“Current Oil Boom is Affecting this Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1102 IH 20 West, Big Spring, TX 79720   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Big Spring
Phoenix
“Current Oil Boom is Affecting this Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I travel several times a year to Big Spring and have stayed in several of the local hotels. Before you stay anywhere in Big Spring, you need to know that the current oil boom in the area has drastically changed the availability, the price and the quality of many of the local hotels. It is difficult to find any decent hotel in area for less than about $175.00 a night. This may be sticker shock for some-- one expects to pay those high prices when you travel to large cities with loads of fun things to do and lots of ammenities. You don't expect to pay that rate at a La Quinta Inn.

With that said, my review is written to compare this hotel to the others in the given climate. This is NOT my first choice when I travel to Big Spring.

Here are my concerns during my recent stay:

1. The sheets were worn and pilled-- there were little balls of worn off cotton on the main part of the fitted sheet. Very disconcerting and slightly itchy. The sheets were not changed during my stay even though I removed the sign that said "save water and keep this on the bed so we don't change the sheets"

2. The breakfast was extremely picked over each morning. I am guessing this is because the hotel seemed to filled with extremely large hard working oil men, but for the prices they are charging, could they fill the cereal container more frequently PLEASE? Very little fruit-- I think I got one bruised apple the entire week.

3. All the Ice Machines are not working in the hotel. When I wanted ice one night, I was told to see the front desk. The nice little gal took me back to the kitchen, where they had one very small 5 lb bag of ice for the whole hotel. The desk clerk told me "take only what I needed-- this is all I have all night" She later explained that they could not keep the machines working because the oil rig workers fill their large coolers and take it all. So they unplugged them all! (sigh) So, let me understand...$200 a night, and no ice machines?

4. Parking: The parking lot is kinda small for a hotel this size. Especially with the extremely large trucks of the oil workers. If you don't get a parking spot before 6pm, you will have to away from the main entrance-- which requires you to walk around the whole hotel. (They lock completely all the doors of the hotel except for the front entrance) I did not feel comfortable as an unaccompanied female after dark to make that walk.

5. Security: After 8pm I was very disconcerted to see a very very very young female working alone at the front desk. When I say young, I mean she looked seriously like she was 14 years old. Extremely short and small. My point here is that most of the hotel was filled with large men from all over who have come to work in this area for a relatively short period of time. They are away from their familes, etc. It seriously didnt make me feel secure or safe to have this young person be the only person at the front desk in the middle of the night. Again, for the rates they are charging, they can afford to have more than one person working in that environment late at night.

Overall, I would stay here again if I did not have another choice. I felt taken advantage of in some way-- like they took my high rates because they could, and then offered the bare minimum they could. I do not feel that way when I stay at other hotels in this area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Boise, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

During a recent business trip, the weather caused me to want to stop in Big Springs, TX! That was a GAINT mistake. Wind, sand and snow, I was told by the desk staff their BEST rate was $202.00 per night. Sorry but unless you are washing my car, doing my laundry and carrying me to my room. No Room in West Texas is worth this! Beware of the great grandchildren of Jessy James, have an Inn in Big Springs, TX.!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
javera1961, Revenue Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Big Spring, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Thanks for your review. It's always helpful to hear from our guests and we appreciate your staying with us! With the tremendous demand for hotel rooms in Big Spring sand the surrounding areas, prices have increased, but we're still one of the best values in town. I'm sure that you shopped around for a room and found that we still offered one of the best deals around. We hope your business trip was successful and we'll be happy to accomodate you if you make another trip through Big Springs.
SAN ANTONIO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

This is a Quality hotel, immaculate, friendly accomadating Staff, excellent customer service and the breakfast was a real spread, scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, waffles, cereal, yogurt, pastries, plenty of coffee and orange juice. I definitely recommend it. The mattress and pillows were the best we have ever slept on, called them back to get the brand!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Stayed in Big Spring as they had Exec. King Handicapped Rooms available [and San Angelo didn't]. Room was extra spacious, clean, and comfortable. Check in was speedy. Required a shower chair and that was provided in a timely manner. Breakfast was one of the best we have had at a La Quinta....the lady working the breakfast area continually stocked items and sanitized tables after each use. Staff was very friendly and informative.
Can't wait to return to the Big Spring - San Angelo area again....we will be staying here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We weren't sure when we would stop for the night so we had no reservation, but rates at most of the hotels in Big Spring seemed very high. The rate for the La Quinta was much more reasonable and we were very glad we picked this hotel. The room was clean. The bathroom was updated and had lots of countertop space (granite). The bed was comfortable. Our only complaint was a loud TV in the next room but fortunately they turned in off by 10:30. The breakfast was good and had a nice selection. The staff was friendly and efficient. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Big Spring? Share your experiences!