“Very disappointing experience at the Mariposa Ranch B&B” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mariposa Ranch Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brenham
Mariposa Ranch Bed and Breakfast
You added Mariposa Ranch Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
8904 Mariposa Lane, Brenham, TX 77833   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Brenham B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“Very disappointing experience at the Mariposa Ranch B&B”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

We booked 2 nights but left after one, as early as we could get ready the next morning. The Ranch Hand Bunkhouse was our selection based on photos on the web site and good reviews. In summation, the place was dirty, the amenities very outdated and the cost was way out of line.

Specifically, the floor and rugs were dirty; the refrigerator, though working, was filthy on the outside, like it had just recently been brought in from living on the porch; the bathroom accommodations were so-so (toilet so close to the wall you have to sit sideways and the shower so small you could barely move in it) and we didn't even try the jacuzzi because the water smells so bad. Described as a jacuzzi for two, I doubt we'd have been able to move around IF we'd gotten in the thing. Outfitted with a hotel-type floor A/C and a somewhat ineffective window unit in the bedroom, we had to keep them both running at 68 to keep the temp down enough to sleep without sweating. Really old TVs and no DVD player made watching our movies only possible with our laptop we just happened to bring along. Living area furniture was uncomfortable, to boot.

But the icing on the cake: a scorpion ran across the floor, right in front of my bare feet. Now, given the dry conditions and the place being in the country, it wouldn't have been a shocker to see a scorpion outside, but in the house? And there was no mention of the possibility of running into a scorpion; had we been warned, I certainly wouldn't have taken my shoes off. I am thankful I didn't get stung.

Fairly recently, we stayed at a different B&B, a little southwest of Brenham and I guess that place spoiled us. We'd have gone there, but it was booked solid this weekend; hence, we took what we thought was a small risk and selected Mariposa for our getaway. I guess the odds are that you're going to hit a dud every once in awhile, and that we did. The other place was amazing and COST LESS. So we really expected Mariposa to be at least as nice, with the slightly higher per night price, and we were sorely let down.

After speaking to the innkeepers, they offered to comp the room, but since we stayed the one night, we felt it fair to pay for that night in exchange for a refund for the second night. So a plus with regard to fairness on the innkeeper's part.

Room Tip: Call, ask questions.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

My wife & I went for a break from the big city. I found Mariposa Ranch online & was afraid I was taking a chance. It was a chance worth taking. We are practically a newlyweds and it was like a second honeymoon. I doubt that we could relive the time we spent there.
We went on a Sunday so we had the place to ourselves. Staying at the Fern Cottage was surreal. We felt like we were off on an island by ourselves, waking up to the sound of birds and a fresh breeze each morning.
The amenities including among other things a bbq pit and 2 dogs, one complete with 3 legs. The staff was helpful and very hospitable. We found plenty to do in the nearby towns of Brenham & Somerville.
Would I recommend it yes, but I’d also like to keep it a secret.
BnB

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
hillcountrytexas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

We stayed in the Texas Ranger Cabin. On a much needed get-away, we arrived with the
outside temp about 21 degrees with a North wind! Yikes! But the couples massage that
Mary had helped us arrange in our cabin was wonderful and we settled right in. (Thank you Gloria & Linda!) Had a great fire (firewood provided by host!) in the fireplace, plenty
of hot water, soft robes, fridge, coffee maker, very comfortable bed (a little extra care needed to go up and down the stairs -- rather steep, but it's the loft (!) and part of the adventure and fun), great hearty breakfast, and everything was wonderfully clean. Very friendly beautiful white dog appeared on the porch in the morning to greet us as well. Didn't get to sit out on the porch this trip but certainly hope to return someday.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Katy, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

I was extremely disappointed with Mariposa Ranch. My husband and I went for our anniversary and were hoping to have an enjoyable evening. The location is quaint and we were excited as we made the drive through the property. A cute dog greeted us when we got out of the car and wanted us to play fetch (there are dogs everywhere). Once we entered our cabin, the excitement ended. The sheets had an old semen stain on them...uggghhhh! I called to ask for new sheets and the manager argued with me. She said the sheets were clean and nobody would be able to change them. My husband and I started to get our things together to leave. Finally she called me back and said the owner would go by the cabin and change the sheets. I was not happy about he nasty stain, but I was more unhappy with the manager's attitude. The jaccuzzi for two was not clean. There was a cobweb in the corner, hair in the tub, and brown something growing out of one of the jets. It was 100 degrees outside and I just wanted a shower. The tub has a hand faucet, but you cannot really take a shower. I had to bend down on my knees in the tub in order to use the hand faucet to take a shower. The television did not work and the floors needed to be cleaned. I was extremely disappointed with Mariposa Ranch and would NEVER stay here. I went home and took a hot shower.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
College Station, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

Our guests at the Friends annual meeting raved about the Mariposa setting and hospitality. As event planners, we appreciated the special attention to detail and customized service, as well as the beautiful, relaxed setting.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

The accommodations are very comfortable, spacious and well laid out. If you are looking for the room uniformity of a Hyatt don't come. If you like interesting appointments with old world ambiance, definitely come. We recommend Mariposa as a get away place and a special event setting.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Denton, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

Secluded large B&B with a lot of room options and a pool in a beautiful Texas ranch setting. Big plantaion house surrounded by oaks and several cabins spread around the 100 acre site. Very nice and close enough to Brenham,and Bryan for easy day trips.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Mariposa Ranch Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!