“Would love to return” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Fearby B&B and Inns
Saltburn-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
“Would love to return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012 via mobile

Lovely light large room with big bed to relax in, perfect romantic break also ate in restaurant and had breakfast - food was amazing and would make the return trip for the food alone, the wonderful bedroom and staff made the whole weekend a trip to remember

• Stayed February 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

We bought a groupon offer of £99 for 3 night stay for two including breakfast!
Our stay at the black swan was the best experience we have had in a hotel in the uk! The standard of the black swan is now our comparison to any hotel we stay in in the future!
All the staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are extreamly clean, simple yet stylish and the views are amazing!
The under floor heating in the bedrooms are cleaver! Better than looking at a dusty radiator! We were lucky to have nice weather for the time of year feb/march. We had the window open all day and night and the heating on the lowest setting possible and the room was still at a very comfortable level.
The pub food was fresh and locally sorced! Iv never had an egg so bright yellow before! The menu had a variety of options and reasonably priced!
I would highly recommend staying at and eating at the black swan.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

We booked our night away through Groupon and were offered a standard room which was the only one available for our dates. We were very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the accomodation. The room was of a standard size ( I gather the other rooms were very spacious) but we were more than happy with our room. It was beautifully furnished with underfloor heating, a flat screen TV and luxury toiletries in the bathroom. The food in the pub was superb and the staff couldn't do enough for us. We would certainly go back and would highly recommend the pub for meals. There was a very good wine list and excellent choice on the menu. The lamb was cooked to perfection and the mint and red currant sauce was fantastic! The caravan site behind the pub was very small and select and in no way detracted from our enjoyment of our night away. My only complaint is that we only booked for one night and not two or more.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

We booked an overnight stay here as a party of six. We try our best to do this as often as we can ( work permitting) We arrived a little early (2 hours) but were allowed in to the bar to check in. I had not printed off my reservation but the owner was really kind and friendly and allowed me to 'pop' behind the bar and together we managed to access my e-mails and find the reservation which was hanging about in my very full in-box! I was made to feel very comfortable and he was not at all put out that it seemed to take me forever. Although we had arrived so early, we were encouraged to sit in the bar whilst the last of the 3 rooms were cleaned. The atmosphere was friendly and very laid back. We were all impressed with the place. I always feel slightly responsible, in that I, tend to find the deals and book them and tell the other two couples "Right this is where we're off." It's kind of a like it or lump it, cos i've made the effort to book it, but I must admit, i heaved a sigh of relief when we walked in as the place had a good feel. The pub is a little out of the way, but we already knew that. Our intention was to have some time together as friends to relax and enjoy each other's company and hopefully some good food and wine. We weren't disappointed. Our rooms were all we expected and more. We trooped in as soon as the cleaners had left and deposited our bags. We had a lovely pot of tea from the very thoughtfully placed teapot, then back to the pub to book our table for six for 8 o'clock. We had a drive into Masham and visited the White Bear pub, which had a lovely blazing log fire. We had a good wander round the local area and returned about six to enjoy our lovely rooms before meeting at 8pm for a pre-dinner drink. The food was absolute heaven. Every single one of us enjoyed every morsel and the chef popped out of the kitchen to ask if everything was to our taste. We returned to the bar after the meal, hugely satisfied and sat on the comfy seats. All the candles were lit on the tables and we were all very much at home. We met for breakfast after the best sleep either of us have had in ages. The beds are to die for!We sadly handed our keys in after our luscious breakfast.( It was all locally produced and just perfect)We headed off home, stopping at all the little villages on our way back, to stretch out our short break before we returned to normality. I cannot find one fault with the Black Swan. It was the best deal I have found in a long time and the food was well worth every penny. We'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: Number four is on the end which means you have two windows and lovely views. ;=)
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

We also got the deal from Groupon which was a bargain. On arriving at the hotel, the woman behind the bar was on the phone and didnt even acknowledge us for a few minutes until she hung up (although we were stood right infront of her). She was a bit frosty with us and barely spoke a word just showed us to our room and left. before checking in, we had been out in Masham which was beautiful and when we go back to visit again we will stay in te centre of Masham as the Black swan is over 2 miles outside of the city centre (and not walkable at night as its pitch black and very windy country lanes). We had dinner and drinks in the Black Swan that evening. The food was ok, nothing special and perhaps a little overpriced however, i was impressed that they had water buffalo and kangeroo on the specials menu!

The pub itself was very quiet, feeling that you had to whisper the whole evening. I think they could spruce it up a bit and perhaps replace the battered old chairs with some confy sofas or something.

The only problem i would say is that the room was absolutley boiling hot all night which was very uncomfortable and there was no door between the bathroom and the bedroom which was a little strange.

Other than that the hotel was ok - not amazing as some reviews have put it and certainly not worth the hundred and something for a night stay - but ok as a groupon voucher! We had a "luxury" room and i dont know what their idea of luxury was, but it wasnt. Also, the view we had was of next doors garden which was a shame.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view and find out how to either turn heating down or open windows (we could do...
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

My husband and I booked a 2 night stay here through Groupon, The deal was a good price. When trying to book a weekend break here we were informed that the weekends were fully booked until the end of April (coincidentally when the deal expired) unless we had a double room, instead of the superior room we had paid for via Groupon. We therefore booked a Wednesday and Thursday night. Overall the place and hotel were nice, but the staff were rude and lacking in customer service and had no social skills. Our property was damaged by the cleaners, the staff only talked to locals in the bar and ignored guests and the staff made rude comments to guests.

The journey there was horrendous, we were only travelling 60 miles from West Yorkshire but the A1 was closed, then Masham Bridge was closed so we had to take a detour. We arrived just after the Black Swan had finished serving food, so the woman at the bar / person who ran it offered to make us something which was very kind and good of her.

The room and the hotel grounds were lovely, very high standard room with lovely views of the Dales. The hotel is in Fearby, not Masham and there is literally nothing around there. There is very little to do in Masham except the Black Sheep Brewery.

The next day we had breakfast which was nice, and went for a long walk through the Dales and then into Masham for the brewery tour.

When arriving back at the hotel in the evening we went for a drink at the bar. We were told that my husband's aftershave had been smashed by the cleaners! She said they would pay for it, but we weren't given an apology. Apparently it was knocked off when the door was opened, but how this happened we have no idea as it was nowhere near the door. This was a present from me to my husband, and it is quite a rare bottle of aftershave, so I was obviously upset by the fact it had been smashed, but more shocked and appalled that we were offered no apology. We decided not to kick up a fuss as they had offered to pay for another bottle.

The next day when checking out we went to settle our bar bill. We mentioned about the aftershave and he asked how much it was. I stated about £30 / £35. He then commented very rudely "really, we thought it was less" implying that we were trying to rip them off!! I was so shocked, and explained that although it was a small bottle it is in fact quite rare and in any event it did cost that whatever he may think. Again no apology was offered and he just said rudely "fine then we will just call it even for the bar bill" (which was £30.00). This seemed so unprofessional and extremely rude and it basically ruined our break. We heard the same person make a rude comment to another young couple at breakfast, which was very surprising given that he ran the place.

You can have the nicest hotel and food in the world but if the service is bad then it ruins the experience. We have stayed in hotels which have not had grounds and rooms as nice as this in the Dales and the service of the staff there have been super. If something goes wrong, which it does from time to time, then it is how you respond to it that makes all the difference!

Overall, nice place, not a lot to do around there, rude and unprofessional staff. Won't be going back. Avoid this hotel at all costs unless you enjoy appalling customer service.

Leeds - so good they named it thrice.... Leeds, Leeds, Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

I, as many others on here, took advantage of the Groupon offer, or should I say my girlfriend did, so that we could purposefully take a look around the Black Sheep Brewery.

The fact is we got it on the cheap compared to what would normally be quite high prices considering the accessibility. There are loads of B&B's in the center of Masham and we found the customers and staff in the Bay Horse to be more welcoming and lively than the crowd we found in the Black Swan.

Our arrival was greeted frostily and I am unsure if this was because we were there on the cheap or not. I have encountered different attitudes from companies and businesses that use Groupon to promote their wares. They probably thought we were frosty as well by the way we went to the bar, got our key, went to our room and then went out until 1am, got up for breakfast, left the room for the cleaners to sort and never said "goodbye" but hey-ho.

The rooms are pretty big with rather sizable beds, I have a picture that I'd like to put up demonstrating the size of bed in comparison to my girlfriend but that has been vetoed by the boss. It was extremely cold when we were there but the rooms were warm and cozy... or was that all the beer? I don't care, value for money definitely but maybe not at the regular price. The rates in the town center are not much different if a little cheaper and you're bound to get caught up in the lively atmosphere that I find makes most Yorkshire towns and villages so welcoming.

Get yourself there on market day, go to the breweries and get a few pints of Riggwelter down you and you'll have a brilliant time. We went into the pub just outside the Black Sheep Brewery for a couple of pre-teatime drinks and there was the remnants of a hunt party in and the buzz about the place was brilliant.

Yes there were great views from the Black Swan but you're in Yorkshire and views are a plenty wherever you are. Get your boots on and get out walking.

The breakfast was good all locally produced, which is something that us city folk lap up when we're out in the sticks. I can't remember what it was that it didn't include though... I think it was beans and maybe black pudding.

Someone wrote on here about Eggs Benedict being good but that sounds a bit poncy to me, have a fry up.

My view is, only go here if you get a good offer, I don't think you will see value for money otherwise. If you want to go to Masham... stay in Masham it's easier late at night and far more lively.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Black Swan? Share your experiences!