floors down) (clearly hear the clock radio playing in the next room) compared to the newer and more silent Holiday Inn Express locations... The carpets are worn, the rooms are smaller and less well appointed, and general ambiance is below average for a Holiday Inn Express hotel... Too bad... The staff was good.... Bottom line is that this hotel should be considered ready for a major refurbishment/ upgrade...

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed November 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

The bed was very uncomfortable. Desk help was unprofessional.

• Liked — jacuzzi in the room we stayed in was a plus.
  • Disliked — Mattress on bed was bad.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Arlington, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

Our family stayed at the HI Express in Canyon on our way back from Albuquerque, NM going to see the "Texas" show in Palo Duro Canyon, which is a great thing to see. We had booked a double bed, non-smoking room on the hotel website for about $97.00 (taxes included). We checked into the hotel and had to leave quickly to see the show. The hotel is only about 25 minutes from Palo Duro Canyon. When we got back, the room was very nice. There was a coffee pot with coffee, tea and a hot chocolate mix setting by it. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean and comfy. The bathroom was nice and clean, too. The next morning we went to breakfast, and were very pleased with the array of selection that they had. They had coffee, milk, cereal, cinnamon rolls, hot sausage patties and even warm biscuits and gravy. I noticed when we were checking in the day before, that they have warm cookies at 2:00p.m. and a snack at 5:00p.m. I would definitely stay at the HI Express in Canyon again!

• Liked — The cleanliness and location of the hotel.
  • Disliked — The clock wasn't set in our room when we got there.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Canyon? Share your experiences!