“Clean and Close to First Monday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Canton Motel

Canton Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Canton
Canton Motel
451 W Highway 243, Canton, TX 75103   |
Ranked #3 of 6 hotels in Canton
Temple, Texas
“Clean and Close to First Monday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed at the Canton Motel on 5/31/13 and 6/1/13 to attend the Canton First Monday Trade Days. The managers were eager to please. I checked in and came back to the office to request more towels and an extra pillow. They were given to me with smile. The motel is located about 3/4 mile from the Trade Days so it was convenient and I was able to park my car directly in front of my room. I wasn't in the room alot because I was at the Trade Days most of the time but found the motel room to be clean and the air conditioner cold. The beds were comfortable and I slept as well as I do in my own bed at home. I did not experience any problems at all with cleanliness. I would definitely stay here again and will recommend the motel to my friends. Oh, and the cost was about 1/2 what the cost was for the chain hotels out on Interstate 20.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

13 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Canton, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I recently stayed at the Canton Motel while having an interview to take over management of the motel and The Rose Bed & Breakfast. My wife and I are excited at the chance to live on site and be part of making these two properties a success in Canton.

Both the Canton Motel and The Rose are beautiful properties that are centrally located in Canton for easy access to our World Famous Trade Days. Both locations have deep ties to the history of Canton and offer a wonderful opportunity for an affordable stay that offers exceptional customer service.

The years behind the Canton Motel and The Rose Bed & Breakfast have been filled with success and community spirit. My wife and I plan to do everything we can towards restoring faith in our guests so we can get their business in the future. We appreciate all the constructive feedback we have received so far and welcome any suggestions.

Thanks from the Canton Motel and The Rose Bed & Breakfast!

Matt and Dora Rayne

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Bossier City, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My friend and I met here for our trip to the Canton trade days back in October of 2012 (yes, I know it's been a few months but I am just now getting around to writing this review). We stayed one night and honestly thought about getting up and leaving in the middle of the night because it was so horrible! We had prepaid for 3 nights and they wouldn't refund our money but we didn't care. We packed all of our things first thing the next morning and found another place to stay for the next couple of nights. Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep. There were weeds growing up through the windows inside the room, a spider crawled out from under our pillows, there was a crack so big in between the door and frame that we had to stuff it with clothes to keep bugs and snakes out (yes, the crack was plenty big enough for a snake to have gotten through!). The door was so flimsy a child could have kicked it in. Needless to say we did not feel safe at all. There was mold in the mini-fridge and not just a tiny little bit either--lots of nasty, black mold and it smelled up the entire room from just opening it long enough to slam it shut again. We had to open the flimsy door and spray perfume just to get rid of the smell. There was a big hole in the floor that was covered by the carpet but when I stepped in it I nearly twisted my ankle (ok, maybe I'm exaggerating on that one a tiny bit but it was pretty bad). There was also a hole in the floor under the toilet and when we sat on it we sort of held on to the shower to keep from falling through. We didn't even attempt to take a shower because it was so nasty so I can't tell you about the water pressure or anything like that. The AC was a window unit. We stayed in what they called "The Cottage" at the Bed and Breakfast because they didn't have any rooms left at the motel itself. This was supposedly and upgrade so I would've hated to have seen the hotel room!! From the outside it didn't look good at all. First clue should've been when I pulled in and the parking lot was gravel. Also, I'll tell you that they use the term bed and breakfast very loosely!! For breakfast (which we did not eat) they had a bag of bagles and some butter (in the 'fridge). I will say that the manager (who was pretty new at the time) was aware that the place was in need of an overhaul and she tried to refund my money but the owner wouldn't let her. She and her husband were both nice people but I would NEVER stay there again! Avoid this place like the plague!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
henley-on-thames
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

To be fair the new owners did say that they knew they had a lot of issues with getting this place back to scratch. We initially booked some months ago, and when we arrived we booked in and booked straight out again.Our proposed room had more wild life in it than Yellowstone. It was filthy and I wouldn't wash a dog in the bath. The door had a poor latch to it and the area around the air conditioning was open.

I think the people who have taken this over should shut it down and get the place cleaned and ready for business and I honsestly wish them the best of luck in their adventure as they have definitely been left in the lurch by the previous occupants.

Room Tip: Give this place time and hopefully it will improve but for the time being do not touch it with a bar...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Henley-on-Thames
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I feel sorry for the people who have just taken this place over and who are trying to make it better, they have a tough job on their hands.

I booked the room by phone some months ago, and the manageress Judy quoted me a rate of $45 for the night including breakfast. When we arrived, Judy had been moved on to another hotel, and the new manageress had no record of our reservation. Plus the rate had gone up to $65 and no longer included breakfast. We decided to go with it anyway, but I wish I'd asked to see the room before we paid. The lady did say they were renovating the rooms, unfortunately there's an awful lot of work to do. The room was shabby, depressing and smelled musty. There was no chain on the door, and the lock didn't look secure. It looked like there was a big gap in the window frame where the AC unit didn't fit properly, and I wouldn't have wanted to get in the bathtub. The final straw came when we saw four very large bugs scuttling around the room. We rang another hotel and loaded our cases straight back into the car - we would rather lose the money we'd paid than spend the night in that room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Temple, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Just returned from a trip to First Monday Trade Days. Had a rate for 2 nights of $92.45 per night. It was the least expensive motel in town and only 1/2 mile to the trade days. Served a nice continental breakfast. Was 1/2 block to two good restaurants. Very Clean. Would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the office.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Canton, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

Stayed at the Canton Motel in an extended stay room for 11 months. the staff were friendly and attentive. On the rare occasion that there was an issue, it was quickly resolved. The prices are fair, and it's very close to nearly everything.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to Canton Motel? Share your experiences!