“Nice place to road trip to” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 15 Attractions in Burnet
Type: Caverns/ Caves, State Parks, Outdoors
Minneapolis
25 attraction reviews
“Nice place to road trip to”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Even the road driving into the park is interesting...we called it the roller coaster road! This cavern was carved by a rushing underground river so the formations are different than other caves, kind of reminded me of Arizona a little bit. Beautiful grounds surrounding as well, nice hiking trails outside the caverns, so plenty to do while you wait for your tour to start. Tickets a little bit pricey. Lots of extra fees are added to the price that I was not aware of. Ended up being $90 for 5 adults and one 3 yr old., just to tour the cave. Cave tour lasts and hour and a half. Don't bother bringing a stroller, you'll end up carrying it around the terrain of the cave.

Houston, Texas
17 attraction reviews
“Great cave”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

Went on the generic tour and really enjoyed it. Our guide gave us the history of the cave, showed us the little bats and talked about the geology of the cave. Great crystal formations, calcite I think. Would highly recommend this tour for older children and adults.

19 attraction reviews
“It's very good and the tour last about 1 1/2 hours.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

This is a cave tour that has had practical value. It's been a hideout, storage for gun powder during the Civil War, a bar during prohibition, and now a tourist attraction after work by the CCC in 1930's.

Bourg, Louisiana
17 attraction reviews
“Wonderful cave for children.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I had been to this cave years ago when my children were young. It was the first cave we had ever visited and we loved it. Since then my children have gotten older and we have visited a few other great caves. We were in the area on an extended-family vacation and decided to visit again since the kids didn't remember it all that well and so my seven year old niece and nine year old newphew could make thier first ever cave visit. We all had a great time. We even saw a small bat. This cave is really beautiful with huge areas of smooth walls because it was formed by a river and that is what makes it different from most of the other caves I've seen. I think this is a good cave for children because it isn't as slippery or steep as some other caves. You always have to be careful but this cave is very easy to walk through. There are also areas with crystals in the cave wall that are very interesting to look at. There is an old stone structure and stairway that leds down to the cave with archways and seating areas that make great backgrounds for family or individual pictures. Check their website for tour times. (www.longhorncaverns.com) There are also trails on the property, however they were closed while we were visiting. You are allowed to take pictures in the cave but not video.

Visited December 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
5 attraction reviews
“Go, even if you've been to other Texas Caves!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I believe we've been to most caves in Texas, and this one was well worth the drive. It is much larger than we expected. It takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours to complete. You move pretty fast to get it all done, so I didn't get near as many pictures as I would have liked. My 10 and 13 year old really enjoyed this cave. The history is very interesting. Make sure you wear old non-slip shoes. There is a lot of water and mud. You do have to bend down to walk in several areas of the cave. It is very pretty and different than other Texas caves.

Visited July 2013