“Worst Hotel Ever! Do Not Go There. Ought to be condemned.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Big Spring

Save Saved
You added Motel 6 Big Spring to your Saves list
Motel 6 Big Spring
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   600 West I-20 Rt 2, I-20 at U.S. 87, Exit #177, Big Spring, TX 79720   |
Ranked #12 of 15 hotels in Big Spring
Texas
“Worst Hotel Ever! Do Not Go There. Ought to be condemned.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was the most disgusting place we have ever stayed at. The bed had not been made properly and the sheets did not even fit the mattress. My husband went to the desk to get fresh sheets, but the man said he did not have any and told him to go to another room and get the sheets from that bed. These were only a little better, but seemed cleaner, but also did not fit properly. The bathroom was was horrible looking around the commode, not cleaned properly. The TV was an old CRT type, and the picture broke up continually until my husband tightened up the cables.
There were a lot of rough-looking characters hanging around the parking lot. Fortunately my husband is 6-2 and 200 lbs so not likely to be bothered, but we did take all our belongings into the room which we usually don't do when traveling and only staying one night. We also put the chair up against the door knob!
My husband commented that he was surprised that they didn't rent out the rooms by the hour, they were so bad, so the flop house comment in the other review is spot on. Also it is right on I-20 and very noisy all night long, so even if the rooms were OK, it would not be a good place to stay anyway.

I could barely sleep and we left very early the next morning. We didn't even bother with a shower. All they had was coffee and it was also awful, even though the web site said they offered a breakfast. We stopped at the McDonalds a few blocks into town.
I agree with the other reviewers regarding the people staying at the hotel. The problem is that there are a lot of oil-field workers who need accommodation because of the boom in the shale gas drilling and fracking. It is a similar problem in many such places in Texas and had driven up demand and prices. The Holiday Inn was at $180/night and a new LaQuinta was $210. This is crazy in a place like Big Spring, Texas, but they can get it if the oil companies are paying.
The people who can't afford that have to accept the squalor at the cheaper place.
The old adage applies "you get what you pay for."

I am amazed that Motel 6 is allowing this to go on in one of their properties, and that the local inspectors have not closed it down.
Do not stay here under any circumstances, especially females alone or with children.
Maybe OK for the roughneck types, one or two tough guys who don't care about the conditions.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My family and I are on our way to the west coast from the east coast. It was almost midnight and we decided to get a hotel/motel so we can get a bit of a rest. This was the only place with a reasonable price for a 1 night stay. The room was clean enough and the guy at the check in was friendly enough. Around 6 am we heard the door being opened a few times, luckily the security latch was on. My husband got out of the room and i stayed inside with our kids. The lady that works here said that our room was not on thier computer and asked for our reciept, our room was booked by other people that morning. She did apologised but I was already freaking out because people tried getting in our room. I am very tired and could not go back to sleep because of this event. Luckily, we wont be staying at this motel anymore. I hope that this doesnt happen often because its one way of scaring off customers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Big Spring, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear dheev - We apologize for the double-booking mistake and for the unpleasant experience you had as a result. Thank you for writing your review. We take your feedback very seriously and will take it into consideration as we work to improve our guests' experience with us.
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

This place is more like a great depression work camp then a motel. It appears that construction and oil crew families live in the motel by the week. Dirty half naked kids run up and down the property while women sit on the walkways in lawn chairs. Men are coming and going in dirty work clothes screaming back and forth and room doors are slung open to accomodate broken air conditioners. Our room toilet had urine in the bowl and yellow stains inside and outside the toilet bowl. Mold was in the bathroom and the flooring, throughout, was so dirty it was sticky to the touch. The security lock to the door had been torn off and the plastic curtains were brown with dirt. We had to prop the single desk chair against the door for security. The TV had to be 15 years old. Terrible terrible place. They should not be allowed to use the Motel 6 logo. From my perspective this motel could best be described as a flop house.

• Stayed July 2013
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Big Spring, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear bikeman4147 - Thank you for taking the time to post your review. The cleanliness and maintenance issues you encountered are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6, and we sincerely apologize for your unpleasant stay. Please kindly contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide our guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.
Big Spring, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

First, I'm not a Super 8 girl, period. But this was the only hotel with good pricing everybody else was asking for an outrageous price?????The facility had easy on/off access to the interstate, and check in was no problem. The bed was comfortable, and the room had been recently renovated , new frige , microwave and flat screen tvs. Clean and tidy everything worked, pillows good, linens freshly laundered, internet is fast, and A/C was wonderful. Room is small, but by myself. I'd stay here again in a pinch.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Keosauqua, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The facility had easy on/off access to the interstate, and check in was no problem. The bed was comfortable, and the room had been recently painted, but the rest of the amenities could stand to be replaced. The bath area was clean but in poor repair. The refrigerator freezer section door was missing and it needed defrosting. The TV was old with only a mediocre picture. The carpeting may have been vacuumed, but was stained and probably the item most in need of replacement. This facility at best is adequate, but not attractive.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Terlingua, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

and in this case it was terrible. I'd gone to Big Spring TX to the VA hospital there so was a bit antsy to begin with.
Big Spring is in the oil patch so a lot of big trucks was no surprise - but they were all over, blocking traffic and in general trying to act like a VolksWagen.
Check in was no problem as I had a reservation.
Got to the room and the lights were out - from the light switch by the door - only the light by the bathroom came on.
WiFi - what wifi, it was there, but so slow and poor quality as to be unusable. Couldn't even check email - gave up after about 15 minutes!
Shower - even with the shower curtain in the shower cubicle I got out to water all over the floor. Looked like it was coming under the retaining barrier.
Forget it, I'll watch a movie and go to bed - I wish! the TV worked but the remote didn't.
All in all, if this were my only experience with Motel 6 it would have been my last. Thankfully this is an exception to a normally good, clean, inexpensive chain.

Room Tip: Being in the oil patch, I expected a lot of traffic. They have to get up and go at all hours of the...