“Not really a "resort".” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Burnet
Katy, Texas
“Not really a "resort".”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for his birthday for 3 days. We had cabin D-4. It was clean, but could have been cleaner for my liking. The staff was awesome and the restaurant on site was great. The time was relaxing. But I would not go here if you are expecting a resort quality experience. It's more for the nature lovers and not for ones that want to get pampered. Overall, a very nice place to get away.

Room Tip: We stayed in D-4 and liked that it was so quiet.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Austin, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

The dining room messed up not one but two of our credit cards (long story). Trying to get the problem fixed has been a NIGHTMARE. We’ve called & emailed the GM countless times, and he is uninterested in our complaint and unwilling to help. Horrible customer service.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

I stayed here for a wedding. Not knowing what to expect at the time of booking I was very pleasantly surprised. The cabins are rustic but comfortable, many with great views of the lake.

It was nice to hike the trails and see wildlife, armadillos, rabbits and the like. We also made a trip up to the observatory. The telescopes were quite impressive, and I was lucky enough to get great views of the moon & Saturn.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Bismarck, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

We stayed at the Canyon of the Eagles for a wedding. Besides the beautiful location, the thing I remember most about the resort was the service. Every staff member I communicated with was SO friendly and very helpful. We were traveling with our 18 month old son and they were also so helpful with my requests (asked for milk, cleaned his bottle, and play pen for the room).

During our time at the resort we woke up each morning and had a delicious healthy continental breakfast at the restaurant. Which may I add include "great" coffee. I'm a coffee snob and was pleasantly surprised to enjoy a quality cup of coffee each morning. Our rooms also had a coffee maker, microwave, and fridge.

We spent our spare time enjoying a boat ride to the waterfalls on the lake/river. While at the waterfalls, we kayaked through and around them. We also traveled to a nearby winery and tasted some excellent wines. Which kind of surprised me, since I had never tasted Texas wine before.

The wedding we were attending had the rehearsal diner and wedding reception at the resort. The food at each event was amazing. So fresh and full of flavor. We had buffalo, salmon, and lamb at the wedding along with homemade sauces to accompany each meat.

I can't wait to go back and visit again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

After reading some of the more negative reviews on Trip Advisor, we were pleasantly surprised. The rooms and the Lodge are exactly as described on the website- not exactly a resort, more like a summer camp for families. Planned activities like movies under the stars, access to the observatory, and a snake handler talking for about an hour made the weekend a good experience. That said, given the price of the rooms, we were disappointed with the dirty towels and dirty pool.

Definitely a pet-friendly, family experience- don't go for a romantic get-away.

We'd recommend it to friends, but with reservations.

Room Tip: Ask for building L.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Murphy, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

We arrived around 9pm on a Friday night. First of all you must know how remote this resort is, it's at the end of a 13(?) mile road with no convinces along the way ie. Gas station, restaurants. You must drive into Burnet for that. Anyways back to arrival after driving what seemed like forever down this road we finally find the resort. The gentleman at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. My husband and I chuckled at the form they make you sign saying you are aware of all of the wildlife, snakes, and spiders you are more than likely to encounter during your stay. Keeping that in mind we headed out to find our cottage which was interesting because you can not park in front of it. We parked in the parking lot then made our way down the dirt trail in the dark (they observe "lights out" in the evenings, meaning no outdoor lighting as not to bother the wildlife) and eventuality found our cottage. It was very clean, very minimally decorated, no tv, no phone, all which were fine we knew that before we arrived. The next morning we were able to enjoy a view of the lake from our porch. We then headed to eat breakfast at the resorts restaurant. It was a buffet. Not impressed with the quality of the food at all. Especially for 10.00 a person. I would compare it to something you would get free at a 2 star hotel. During breakfast we experienced our first encounter with wildlife. The restaurant has floor to ceiling windows, as we are sitting there I see a snake and squirrel fall off the side of the building outside. I jump up and walk to the window to check things out, the squirrel manages to hobble off but the snake sees me and stares me down! Thank goodness there was a window separating us!! As far as I was concerned that was all of the wildlife I could handle for the rest of the trip but my husband thought it was awesome! After breakfast we headed into Marble Falls to explore. We headed back to the resort later that afternoon to take a nap before our sunset cruise on Lake Buchanan. The cruise was very nice. The boat was nothing spectacular but the views were! Nature just like I like it, from a safe distance away!lol We saw countless birds, and a few deer and turkey. The next morning we decided to head down the butterfly hiking trail back at the resort. We were on the trail for a while when we crossed a snake skin on the trail again at that point I was done, which was disappointing to my husband because he loves the outdoors. We had breakfast at the resort one last time (only because that was our only choice) before getting ready and heading out. Overall it was a delightful getaway with my husband but would only recommend this place for TRUE nature lovers which obviously I am not.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
dressagemolly, Manager at Canyon of the Eagles Resort, responded to this review, March 28, 2011
We sincerely appreciate your insight as we strive to make our guests at home in the Hill Country. We are a nature resort, and the perfect destination for outdoor enthusiasts like your husband, but we also hope to provide a nature-based experience to fit any visitor’s comfort level.
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

I thought the location was nice, but the grounds could have been better tended. On the phone, the staff was very polite but complete opposite in person. It rained most of our stay, which was really fine, but the "rec" room in the FAQ's was a small couch and TV and restrooms. The did have checkers, outside. The food was below par. I ordered a chicken salad, and the chicken was very undercooked and when brought to the attention of the wait staff, she asked what I wanted her to do about it. For desert, chocolate lava cake, with still frozen lava. Breakfast was fair if you want eggs floating in water and to pay as much for it as dinner. The rooms were clean, except the floor, dirt no matter where you go. I have stayed in tents with cleaner floors. Not quite an "okay" place, and for sure nothing to wow about in a good way. Will not return.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
I’m very sorry to hear about your recent experience. However, we do sincerely appreciate your input and will continue to strive to make our guests at home in the Hill Country.

Been to Canyon of the Eagles Resort? Share your experiences!