“2012 Ryder Cup a Success!” 5 of 5 stars

The Resort at Tapatio Springs
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Resort Way, Boerne, TX 78006   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Boerne
Houston, Texas, United States
“2012 Ryder Cup a Success!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

My buddies and I have been trying to plan our own "Ryder Cup" golf tournament for a while now and we did just that at Tapatio Springs on April 20th - 22nd. We were looking for an unlimited play golf resort within reasonable driving distance from Houston, College Station, and Dallas. Compared to resorts in Austin and Louisiana, the value of Tapatio Springs trumped every other place we looked at.

Check-in was very easy. My buddies arrived a few hours before me and they had no trouble getting into their rooms that were booked under my name. We also were able to switch a few rooms to stay next door to each other, therefore I have no complaints about the hotel staff. The rooms were spacious, clean, and walking distance to the clubhouse. The only complaint our group had was that the mattresses are way to firm.

Saturday and Sunday morning breakfast was provided in our golf package for the weekend. Pretty basic buffet, but I always appreciate simple and convenient. The clubhouse at the resort is pretty impressive. It houses a large restaurant, good size bar, outdoor bar/patio/fire pit area, private men's locker room, and the pro shop. The restaurant has great views of the golf course. We had both lunch and dinner there. Menu has a great selection and prices are extremely reasonable compared to other golf clubs I've been to. Our only complaint was that service was pretty slow, but when you only have 2 waitresses tending 15+ tables that's to be expected. I was there to relax and play golf all weekend, so I was in no rush.

Now for the golf course. The club has the original 18 holes (Lakes and Valley courses) plus an additional 9 hole course called "Ridge." We played the original 18 holes on Saturday and Sunday morning and played the Ridge twice (18 holes total) on Saturday afternoon. The courses are short in length, but the hazards and design really make you think. You'll be penalized for poor shots, but rewarded when you play smart shots. Playing the "Ridge" was a blast. Although the course was even shorter than the Lakes and Valley courses, the elevation changes and hole designs are unlike anything I've ever played. A 120 yard par 3 with an elevation drop of 75 feet is just exciting to play. The condition of all three courses was better than expected, especially given that this is South Texas. There were some burned spots on the fairways and greens, but nothing really to complain about. The greens rolled very slow in the morning due to the dew, but were extremely fast in the afternoon once they dried out. The golf course staff was very friendly and helpful. One of our cart's died on Saturday afternoon and they brought us a new one right away. I heard the girl in the pro shop was even keeping score on our little tournament, so they were fun to chat with after the rounds.

All in all, great resort, great value, great golf course, and we had a great time. We're already planning another trip for the fall.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
austin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

This review should really be split into two different reviews; one for the lodging and one for everything else. The resort is in a beautiful location near Boerne and it is fairly remote, which we liked. So, if you plan on making quick trips to town or to the store, keep that in mind. We were looking for a getaway and we found it. Unfortunately, the first thing you see when you enter the resort is the lodging area. The buildings are old and drab and not very attractive. It appears that they have been well maintained, but it certainly doesn't enhance the overall feel. Inside, our room was clean and nice, but outdated in most aspects. The resort was nearly empty when we visited, so it gave it an eery feeling. I could be wrong, but if you scour their website, I don't believe you'll find any pictures of the exterior of the buildings and maybe only one shot of an interior.

The on the other hand, there is the restaurant/club house called La Cascada, I believe. It's beautiful, rugged and grand ... and overlooks the golf course. As mentioned, there were few people there when we arrived so we had no trouble grabbing a table next to the window overlooking the golf course and had great service. The menu was nice and the prices were reasonable. The bar was just as nice and we were well taken care of there, too.

We played the golf course in February in terrible weather, but from what I could tell, the courses were in fairly good shape. But if you are going for the golf, I would read some other opinions since it was cold and rainy when I played and just wanted to get back to the clubhouse.

So, all in all, we accomplished our goal of getting away and relaxing and really want to rate this 4 stars but the lodging aspect keeps me at a 3. I understand new owners have taken over (including George Strait) but I'm not sure what plans they have for upgrading/updating those buildings. I wish I would have taken some pictures of them to share, but it never crossed my mind to capture them.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Glennville, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed in March on a chilly, wet night after team roping. Had some trouble finding room, but another helpful guest put us in right locaion.After shopping in Tx for a week, was dismayed that there was no elevator to second floor and had quite heavy bags to bring up two flights of stairs. Our room was large. bed linens and pillows were very comfy, but could find no extra lightweight blanket or even extra pillows. Know this was unusual weather for Tx, but hate to sleep with heat on. Bottled water and snacks in room was a nice touch. A gas firplace woud have been a nice addition. Bathroom as well as bedroom was very clean, although bathroom seemed a littled dated. Toiletries were nice, but set out on counter, no trays or cover for face tissue-justa plain box. A resort should have extra special touches. Next day we enjoyed a great breakfast in restuarant and outstanding view of golf course. All employees and staff were friendly and helpful Jonathan in pro shop was great. Girls in office was also impressive as they were so kind to print our boarding passes. Although we did not play golf, the grounds were very pretty. Enjoyed seeing all the deer. Would definitely return as I would have liked to have stayed longer. Weather was much better on day we wee leaving and would have enjoyed seeing more of the courses.

Room Tip: Would prefer lower floor
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
san antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I recently stayed overnight at the renovated Tapatio Springs Resort and was overwhelmed with the friendly service and excellent hospitality! The rooms are well appointed and luxurious, with exquisite bedding and a wonderful Hill Country view on the small patio! We saw deer and enjoyed a wonderful brunch on Sunday morning. The thing I will remember most is forgetting to pack my cell phone charger and having Barb Tomlin actually drive it to my home in San Antonio to hand deliver it! Only in Texas would you find such a gracious act of kindness and thoughtfulness! I am so pleased to hear that George Strait restored this Hill Country treasure for all of us to enjoy. We will be back and will recommend it to all our friends and colleagues! Karen Gallagher

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 103, which was away from the beaten path and offered tranquility and privacy. Over...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012 via mobile

I have nothing negative to say about this place! Everything was perfect. The golf course and scenery, the pool, the room, the restaurant... I have to say that what left a significant impression on my friends and I was the friendliness of the staff. Everyone is happy to help you and answer questions. On Monday night Juanita was our server and she was very nice, even helped us by bringing matches and some newspaper to light up the outdoor fireplace after dinner, and they were cleaning up to go home already! Jonathan at the proshop was very helpful too. Thank you for everything! The renewed Tapatio Springs is our new favorite destination here in Texas!

• Stayed April 2012
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

A group of 12 of us recently took a golf vacation to the Tapatio Resort. Overall we had a great time and would like to commend a majority of the staff and the resort. The hotel staff was great and let us check in at 7am the morning we arrived which was very convenient. The golf staff was very friendly and accommodating to our group as well.

However, I must express my displeasure with the on-site restaurant and bar. Although I thought the food was very good, the service was slow to almost non-existent. At one breakfast the waitress ignored our table completely and then was rude to us when we finally flagged her down. We played 36 holes most days and even when we called ahead to order our lunch for pickup between rounds, it was normally not ready when we got there. One of our lunch orders didn't get brought out to us on the course until over an hour after we ordered it. That's completely unacceptable. I'm not sure if this is a problem with a lack of kitchen staff or a just a lack of urgency with the restaurant. However, it became a running joke that you should order your breakfast over the phone as soon as you wake up if you hope to get it before you tee off 90 minutes later.

Other than that we had a great time. The Valley course is still undergoing improvements and was our least favorite of the three. The Lakes course was in good shape and the most popular (ie crowded) course at the resort. The Ridge course was by far our favorite with a great deal of elevation change between tee and greens. The greens on the Ridge course were in the best shape of the three courses as well. We were disappointed to see that all of the courses were cart path only which made for quite a bit of walking. However, it’s my understanding that the drought conditions are about over and they will resume letting carts on the course in about a week.

I'd definitely return to this resort and recommend it to any groups looking to have a nice golf vacation.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

It has been a number of years since our last visit to Tapatio and it is hard to recognize the place it has changed so much. The new facility with large and comfy rooms, restaurant and pro shop: everything new, clean and upscale. The golf course has always been a great and challenging layout and we were impressed with the condition considering the extreme draught the area has experienced. Naturally the staff can make a visit exceptional and the people working at Tapatio went out of their way to make our visit special. I cannot recall ever staying at a place where I was made to feel so much special. I say kudos to the new owners who have spared no expense in the remodel. We will definitely return.
Fred & Patti

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Resort at Tapatio Springs? Share your experiences!