“Upscale Food In A Casual Atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 149 Restaurants in Bryan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Doing business, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Woodway, Texas
“Upscale Food In A Casual Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Attached to a decorator's dream (Old Bryan Marketplace), this quaint restaurant makes you feel as though you've taken a seat at an old friends dining table, and are awaiting some homemade cooking. Dining here for lunch, items of choice were the grilled meatloaf and the grilled chicken. Side items for both entree's were more than ample, and complimented both dishes wonderfully. Service was attentive without being overbearing (ie: drinks were refilled as soon as the glass was close to empty).

The only "slight" complaint - we were seated right next to the door, ergo, every time someone walked in, we would become privy to their parties conversation, which in turn, made it difficult to hear each other. I would recommend calling ahead to make reservations (and specifying a table either in the back or towards the side), as this restaurant seems to be a popular favorite of those in the BCS area.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Great food at a great price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Madden's is a great place for lunch. Their menu changes from time to time because Chef Peter Madden offers great seasonal dishes. My favorite dish right now is the meatloaf with mash potatoes, sauteed cabbage on a delicate tomato sauce. I also like the turkey sandwich when available. If you get a sandwich I would recommend the fruit as a side; the roasted potatoes are nothing to write about. The desserts are amazing; specially the bread pudding and the creme brulee.
Prices are reasonable, with dishes costing $9.50-$13.
Staff is friendly and knowledgeable.

Visited June 2013
Houston, Texas
“Delicious and quiet dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Ate here tonight for the first time at a friend's suggestion. We will be back! The service was fantastic and the atmosphere is casual but hip. It is located behind the Old Bryan Marketplace so you are nestled in the back in a cozy setting. My husband had the filet. I had the duck. Both were phenomenal. HIghly recommend this place for adults wanting a nice dinner in Bryan. Probably not best for kids.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cypress, Texas
“My favorite spot in CS”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I dine here periodically when I visit my grandmother in CS. The food is always good and fresh and NOT something that you can find everywhere else. On my last visit our server was very attentive without hovering. The prices are fair for the quantity & quality of the dishes. One of the best aspects of this place is that you can have a conversation without yelling (unlike many of the chain restaurants in town). As an added bonus they have "mini" desserts. The same items (with the exception of one) but in a much smaller serving- just enough to satisfy a sugar craving!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Texas
“Not as good as it used to be...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We had eaten here several times in the fall and really enjoyed our experiences; however, our last trip was extremely disappointing, not only to us, but the other three couples with whom we dined. Service was slow, the wait person put our bottle of wine on another couple's check, and my husband's scallops were old and he couldn't eat them. The management did take that charge off of our bill, which was very kind. I hope they can turn things around, but it will be a long while before I return.

• Visited April 2013