“one little outing” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Shops, Shopping
san antonio
“one little outing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

The kids loved the animal displays
and the little outing between swimming and lazing around. The trip from the hotel was less than 5 minutes, and the browsing the store was free. The large statues also gathered the children's attentions.

Visited November 2012

Houston, Texas
14 attraction reviews
“Museum-Quality Trophy Animal Displays”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I was surprised by the quality of the displays. Cabela's has done an excellent job designing the trophy displays and providing educational information. The small aquarium is also nicely done. Try to hang around for feeding time in the morning or afternoon. Big mouth bass going for goldfish is an exciting thing to see! I recommend Cabela's for both adults and children.

Visited October 2012
Missoula, Montana
“Send the better part of the staff up to Mitchell or Grand Forks they can learn what real service is to the costumer.....OMG...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

I live in South Dakota an have been to most of the northern stores an lower mid west. An always when you enter an area you are greeted not the case here. Kinda got told no such product, I said Grand Forks an Mitchell have it an was asked what is that.... at least have a clue where other stores in the country I understand I am in a much warmerarea

Acton Park, Australia
9 attraction reviews
“Fun Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

For anyone not familiar with the Texan Hunting & Shooting mentality a visit here is a must do.. Being greeted at the door by a sign proclaiming the archery season for deer is now open set the tone and the whole store is a monument to the great outdoors. It was an education.

Visited October 2012
New Braunfels, Texas
25 attraction reviews
“Neat place to visit & shop...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

At first I thought Cabela's was your typical over-priced sporting goods store, thinking a similar business to Bass Pro Shop, but walking in I was WOWED! Yes they do have the usual sporting equipment you'd expect to find but they have more to offer than just sporting goods. Firstly, it's two-stories and secondly, they have a totally awesome mountain in the rear of the store! A mountain with nicely placed 'stuffed' animals like mountain goats/sheep, etc. and water running through which makes it unique. They have a shooting gallery which is a lot of fun and also a mini-museum with different types of animals and habitat information along with an antique firearms room and indoor archery range...very different. I've never seen anything like it before in a store that I would shop in. They also have an elevator for those who may have trouble with stairs.
They don't have a large stock of boats like Bass Pro Shop has but they do have small fishing boats (flat-bottom "Jon boats"), paddle boats, kayaks, canoes, etc. that one would use in our area. They do have a nice selection of firearms and accessories but their customer service is a bit lacking in that department. We've been there at least 3-4 times and on two of those visits I was looking at some firearms and waited 10-20 minutes at the counter for assistance and everyone else who came up AFTER me, was helped...no one even spoke to me at all. Those who looked my way, turned and did other things or helped someone else rather than helping me, even though I'm sure they knew I'd been standing there for some time and just passed me by when I tried to get their attention. Other counter assistants in the firearms dept. did nothing more than visit with each other instead of helping waiting customers. There were plenty of helpers, just no one helping. I finally was able to get some assistance but the person helping me seemed pre-occupied and didn't offer a lot of helpful information on answering my questions (this was on the most recent visit). I felt like he didn't take me seriously as a potential buyer and seemed in a hurry to help someone else rather than me. The first time at the gun counter, on a previous occasion, I was helped by a young man with an obvious bad cold so I told him I'd come back another time...did not want to risk catching something by touching what he touched or being around him in general as he wasn't being very 'clean' with his germs. In my opionion, he should've been home being as sick as he obviously was. The store also doesn't sell "blanks" to help w/activities such as mounted shooting so those have to be procured elsewhere. Not sure if other sporting goods stores have blanks as I haven't checked.
The fishing and camping sections are nicely stocked and the front counter assistance was good and quick in helping us purchase fishing licenses.
Upstairs they have a lot of unique items for camping like truck tents, uniques hammocks and cooking equipment. They also have a grill and dining area as well as ammenities outside like dog kennels, horse corral and even a picnic area along with rv/semi parking too. They have a HUGE parking surrounding the store so there's normally plenty of parking.
A lot of their items are a bit pricey but some smaller accessories are averaged price for a sporting goods store. Cabela's is fun and unique in some ways but in other ways lacking in customer service in some areas but don't let that stop you from stopping and taking a look. I may've just gotten what I'd call bad service on "one of those days" so I can't give it an overall bad review just based on two incidents of poor customer service in the same service area.
All in all, if you're in Buda, Tx, go ahead and stop at Cabela's. It's worth the visit just to see the inside and they do offer ammenities that other sporting goods stores generally don't offer.

Visited September 2012