“Very Bad!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Canton Motel

Canton Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Canton
Canton Motel
You added Canton Motel to your Saves list
451 W Highway 243, Canton, TX 75103   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Canton
Magee, Mississippi
“Very Bad!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2014

We attempted to stay here during Trade Days Oct 30th thru Nov 2nd 2014. Had we looked at the room first we would have never checked in. The room was very sparsely furnished, one bed, 2 tiny night stands, no lamps, and one straight back chair we used as our security feature on the door since there was no night chain. The shower was moldy and the commode seat was very worn. After the first night the temperatures dropped to the 30's...no heat. We were offered electric space heaters and a blanket. Never would I have gone to sleep with an electric heater plugged into a power strip that had a refrigerator and a microwave plugged into it and the other plug in had the tv and a floor lamp plugged-in. When I went to the office to tell the clerk we were checking out and wanted our last day refunded $123.17, (Highway Robbery), she said there were no refunds on Trade Days. Surely there is someone who inspects these motels for safety and cleanliness. I have reported this to my bank that services my Credit Card as false advertising and misrepresentation. Never again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I was originally suppose to stay in The Rose Bed and Breakfast owned by the same couple that has the Canton Motel. But upon arrival I discovered
that there is no one on duty at the B&B and I didn't feel safe staying there by myself. The manager was kind enough to offer me a room at the hotel, where they lived and were on-site, as one customer was a no-show.

The room was very basic and small. The only security on the door was a lock on the knob and a chain. Not very secure, for the area. Several people live in this hotel full time. I don't know what Non-show rates are but they can't possibly be more than $40 per night, which is too much. My after tax cost was $67.80 per night (highway robbery).

The first morning my room flooded due to the driving rainstorm. At 6:30 am I was awakened by the valiant efforts of the staff trying to avert the flooding parking lot from coming in rooms and cars. They managed to contain the water in all but my bathroom. I Ruined a pair of shoes wadding out to car trying to save my belongings from impending waters. A very tenuous situation to wake up to.

Towels are small and like sand paper. I had to deal with cockroaches, small black bugs, flies and mosquitoes too.

I am not above staying in a low budget motel. In fact I am seeking out clean, safe, inexpensive places to stay on business trips. The operative word here is "inexpensive ". I am a 60 year old woman and all of those requirements are imperative as I travel mostly alone.

The hotel room was, for the most part clean. The outside looks transient. VERY dated with very small rooms. I was surprised and disappointed that I was not offered some sort of refund or compensation for the flooding incident.

I would recommend this hotel at $35-40 per night, but not to women traveling alone.

Stayed July 2014
Matt R, Manager at Canton Motel, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
My wife and I would like to sincerely apologize for any miscommunications we had regarding your stay at The Rose Bed & Breakfast or at The Canton Motel. There is no excuse for what is viewed as poor service but I would like to at least offer an explanation for you and any other traveler that might read this review.

-We should have made sure you knew there was no "on duty" staff at The Rose Bed & Breakfast. My wife and I manage both properties but live on site here at The Canton Motel. The Rose B&B is located in a beautiful old Canton neighborhood close to Trade Days and there has never been a security issue of any kind there. We will make sure to add the fact that there is no 24 hour staff at the Rose to all of our confirmation emails from here on out.

We will also begin offering better security options for women traveling alone or anyone that requests them. I did not know you were having a security issue with the room and would have handled it at the time if I had.

Thank you for that great feedback.

-Since you were here over the World Famous Trade Days weekend we were limited on our choices for rooms here at the Canton Motel when The Rose B&B was not suitable for you. The room you stayed in was the last one available for that weekend and that was only because we had a cancellation. Normally during trade days our rates are higher than other weekends. The $67.80 per night was a very large discount over the normal rates for that weekend and included a home-made breakfast.

Off trade days our rates are $49.00 per night + tax for a single room. Long term guests get a discount for paying in advance.

-While you were here we had a very heavy rain storm. Our property is older and does suffer from a bit of flooding in the parking lot and in extreme cases in comes into a couple of the bathrooms. I am very sorry that happened over your visit.

Our entire staff (including volunteers) was available from the very moment it began raining to do every thing we could to prevent inconvenience for our guests. Both my wife and myself were on hand and I asked if there was anything I could do to help, you declined. I had no idea you ruined a pair of shoes and would have offered a discount had I known.

You did not mention any problems with bugs the morning you checked out. We chatted for a bit and said our goodbyes. I would have loved a chance to make your experience better but I didn't know you had ran into this much trouble. I have scheduled an exterminator for the entire property and will have our housekeeper keep an even closer eye out for any bugs in the rooms.

We will use this review to do our best at creating a better customer service experience for our guests and really appreciate you letting us know your stay was not up to standard.

Matt Rayne
Manager
Republic, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We came to the Trade Days and stayed at this charming motel. The new owners are renovating, making this place a very comfy place to stay. The room did not have carpet, so you can see how clean it is. The owners make a great homemade breakfast Thursday thru Sunday! Great place to stay... we will be back!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Matt R, Manager at Canton Motel, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thank you for this wonderful review. We truly enjoyed having you stay at the motel. Dora and I have worked very hard over the last year to provide a clean and comfortable place for guests during First Monday and every other day of the month. It is so nice to hear that it shows.

We are looking forward to seeing you and your family next month!

Matt
Grand Junction, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I came to Canton to visit family and attend Trade Days. My first impression of this motel was that it was in a great location! Right off of the highway it was easy to find! Upon my arrival it was my pleasure to meet the managers Matt and Dora. I was checked in by Dora and assured that there would be breakfast in the morning and to make sure I stop by. I was shown to my room by Matt who made sure that I was comfortable and that I had everything I needed. The room was recently updated and immaculately clean. It included a microwave, coffee maker, and small refrigerator. The small space heater worked perfectly and I had a very cozy night. The next morning I made sure to stop by for the breakfast and it was delicious! Without a doubt one of the best motel breakfasts I have ever had and homemade too! I could tell that the managers put a lot of effort into making sure their guests got a good start to their day. The next couple of days that I stayed were equally as wonderful and I will most definitely be staying again. By far the best thing about the Canton Motel are the managers, thank you for being so accommodating!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Golden, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

Found Canton Motel on trip advisor on our way through Texas. Called from the road as we were about 1 hour out of Canton. The manager, Matt, answered, said he had a room and it would be ready. Upon arrival, Matt said he had turned on the light and heater for us. He was very welcoming! The room was clean and recently remodeled. Nothing fancy, but clean and comfortable is what we look for! Microwave, mini fridge and coffee maker in the room. They are pet friendly. Reasonable rates. I will definitely keep their number as we travel through Canton once or twice a year! We would stay here again without question and I would recommend it to friends!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Canton, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

The rooms are now clean and comfy.The new managers have really did an awesome job making the motel a friendly clean environment.Pet friendly with a reasonable fee.The motel is close to places to dine and a nearby walmart.Great place to stay to be nearby first monday events..

Room Tip: close to first monday trade days and nearby places to dine and stores.Even thou in town gives u a co...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stayed over at the Rose, for a couple of nights during trade days. Our room was completely adequate. It was clean, and a welcome refuge from the Trades Days bustle. Our hostess, Dora, who was also one of the managers was welcoming, friendly and had a great breakfast for us. It was hearty, with quiche, cereal, juices and fruit. This is an old property that has lots of character and stories to tell. If you are not into the quaint, and slightly off the beaten path kind of places this is not for you, But if you are open minded and willing to accept this "grandma" kind of place it will welcome you back with open arms and a hug, after a long day shopping. Thanks, Rose and Canton Motel staff! See you next year :)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Canton Motel? Share your experiences!