“RV Space” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Serengeti Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bergheim
The Serengeti Resort
You added The Serengeti Resort to your Saves list
408 Fuller Dr, Bergheim, TX 78006   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bergheim
Lubbock, Texas
“RV Space”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We were so glad to see that they offered RV space's since we travel alot with our 5th wheel . But boy were we shocked at there RV set up . They only have 5 space's of which only one had a picinic table and there are no grill's for cooking . The water hose's were not even underground , blue hose ran from one site to the other above ground . Was supposed to be 30 Amp [ they do not have 50 Amp ] and we doubt it was a full 30 Amp's due to our A/C not being able to keep our camper cool . This is a $40 site at best and not worth the $75 they charge . This place has a beautiful lodge and surrounding's . The pool needed .cleaning the water was alittle murky and the hot tub was dirty and not working . Seem short on staff . Loved taking the cart out to see the animal's and fell completly in love with Clyde the camel ! Would be nice if there was a place to get food and drink's [ non alcohol ] other then there expensive dinner .

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My family and I stayed at Serengeti Resort using a Living Social deal for a two night stay in a tentalow. We were very impressed with the resort. The grounds are lovely and the lodge is decorated beautifully. The staff was very friendly, but not intrusive at all. We felt very much at home and welcome during our stay. We did not get the impression that the staff was unfriendly, they just kept to themselves unless we needed something. It felt like we had the resort to ourselves. It was lovely!

We weren't really sure what to expect for our lodging. The tentalow was an old military tent- so very spacious and sturdy. It had window flaps and door flaps that can fold up for fresh air or zip up completely to keep the bugs out. We did discover a visitor both nights- a sweet little cat that has adopted Serengeti Resort as his home. This little guy was able to sneak into our tent no matter how much we zipped and sealed the doors. :) We didn't mind though because he was really sweet and cuddly. The tentalow had two queen size beds with clean linens. The beds were very comfortable. We did have a problem with our AC unit but the staff replaced it with a working unit when we told them. Unfortunately our electric box was broken, so an extension cord ran to the next tentalow to provide power for us. The neighbors weren't aware of this, so they unplugged the cord and we were really hot the first day. Not a big deal though since the issue was resolved the second day. Our tentalow had a deck with a couple of chairs, a grill, and a rock fire pit for roasting marshmallows. It was also close to the fence, so we had animals just yards away from us for a lot of our stay.

The bath house was a short walk from our tent and was stocked with clean towels, soaps and shampoos the entire time we were there. The lodge and swimming pool were also a short walk from our tent and we used them both a lot. A very nice continental breakfast was served both mornings we stayed- at no charge. We did take advantage of the steak dinner offered one night. It was delicious. My kids are still talking about that steak.

We really enjoyed the drive thru safari. I will agree with the other reviewers though- the ostriches are creepy. They are very eager to get at the feed bags and are not shy at all about coming right up to the safari carts. They scared my kids, but we didn't feel like we were in danger at any time. The animals were just awesome. We saw the giraffe, two friendly zebras, a giant camel, lots of deer-like critters (including a new baby), and the crazy ostriches. We even got to see one of the momma ostriches nest of eggs. She stood up and let us see the eggs, but she didn't leave them- what a good momma.

Overall, I think the Serengeti resort is a very unique and special place to take the family. I am not sure that we would be willing to pay full price to go back, but it was definitely worth the price we paid on LivingSocial. I do understand the pricing though, because the resort can not accommodate a great number of people at once, and I imagine the upkeep must be outrageously expensive. My family and I agree that we would love to go back to Serengeti Resort. It was an awesome experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Serengeti Resort at the beginning of a hot, Texas hill-country summer. We slept in an "Outfitter" tent advertised as a canvas one that could accommodate up to four people. Note that this means two adults and two kids, because four adults would kill each other in it. The tent itself was on a basic wooden platform, had two decently made double beds, a lamp and a portable air conditioner that stirred and cooled the air somewhat. However, our tent was made of nylon - not canvas - and that makes a huge difference in the heat.

Speaking of heat, the women's bath house was very air conditioned, tiled in stone and clean. Nice shampoo, conditioner and soaps are provided. Showers have changing areas with curtains. Minor problems are the lack of sinks, mirrors and outlets (only one of each) and the towels. They were not consistently stocked, so consider bringing your own.

Dinner each night is a set menu in the lodge. This night it was salmon or steak, with sides and a dessert (about $70 plus tip, per person) . Ours was very good, but be sure to make reservations for it, as they only buy enough food each day for those who did. A continental breakfast is provided for free.

The animals were few, but appeared to be well cared for and clean. I didn't rent the golf cart to see the animals up close, but if you have kids, they would probably appreciate it. The price of the cart seemed to be based on the number of passengers in it, so I heard the quoted price fluctuate.

Disappointments: Their pool was very dirty due to malfunctioning equipment, and had been for a couple of weeks, according to one of the staff. A sign posting this in the pool area would have been helpful.

Positives: Very helpful and friendly staff.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay at the Serengeti Resort. Our accomodations were huge, clean, and very comfortable. Going out on a golf cart to visit the animals (which we did quite a few times) was always a great adventure! We made good friends with the camel, who came to eat right out of my hand. Watch out for the surly male ostrich though! The pool was relaxing, albeit shallow. The grounds were very well-manicured and peaceful with beautiful flowers and huge, stately oaks. Breakfast was a very nice ammenity, because the nearest town is a little bit of a hike. Boerne is that nearest town, and there is a lot to do there as well. The internet signal is weak unless you are near the main lodge.

I quickly discovered that the expansive property surrounding the resort is a great place to explore and find birds. There is a mixture of habitat inc. grassland, oak woodland, juniper woodland, and even a few small ponds. Highlights included Roadrunner, Black-bellied Whistling Duck, Golden-fronted Woodpecker, Eastern Phoebe, Ash-throated Flycatcher, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Vermilion Flycatcher, Painted Bunting, and Purple Martin. You don't have to go on treks like me though. Many of these birds can easily be seen from the parking lot or around the oaks surrounding the main lodge. Overall, an amazing place to stay for adventure and relaxation!

Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I attended the resort with Bigmistake 3. In reading all of the reviews, I find it quite humorous how defensive the owner is about anything critical.
I have personal knowledge that this reservation was made on the phone, several months earlier. As the holiday approached and the resort had increased interest, they attempted to enforce the black out days mere weeks before we were scheduled to arrive.

The owners son reassured us - by phone on more than one occasion that our voucher would be accepted (although the owner informed us after wards that her son has no say in approving vouchers....than why have him return calls?). We had our stay, checked out and ran our credit card for the meal and wine,.

Upon return, the owner charged an extra $700 to his credit card, with out a signature or a verbal authorization. I believe this is what both the credit card company and the BBB referred to as illegal, fraud, an unethical. This is absolutely akin to theft.

They run their poor morining staff ragged with breakfast and chores - and then have several people milling about in the evenings.

BTW, one camel (who is not native to the serenghetti), a couple of ostriches and some dear - do not conjur up thoughts of the Serenghetti:

Shame on you for your treatment of guests, staff, and reviewers!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Round Rock, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We didn't get to stay long, but the place was clean and the animals were awesome! They ate right out our hands. If you want privacy though..get the bungalo..nice, quiet retreat! The decor was very beautiful and I would recommend to family and friends who wanna get away from it all.

Allen, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Our family had a fantastic time! I was so worried when I read these reviews, but I'm so glad we went! When we arrived the staff was very welcoming, walked us to the our pool suite, brought us back some bottles of water and cot for my little guy. The room was clean, cool and cozy. After arriving we all went for short swim (the pool was clean). Then, we rented a golf cart for $25 an hour to go on our safari. We loved the safari and did it about 3-4 times during our trip. It is both a unique and creative way to get in touch with nature and to achieve some quality family time. Also, The staff was nice enough to allow us to split the time before dinner and after dinner. Speaking of dinner, that was fabulous....steak, salmon and bbq chicken with potatoes and veggies. I am still craving the steak! We stayed for for two nights, then on the the third day we left to go to Old Bridges Cavern. We would have done the river tubing but it was a bit cool and rainy on the second day. I do wish I would have brought some family board games, but still found things to do. We loved The Serengeti Resort and highly recommend it to families.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Serengeti Resort? Share your experiences!