“Amazing Wine...Outstanding Staff - Simply a delightful Place!” 5 of 5 stars

The Villa at Messina Hof
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4545 Old Reliance Road, Bryan, TX 77808   |
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Bryan
Bryan, Texas
“Amazing Wine...Outstanding Staff - Simply a delightful Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband and I travel for pleasure at least 3-5 times a year. Me for business 10-15 times a year. The first phone call I made to the Villa's @ Messina Hof was answered by Emily. She listened to what I wanted and then suggested rooms that would meet my requests. The only time I had to call her again is when I needed to make a correction. I received a confirmation email from them when the rooms were booked and then follow up email's related to activities going on at the Vineyard and the Villa's.

I booked two rooms at the Villa to surprise my Sister for a big yr birthday celebration! Upon arrival I met with Jean who gave us the lay of the land and keys to both rooms so we could have her birthday gifts, flowers, balloons, wine, etc waiting for her arrival. Jean saw to every need or question that I or my husband raised, she is an great lady!

We were able to do the wine tour with the wonderfully animated Michael who was soo much fun. This was my 10+ time of doing the tour but my sister and my husband's first time and they enjoyed it immensely.

We had the Thomas Jefferson room & The Venus room. I put my sister and her boyfriend in the Thomas Jefferson room as it has the greatest view of the pond, waterfall and the vineyards!

The Venus is a lovely room but the view is that of the parking lot, but the balcony is still equally inviting for a sipping your wine late a night (excellent breeze to in the am for sipping your Mimosa!)

We had a lovely breakfast and even visited with Mr & Mrs. Bonariggo (the owners of Messina Hof) while we ate. Mrs. Bonariggo is a lovely lady and her husband is an outstanding gentleman.

We live in B/CS and this was our first stay at the Villa's @ Messina Hof. As I previously stated I go there frequently with girlfriends and business associates but we will make it a point from this year forward to stay at least one every other year for a birthday celebration.

We vacation 28-40 days a year and are 5 years out from full retirement!

Room Tip: Thomas Jefferson best view. Venus exact layout but no view except parking lot. Both rooms are on opp...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Magnolia, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We have been all over the world but this is one of our favorite places to go ... and it's only an hour from our home! Messina Hof Winery is such a beautiful place to visit and unwind. There is so much to see and do here. It's not far from Texas A&M University and the George Bush Presidential Library. The grounds are simply stunning. Take a romantic stroll through the vineyards, sit and enjoy fabulous Texas wines in the tasting room, go on a tour of the winery, eat lunch/dinner at the wonderful restaurant. There is always something exciting going on here. Check out their web site at www.messinahof.com for their schedule of events. Be sure to visit on harvest weekends in August of each year. It's a great time and lots of fun. Paul and Merrill Bonarrigo are the wonderful owners of Messina Hof, and they are often walking around the grounds greeting their guests.

The Villa is a real treat. Each of the 11 rooms is beautifully decorated. We stayed in the Thomas Jefferson room which was huge! Had a nice balcony overlooking the vineyards. It was so peaceful, especially in the quiet of the morning. Along with our room we also received chocolates, wine and cheese, and a free tour of the vineyard. In the morning we had a complimentary champagne breakfast buffet for The Villa guests. The innkeeper made a casserole that was out of this world!

I can't say enough about this place. It's a well-kept secret in the heart of Texas.

Room Tip: Book early especially during the spring/summer. The Villa is very popular and fills up quickly!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

This is a very pretty B&B in Bryan, Texas, which is not known for pretty hotels. Our room, the Thomas Jefferson room was large and nice. The wine/cheese sampler was also nice. The wines are good for Texas wines. We stayed here for our daughter's graduation from A&M, and it was not very convenient to get to the school. And, getting in touch with them to make a change in our reservation was very difficult through the Hotels.com and calling them. However, if visiting in the area, it is the most unique hotel and would be fun for a night out.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Messina Hof for my fiance's birthday and truly enjoyed our stay! Our stay included a free tour of the vineyard and a wine and cheese social for the nights we were there, both of which were wonderful. Chocolate night is on Wednesday nights and that was so neat! For $10 you get a few things coated in chocolate and three wines paired along with the food. The included breakfast was amaaaaaazing and we really enjoyed that. We stayed in the D'Artagnon suite and the furniture was gorgeous. I opted to do the VIP membership which I would not have done in hindsight as they called me two months later saying it had expired, but overall it was an enjoyable trip that I would recommend for a low key trip.

• Stayed February 2012
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Villa for 2 nights while our daughter attended a sports camp at Texas A&M University. It was like heaven on earth. The staff made us feel completely at home. We arrived about 3 hours before check-in, knowing we were early, and the staff never made us feel bad for arriving early. We just went to the wine bar and enjoyed some wine tasting flights while we watched World Cup soccer and waited for our room to be ready. The owner of Messina Hof, Paul, even visited our table to talk about soccer while we were there. The two ladies serving at the wine bar were friendly and attentive, but did not hover.
We stayed in the Hof room, and it was decorated with antiques, including items from Hof, Germany, one of the cities after which the winery is named. The bathroom was spacious, and the toiletries smelled very nice. There was also a mini-fridge as well as a wine bucket, cork screw, and glasses so you could bring your wine purchases back to the room and enjoy them on the porch.
Breakfast included serve yourself fruits and cheeses. You could also choose from coffee, juices, or a mimosa to drink. The main course changed each morning. One morning was scrambled eggs and sausage, and the other morning was cherry blintzes. The eggs and sausage were good, but I just loved the blintzes.
Included with the stay was a glass of wine each and a cheese appetizer one evening. We were allowed to select any wine from the wine bar menu, not just from a limited selection. Also, a complementary tour of the vineyard included tasting 4 types of wines, and we were allowed to keep our glasses.
We also splurged and attended one of the special Cooking Party with the Chef dinners. It was $70 each plus tax and gratuity, and it was worth every penny. We were greeted with champagne and appetizers, and then had a 4 course dinner which included wine pairings with each course. The food portions were sizeable, and many people took leftovers home with them. Wine glasses were also refilled as often as you liked, so there was no need to try and stretch a couple of ounces of wine across a full course. The food was rich and filling, and the wines worked very nicely with each course.
About the only detractor was that the main area lights were left on all night, and light shined into the room through stained glass over the door. I understand that lights may be a necessity for safety, but maybe not quite as bright. This was not enough to keep us from wanting to go back again very soon, though! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011 via mobile

Wonderful restaurant!! Try the gorgonzola chicken!!! The wine is good and our server (Lisa) was fabulous! This is a great place to go for a special occasion!! I highly recommend taking a walk through the vineyards after your meal, if the weather allows.

• Stayed February 2011
College Station, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

The room
We stayed in the Thomas Jefferson room. It had a very old time, antiquey feel. The view wasn't too bad, but the balcony was very small. It was clean and pretty much what I expected. The only weird thing is that we didn't have a doorknob on the bathroom.

The food
The restaurant was very good. The prices weren't cheap, but the food was good. My steak was cooked just right. The wine of course was great. The service was great too.

The food II
The morning we left we were served breakfast in the villa. There was tons to eat. pastries, meats, eggs, juices, and mimosas. And once again the service was great.

The best part about everything was the overall experience. There is a tour with tasting. Nice open wine fields as far as you can see. A pond to walk around. A wine bar with cheese and tons of wines to drink.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Villa at Messina Hof? Share your experiences!