“Expected a little more.” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Eclectic
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Abilene, TX
“Expected a little more.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I may be a little moer critical of restaurants ranked #1 (which it is/was) - but...
My local beef was pretty good. My wife said her reuben was great.
I ordered one of their specialty beers, they brought me the wrong one. But it was still good.
My wife ordered a wine sampling ($2) - which never appeared (and was removed from the ticket).
I asked for medium-rare. If you pay $10 for a burger in Brownwood, TX - it should not be over-cooked.
Decor is funky and almost cool, but needs more work.
Service was slow, not coordinated, inaccurate. Friendly, but sub-par.
Only three lunch-type choices in the Sunday brunch menu, so if you're looking for lunch you'd better like beef, pasta, or reuben.
Good enough, but not worthy of a #1 rating.
Our meal was $40 with tip.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

San Antonio, Texas
“ATTN FOODIES (and travelers) - Pleasantly surprised.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I'm not typically one to write a review unless I'm really disappointed in a place... (I know, I know - not fair...bleh.) About once a month my work takes me to lovely Brownwood, TX. Not being sarcastic - I love the proximity to the lake, lack of traffic, and overall feel/vibe of this gem of a town. My only complaint is that I would rather pick up whataburger and eat in my hotel room than go out to dinner in most of the local establishments.

I've asked some local clientelle for nice dinner suggestions and have been disappointed every time. Then I stumbled into "The Turtle" dining room a couple of months back - I was blown away - an awesome menu (I wish they would update it on their website - ) and incredible wine and craft beer availability. I ordered (and ate) like a fat kid and had their flatbread, a salad, steak and a few beverages on my first visit. I was impressed and decided right then and there that I would make this my dinner stop whenever work takes me to Brownwood.

My most recent visit, I decided to sit at the bar - as i was arriving a solid 30 minutes before the dining room opened for dinner. Nicole and ?Hailey? were very attentive and provided excellent service - along with top notch craft beer and entree suggestions. I started with the cheese plate - which was a fantastic idea, then moved to a made-from scratch pasta, and then the braised beef - and bread pudding to go (which I'm enjoying as I type this review.).

Blown away. Definitely doesn't feel like I'm in Brownwood, TX.

Gentlemen, this is a great place to take a lady, on your first date or your 15th anniversary.

Ladies - very cool place for a "girls night" or happy hour - GREAT wine offerings by bottle and glass. Enough room that you can move your party away from any creepers who may show up (although not likely it will be a problem.)

Price? yeah, may be a little pricey by Brownwood standards, but you can bring a date, have an appetizer, a couple of drinks each, and get out the door for under $100 easily, including a proper gratuity.

Entrees range from about $10-20.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Brownwood, Texas
“Overpriced, for very little, and NOT what I'd call palettable”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Title pretty much sums it up.....These type places might work in NYC, LA, or any other place where people are used to being overcharged for tiny portions of food that wouldn't pass for skillet's leftovers.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Saturday lunch hit the spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Was in town for a wedding and stopped in for a Saturday afternoon lunch. My wife and I split leek soup and it was a good warmup. She got the rueben sandwich and I had the hamburger special of the day. They were excellent and the homemade chips and bread made a difference. It was a big linch so we didn't have Ron for dessert. We did peak into the wine bar and it looks like a nice place for an evening drink. If you want to avoid the chains, this is the place to go.

The Woodlands, Texas
“Yummy and romantic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

The Hummus small plate was a great start and my husbands burger was awesome.

Visited June 2012