“Neat place to visit & shop...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Attractions in Buda
Type: Shops, Shopping
New Braunfels, Texas
25 attraction reviews
“Neat place to visit & shop...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

At first I thought Cabela's was your typical over-priced sporting goods store, thinking a similar business to Bass Pro Shop, but walking in I was WOWED! Yes they do have the usual sporting equipment you'd expect to find but they have more to offer than just sporting goods. Firstly, it's two-stories and secondly, they have a totally awesome mountain in the rear of the store! A mountain with nicely placed 'stuffed' animals like mountain goats/sheep, etc. and water running through which makes it unique. They have a shooting gallery which is a lot of fun and also a mini-museum with different types of animals and habitat information along with an antique firearms room and indoor archery range...very different. I've never seen anything like it before in a store that I would shop in. They also have an elevator for those who may have trouble with stairs.
They don't have a large stock of boats like Bass Pro Shop has but they do have small fishing boats (flat-bottom "Jon boats"), paddle boats, kayaks, canoes, etc. that one would use in our area. They do have a nice selection of firearms and accessories but their customer service is a bit lacking in that department. We've been there at least 3-4 times and on two of those visits I was looking at some firearms and waited 10-20 minutes at the counter for assistance and everyone else who came up AFTER me, was helped...no one even spoke to me at all. Those who looked my way, turned and did other things or helped someone else rather than helping me, even though I'm sure they knew I'd been standing there for some time and just passed me by when I tried to get their attention. Other counter assistants in the firearms dept. did nothing more than visit with each other instead of helping waiting customers. There were plenty of helpers, just no one helping. I finally was able to get some assistance but the person helping me seemed pre-occupied and didn't offer a lot of helpful information on answering my questions (this was on the most recent visit). I felt like he didn't take me seriously as a potential buyer and seemed in a hurry to help someone else rather than me. The first time at the gun counter, on a previous occasion, I was helped by a young man with an obvious bad cold so I told him I'd come back another time...did not want to risk catching something by touching what he touched or being around him in general as he wasn't being very 'clean' with his germs. In my opionion, he should've been home being as sick as he obviously was. The store also doesn't sell "blanks" to help w/activities such as mounted shooting so those have to be procured elsewhere. Not sure if other sporting goods stores have blanks as I haven't checked.
The fishing and camping sections are nicely stocked and the front counter assistance was good and quick in helping us purchase fishing licenses.
Upstairs they have a lot of unique items for camping like truck tents, uniques hammocks and cooking equipment. They also have a grill and dining area as well as ammenities outside like dog kennels, horse corral and even a picnic area along with rv/semi parking too. They have a HUGE parking surrounding the store so there's normally plenty of parking.
A lot of their items are a bit pricey but some smaller accessories are averaged price for a sporting goods store. Cabela's is fun and unique in some ways but in other ways lacking in customer service in some areas but don't let that stop you from stopping and taking a look. I may've just gotten what I'd call bad service on "one of those days" so I can't give it an overall bad review just based on two incidents of poor customer service in the same service area.
All in all, if you're in Buda, Tx, go ahead and stop at Cabela's. It's worth the visit just to see the inside and they do offer ammenities that other sporting goods stores generally don't offer.

Visited September 2012

Austin, Texas
27 attraction reviews
“Take a break here!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

If you're travelling on I35 between Austin and San Antonio and would welcome a chance to get out of the car and stretch your legs a bit...this is a very pleasant (very well air conditioned) place to do it!

It's free to walk in and wander about the place. You can easily burn up an hour or two looking at the variety of goods and exhibits they have on display. Even though I'm not a hunter, I was interested to learn about the different methods employed to rate points on deer antlers.

Very easy access off/and back on the highway, plenty of free parking and if you choose not to eat in the cafe/deli inside; there are several large chain restaurants (Chili's Logan's Roadhouse etc...) that almost share the same parking lot.

A welcome pitstop on the long (& often boring) ride home on I35!

Visited July 2012
Van Buren, Arkansas
12 attraction reviews
“Awesome!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

OMG!!!! What an awesome store, my husband and I spent around an hour just looking at all the merchandise and then the fountains and animals. I found some neat ideas for redecorating the house to early christmas ideas. I would say its better then Bass Pro

Visited June 2012
Austin, Texas
4 attraction reviews
“It's more than a store, it's an adventure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Best outdoors store, you want it they got it! Love the cool fishing and hunting gear. Great selection for both men and women.

It's more than a store, it's an adventure!

Visited August 2011
SoCal
3 attraction reviews
“Great store!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Wow, an outdoorsman's Disneyland. Friendly helpfull staff to guide you.

Visited December 2011