“An Unconventional Travel Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Serengeti Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bergheim
The Serengeti Resort
You added The Serengeti Resort to your Saves list
408 Fuller Dr, Bergheim, TX 78006   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bergheim
Austin, Texas
“An Unconventional Travel Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Serengeti Resort at the beginning of a hot, Texas hill-country summer. We slept in an "Outfitter" tent advertised as a canvas one that could accommodate up to four people. Note that this means two adults and two kids, because four adults would kill each other in it. The tent itself was on a basic wooden platform, had two decently made double beds, a lamp and a portable air conditioner that stirred and cooled the air somewhat. However, our tent was made of nylon - not canvas - and that makes a huge difference in the heat.

Speaking of heat, the women's bath house was very air conditioned, tiled in stone and clean. Nice shampoo, conditioner and soaps are provided. Showers have changing areas with curtains. Minor problems are the lack of sinks, mirrors and outlets (only one of each) and the towels. They were not consistently stocked, so consider bringing your own.

Dinner each night is a set menu in the lodge. This night it was salmon or steak, with sides and a dessert (about $70 plus tip, per person) . Ours was very good, but be sure to make reservations for it, as they only buy enough food each day for those who did. A continental breakfast is provided for free.

The animals were few, but appeared to be well cared for and clean. I didn't rent the golf cart to see the animals up close, but if you have kids, they would probably appreciate it. The price of the cart seemed to be based on the number of passengers in it, so I heard the quoted price fluctuate.

Disappointments: Their pool was very dirty due to malfunctioning equipment, and had been for a couple of weeks, according to one of the staff. A sign posting this in the pool area would have been helpful.

Positives: Very helpful and friendly staff.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay at the Serengeti Resort. Our accomodations were huge, clean, and very comfortable. Going out on a golf cart to visit the animals (which we did quite a few times) was always a great adventure! We made good friends with the camel, who came to eat right out of my hand. Watch out for the surly male ostrich though! The pool was relaxing, albeit shallow. The grounds were very well-manicured and peaceful with beautiful flowers and huge, stately oaks. Breakfast was a very nice ammenity, because the nearest town is a little bit of a hike. Boerne is that nearest town, and there is a lot to do there as well. The internet signal is weak unless you are near the main lodge.

I quickly discovered that the expansive property surrounding the resort is a great place to explore and find birds. There is a mixture of habitat inc. grassland, oak woodland, juniper woodland, and even a few small ponds. Highlights included Roadrunner, Black-bellied Whistling Duck, Golden-fronted Woodpecker, Eastern Phoebe, Ash-throated Flycatcher, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Vermilion Flycatcher, Painted Bunting, and Purple Martin. You don't have to go on treks like me though. Many of these birds can easily be seen from the parking lot or around the oaks surrounding the main lodge. Overall, an amazing place to stay for adventure and relaxation!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I attended the resort with Bigmistake 3. In reading all of the reviews, I find it quite humorous how defensive the owner is about anything critical.
I have personal knowledge that this reservation was made on the phone, several months earlier. As the holiday approached and the resort had increased interest, they attempted to enforce the black out days mere weeks before we were scheduled to arrive.

The owners son reassured us - by phone on more than one occasion that our voucher would be accepted (although the owner informed us after wards that her son has no say in approving vouchers....than why have him return calls?). We had our stay, checked out and ran our credit card for the meal and wine,.

Upon return, the owner charged an extra $700 to his credit card, with out a signature or a verbal authorization. I believe this is what both the credit card company and the BBB referred to as illegal, fraud, an unethical. This is absolutely akin to theft.

They run their poor morining staff ragged with breakfast and chores - and then have several people milling about in the evenings.

BTW, one camel (who is not native to the serenghetti), a couple of ostriches and some dear - do not conjur up thoughts of the Serenghetti:

Shame on you for your treatment of guests, staff, and reviewers!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Round Rock, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We didn't get to stay long, but the place was clean and the animals were awesome! They ate right out our hands. If you want privacy though..get the bungalo..nice, quiet retreat! The decor was very beautiful and I would recommend to family and friends who wanna get away from it all.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Allen, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Our family had a fantastic time! I was so worried when I read these reviews, but I'm so glad we went! When we arrived the staff was very welcoming, walked us to the our pool suite, brought us back some bottles of water and cot for my little guy. The room was clean, cool and cozy. After arriving we all went for short swim (the pool was clean). Then, we rented a golf cart for $25 an hour to go on our safari. We loved the safari and did it about 3-4 times during our trip. It is both a unique and creative way to get in touch with nature and to achieve some quality family time. Also, The staff was nice enough to allow us to split the time before dinner and after dinner. Speaking of dinner, that was fabulous....steak, salmon and bbq chicken with potatoes and veggies. I am still craving the steak! We stayed for for two nights, then on the the third day we left to go to Old Bridges Cavern. We would have done the river tubing but it was a bit cool and rainy on the second day. I do wish I would have brought some family board games, but still found things to do. We loved The Serengeti Resort and highly recommend it to families.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Montgomery, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Please read the other negative reviews and then please read the sarcastic and name-calling responses left by the owner and you'll see the same treatment we received.

Serengeti resort doesn't know what it's supposed to be. Their website and their verbage make it out to be a four star resort. But when you get there, it takes on an entirely new appearance. Some places feel like a resort, others feel like a bed and breakfast and everything else feels like a campground. My story is a lot like many of the other negative reviews - we had a living social discount that was not honored, even though we were assured multiple times by their staff that it would be.

They claim to have internet, but it's spotty to poor at best. We had 5 devices between the three of us and we rarely had connection.

When we were there, the pool was broken and looked like a swamp -and even though things like that can't be helped, we were offered no compensation.

Our room was "tidy" but it wasn't "clean." Germaphobes please not that our room had hardwood floors and the cleaning staff doesn't dust under the bed, so it was thick with dust balls. Our bathroom sink was loose from the wall and one of the wall socket plates was completely missing. (which is not so great when you're traveling with a small child)

The website features 2 giraffes. We asked the nice lady at the front desk and she told us that they have never had 2 giraffes. Only one. So to count, they have some cool deer, and 1 giraffe, some mean ostriches, 1 camel and.... 2 sad lemurs in a dirty cage.

The safari and meals were over priced for our pocket book and every day we were there, we felt compelled to leave and spend our time someplace else.

The last morning we were there, I came in to the lodge for breakfast and there were still dishes on the tables from the night before. I felt so bad for the lone employee that was doing everything that I helped her out and bussed the table.

And the thing is, we gave the owner the chance to "make good" on this. We explained our situation - all we wanted was our cost adjusted for the living social deal, but the owner refused and when we told her that if we were not treated fairly we might leave some negative remarks - the owner called my wife names and hung up on her.

In closing:
Understaffed
Overpriced
Dirty
Rude
1 Giraffe.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
lorilynne62, Owner at The Serengeti Resort, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
This is part of the same group that wasn't allowed to use their livingsocial vouchers on Memorial Weekend. It was a theme among theme to scream as loudly as possibly to make sure we understood they could force us to honor their vouchers during black out dates. So therefore they just raised their voice to epic decimal levels. I did NOT call her a bad name. I did tell her she was screaming like a small child. My sarcasm is actually....disgust. Hundreds were told they couldn't use their vouchers during Memorial weekend. Hundreds didn't throw hissy fits. These people like several below use hysteria as a weapon to get their way. That may work at other large resorts, but not here. I am a very reasonable owner, very. IF you have a legitimate complaint, we will do what we can to help you. But if you want to change the rules (and by the way we have very few) and not have them apply to you as they do to the rest of he public...it's just not gonna happen here. Ever. And truthfully, I do not respond well to screeching.

The pool was terrible memorial weekend. we had 10 inches that Saturday and our pool is surround by huge live oak trees. The leaves and branches that fell into the pool clogged the pump burned it to shreds. It was memorial weekend and we couldn't get a pool company to even come look a it until the following Tuesday. It was a several week period before we could get it up and operational again. But is up and running perfectly now.

The irony of this...I offered her to come back at another time during the off season at no charge. A couple of expletives later....she hung up on me.
Arlington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We had a great time! The place is beautiful and we loved the animals. You can rent a golf cart at $25 for an hour and drive around the property and feed the animals. An hour is plenty of time. Someone mentioned that some of the golf carts didn't work, but we had no problems getting them to run. (You just have to use the choke to get it started.) We all piled into two carts and drove out to the area where the animals are located. There's a giraffe, a couple of zebras, a camel, ostriches and a bunch of deer. The giraffe and camel came right up to us and were so gentle eating out of our hands. It was truly amazing. There's also a couple of lemurs by the office. I brought a couple of bananas with me and we really enjoyed feeding them. They were so cute! The lemurs loved the bananas and would reach out to grab them. The animals of course were the highlight of the trip, but I always find it helpful to know exactly how the rooms are set up in the cabins so I know what to pack, so here goes: we stayed in the Hilltop cabin. It was very nice. There were three bedrooms and two bathrooms, so plenty of room for the 5 of us. The first bedroom had a queen sized bed, TV and an attached full bathroom, the second bedroom had two twin beds and a third bedroom with two sets of bunk beds and a little youth bed. The kitchen had a coffee maker, microwave and full sized fridge, there was a living room with a TV, and another full sized bathroom. If we stayed there longer, I would have brought a DVD player to watch some movies. The cabin is a little off to the side, not directly facing the area in which the animals graze. The two bungalows face the grazing area directly. I think next time we will try out a bungalow. We were provided with a continental breakfast in the morning too. Bagels, Danish, rolls, oatmeal, boiled eggs and coffee, tea, milk and juice. The dining area looks out on the property so you have a great view of the animals while you are eating. While we were there the power went out in the entire area for the couple of hours so we got some candles from the staff and roasted smores in the fire pit outside our cabin; the front door of the cabin would stick a little, but we learned to give it a little shove and it would open; and we did see a couple of scorpions, but hey you are in the hill country. I’m only mentioning these things because I read some of the other more critical reviews and want people know that even though things were not perfect, (I’ve never been to a place that was) we had a great time and definitely will go back again. It was an experience of a lifetime to be able to feed a giraffe out of your hand like that. Honestly, I don't think you can get an experience like that anywhere else.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Serengeti Resort? Share your experiences!