“Harvest Time” 4 of 5 stars

Katy, Texas
10 attraction reviews
“Harvest Time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The six of us, my husband, myself, our 12 year old grandson, my sister, her son and her 9 year old grandson, left Houston very early one Saturday morning to Harvest grapes. Since we had kids, we opted for the $49 tour which included harvesting and stomping the grapes, putting our footprints on a T-shirt, tour of the winery and sampling three wines and we skipped the lunch. What a great morning.

Wear clothing you don't mind will get stained and wear sunscreen, closed toe shoes, sunglasses and a hat. It can get very warm but we were blessed with overcast skies and lower humidity.

We had a 30 minute orientation and then we headed to the vineyard. We had so much fun harvesting the grapes, putting them into the bins and then dumping them into the back of the truck and repeating this process for over 45 minutes. Since we had over 100+ people on the tour, we were broken up into three groups. The staff was very knowledgeable and professional and made you feel at home.

The only negative is the Big Kahuna contest which is a waste of 20+ minutes while folks voting on grape cluster that are unusual. During the contest, young kids (and older ones too) get restless, It would be nice if our time was occupied with something else. Perhaps, they should let everyone that didn’t enter the contest, opt to move on with the tour instead of waiting for the contest to be over.

Other than that, it was a very good time. I have always wanted to stomp grapes ~ ever since I saw Lucille Ball do it on the I Love Lucy Show. It was a blast and well worth the trip to Bryan. Way to go Messina Hof!

Visited July 2013

Houston, Texas, United States
17 attraction reviews
“Wow! We had a blast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We went up to Bryan from Houston on a Saturday morning to visit this winery. The staff were super friendly and made us feel at home from the get-go. We took the tour and our guide Emily knew so much about the history of the family, the winery, wine making, and the wines that I was floored to find out she only worked there several months. At the end of the tour the tasting was delightful with a perfect cross section of the types of wines they make and sell. I think their wines rival anything I've tasted in Napa Valley. We absolutely will visit again. Hopefully even a stay at the B&B they have on site.

Visited June 2013
3 attraction reviews
“Winery charm, Gourmet Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Perfect for a day trip from Houston/Katy, the drive up non-interstate highways in the Spring during Texas wildflower season is nearly thrilling enough. But the charming winery, tasting @ gift center are far above average for Texas. (Having plenty of experience with Napa, Sonoma, and many Tx Hill Country wineries, this European-inspired gem holds its own very well.)
But then, the piece de resistance (sp?), is the gourmet restaurant that not only serves their B&B guests, but more than surprises and delights their many insider-privileged loyal fans/dining customers. This place is highly recommended for short visits/tastings, overnight stays, as well as casual or more formal lunch or dinner dining.

Visited March 2013
Houston, Texas
“Phenomenal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

First let me say I have been in the hospitality profession for over 11 years with one of the worlds highest rated hotels and resorts. The service I received here went way above and beyond my expectations. I had made short plans to ask my girlfriend to marry me and luckily I chose this restaurant to do it. I called and explained my situation and was quickly accommodated with different options to assist me. After a spectacular dinner with superb atmosphere and service they set the plan in motion. They were able to sneak the ring into the back, where the manager personally looked up napkin origami, to best work for my plan. Once they brought out desert they placed the rose shaped napkin in front of my girlfriend with the ring setting right in the middle. They helped take a special night to new heights that my girlfriend and I will always be thankful for. The service and spectacular food will guarantee that we keep coming back and recommending them to everyone we know.

Visited April 2013
8 attraction reviews
“Friendly staff at winery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Yes, we stayed there. The B&B was amazing!
The wine tasting and wine tour was really something else. Messina Hof offers and shoes more then what I've witnessed in other tours and tastings.
Who would have known...Texas wine is fantastic! Different varieties for all pallets and taste buds.
Very knowledgable staff and friendly too...almost like friends, great friends who love what they do and love the wine produced and created at Messina Hof!
Very humbling experience and we left with some yummy wine and great memories of our time there!