“Excellent stay, excellent staff,” 5 of 5 stars

You added Gaia Riverlodge to your Saves list
Gaia Riverlodge
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   P.O. Box 173, Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve, Belize   |
Philadelphia
“Excellent stay, excellent staff,”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The five of us (wife, 3 pre-teen kids and I) stayed in Gaia River Lodge in November 2011, when it was still Five Sisters for three nights. We loved it, and we highly recommend it.
- The service was phenomenal. Everyone was so eager to help. We happened to arrive after 22:00, and they opened up the dining hall and kitchen for us.
- Our cabin (“Crooked Tree”) was basic yet comfortable, clean and sufficiently big. We loved the covered porch. The cabins also appear nicely spread out to give the guests their privacy.
- The dining experience, from the taste, to the presentation, to the dining room with an overlook, was wonderful. After the breakfast the cook asked us for dinner orders, and time when it should be ready for us.
- The location is secluded, yet well situated for an excursion around the Cayo district: it is 30 to 40 minutes to Douglas Da Silva to join the 9:30 convoy to Caracol, a little under an hour to San Ignacio, a slightly more to Xunantunich or Actun Tunichil Muknal.
- The roads to Gaia River Lodge from Georgeville or Santa Elena were in good shape. They are mostly dirt, some gravel, but nothing that our 2 WD car could not handle.
- We knew what we wanted to visit around the Cayo District when we got to the Lodge, so we did not take any guided tours that were being sold to guest by the Lodge. I have no idea how many people opt out the guided tours, but the Lodge personnel appeared bewildered at our insistence of going at it by ourselves.
- Please note that the Lodge is in hills and not in the lowlands. This means cooler weather, meaning that it is more comfortable, but it also means that the wilderness is pine growth and not the more exotic tropical jungles that some folks prefer.
- Swimming in the river close to the nearby 80-foot waterfall beats any swimming pool.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Missoula, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My children and I have spent the last year mourning the loss of my husband to cancer. He was always the adventurous one and the kids miss him like crazy. It seemed important to me to try a new destination and to start some brand new adventures. So, at 52 I bring my two teens to the Gaia River Lodge. I was a bit nervous after learning how far into the jungle the lodge is but upon arriving in Belize City I was quickly comforted by the sight of our gentle guide, Calbert, offering me a glass of Chardonnay and a reassuring smile... From that moment on our time there just got better and better. Spending days in caves or ruins with Calbert was like hanging with your favorite science teacher (including tarantula whispering...). Everyone was warm, genuine and very lovingly offer their services whether it be food, drink, housekeeping, or hosting. Our time was too short there as we were busy each day with our "Mayan Jungle Package" and in retrospect, wish we would have planned to stay longer...next time! Our time with you all was just what we needed, thank you so much!

Room Tip: Our River Cabana was clean and roomy, we were very comfortable. By the second day we had a hard tim...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

I just returned from a 10-day trip to Belize with my mother, the first leg of which, we stayed at the Gaia Riverlodge (formerly Five Sisters). We opted for the airport transfer, and I encourage taking advantage of this because the roads into the lodge are very rough and not paved. I was way more comfortable with our experienced driver, Calbert, at the wheel than I would have been with my mother or myself. Calbert greeted us with a cooler of cool drinks, including a couple cold Belikins! On the ride from the airport Calbert did an excellent job pointing out places of interest and answering any questions we had about Belize.
We arrived at Gaia, the staff received us warmly. The manager, Nigel, the bartenders Oswald and Yasir, and Lucy and Troy made us feel at home, every one was so friendly, quick to smile and easy to talk to. We stayed in the Lily room, which has a beautiful view of the Five Sisters waterfall on the property.
We arrived on at Gaia on my birthday, so my mother had a quick talk with the Nigel and Troy, and arranged for a birthday cake to be served for dessert. It was so sweet! We also had the luxury of being the only two guests on the property for the first two nights, so we got the chance to chat with the staff. The food was delicious! The company was great! And the grounds were beautiful!
We did two tours through Gaia, and both times we had Calbert as our guide. He took us to Caracol, and then the San Ignacio day trip which included Xunatunich and Cahal Pech. He is incredibly knowledgable and was able to answer all of our questions! The sites were each beautiful in their own way, but Caracol with the astronomy oberservatory was my favorite!
I defintely recommend staying at Gaia. Coming from NYC, I was really grateful for how remote the lodge is. There was no TV, no telephone service (for me), no clock in the room... It was welcome to be off the grid.
I think some people may be concerned about bugs... Our room had a giant screen window, providing the lovely view, and the soothing sound of the waterfalls, and yes, at night, with the bedside lamps on, little bugs would come around. Down by the falls, I got bit by some sand flies, but I didn't even notice when it happened, just the bumps afterwards, only some of which itched.
I will also say that if you have dietary concerns, the kitchen is so very accommodating. My mom has a few allergies, including fish/seafood/tropical fruit, and we let them know beforehand, so that if they could prepare they would. The staff at Gaia really does try and help make you as comfortable as possible during their stay! I can't wait to go back!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Gaia Riverlodge? Share your experiences!