“Worth A Detour” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Christopher's World Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 146 Restaurants in Bryan
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 1/2 mile from University Rd.
Dallas, TX USA
“Worth A Detour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Between Houston and Dallas there is an eating place worth going out of your way to visit. Christopher's isn't cheap and it isn't ordinary but it is exceptional in many ways from the comprehensive menu of expertly prepared dishes to the wine list. Add exemplary service and friendly staff in nice surroundings and you have a sure winner. Dishes are prepared using fresh ingredients and herbs from gardens on the property. You will need reservations most evenings which is indicative of what locals think of the place. It is worth a detour.

Visited June 2014

Magnolia, Texas
“Overpriced and overwrought - needs a reality check”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

The charming house with pocket doors and other neat architectural features has been divided into a rabbit warren of rooms, some behind tacky drapes. Every room is tightly packed with tables. You will need several waiters to show you the way to the restroom and back to your table.

I had requested a roomy table (the reservation agent noted it would be an 'accessible' table), but our party was given one of the poorest tables in the "monkey chandelier room". Waitstaff were constantly zipping behind our table which faced two doorways and it was very irritating. There were other tables open, and we requested to be moved but our request was denied. The piped-in jazz music was too loud.

I had looked at the menu on the website, so I was familiar with the selections and the pricing. I understand extra costs for splitting an appetizer or entree, but Christopher's charges extra for every little thing. The bartender was outstanding; all of our drinks were expertly crafted with an exceptional rating given to the Bloody Mary with marinated vegetable garnish. You will spend about $11 for a martini. Good grief!

The varied artisan breads were tasty but cooler than room temperature. An excellent little tidbit preceded the salads. The Caesar salad was a chopped salad; it looked soggy and the overall flavor was just ok. It was served on a long rectangular trough-like plate which did not help the presentation one whit. The Roquefort Apple Salad was excellent. Be aware that there is little flexibility in the kitchen. If you do not like Roquefort, you cannot substitute cheeses and having your salad dressing on the side causes some consternation. Don't dare request salt and pepper! The server will wrinkle his nose and it will come sprinkled in a little saucer.

One guest enjoyed the snapper tremendously, the Bayou Stuffed Chicken was just ok, and the night's special was pronounced very good. I had the French Quarter Shrimp. The shrimp had a briny flavor and was tough. A large amount of the tail was in the shell and was impossible to cut. The sauce was too spicy and overseasoned; I could not taste the grits at all. One of our guests ordered the chocolate cake which was delicious. You can be sure that no extra plates or forks were provided in case you wanted to share a bite of anything. One of our party requested a box for his left over chicken--it never arrived and he was too intimidated to ask for it again.

Our server was knowledgable about the menu but was too chatty, managing to get the "working my way through college" bit into the conversation to chum for a bigger tip. It was interesting to watch the servers precisely ready the linen and silverware, measuring distances, etc. like it was a state banquet. A table that remained empty the entire time we were there.

Christopher's disappointed me greatly based on the great reviews, the website, and the menu offerings. I would not return. For those with mobility issues there are steep wooden steps that you must climb to enter the narrow restaurant door. Good luck getting around once you are in there.

Bad marks are given for the overly complex food, the exhorbitant prices, the unwillingness to fulfill any request 'off the script', and for not moving our table.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Texas
1,421 helpful votes 1,421 helpful votes
“A Great Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Today two out-of-town friends and I had lunch at Christopher's World Grille and, as usual, it was a wonderful dining experience. The service provided by Jaime was friendly and attentive and the food was prepared to perfection. I had the Roquefort Apple Salad followed by the Zihuatanejo Snapper and my friends each had the 6 oz. filet. and the desserts were great! For a fine dining experience in the Brazos Valley, go to Christopher's, you won't be disappointed.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bryan, Texas, United States
“Won't find any Spam on this menu....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Best fine dining in Bryan-College Station. White linen table clothes. No Foo Foo portions here. Fantastic desserts. Wonderful wine list. Piano music sometimes.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
tx
“World class food, not cheap but well worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Wonderful food, I would not call it cuisine because it's totally edible with reasonable portions. The layers of flavor are subtle but discernible. We both had appetizers, but I would recommend sharing. I had the stuffed mushrooms , excellent in flavor and texture . Wife had the crab cake, also excellent. She had the steak, which I tasted. The absolute best I have ever had including Ruth's Chris. I had the Bolognase which was good but not incredible. Served with a tubular pasta which was a little hard to twirl and keep the good flavor with. We shared a dessert, key lime tort. Outstanding, well beyond any key lime dessert I have had anywhere and I have it frequently. Only down note, and not too bad, our server was a little too friendly/familiar. He was young though. A wonderful dining experience. No rush. We were about two hours, our pace, no real wait. I will go back.