“Great Family Getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Serengeti Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bergheim
The Serengeti Resort
408 Fuller Dr, Bergheim, TX 78006   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Bergheim
Allen, Texas
“Great Family Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Our family had a fantastic time! I was so worried when I read these reviews, but I'm so glad we went! When we arrived the staff was very welcoming, walked us to the our pool suite, brought us back some bottles of water and cot for my little guy. The room was clean, cool and cozy. After arriving we all went for short swim (the pool was clean). Then, we rented a golf cart for $25 an hour to go on our safari. We loved the safari and did it about 3-4 times during our trip. It is both a unique and creative way to get in touch with nature and to achieve some quality family time. Also, The staff was nice enough to allow us to split the time before dinner and after dinner. Speaking of dinner, that was fabulous....steak, salmon and bbq chicken with potatoes and veggies. I am still craving the steak! We stayed for for two nights, then on the the third day we left to go to Old Bridges Cavern. We would have done the river tubing but it was a bit cool and rainy on the second day. I do wish I would have brought some family board games, but still found things to do. We loved The Serengeti Resort and highly recommend it to families.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

118 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Montgomery, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Please read the other negative reviews and then please read the sarcastic and name-calling responses left by the owner and you'll see the same treatment we received.

Serengeti resort doesn't know what it's supposed to be. Their website and their verbage make it out to be a four star resort. But when you get there, it takes on an entirely new appearance. Some places feel like a resort, others feel like a bed and breakfast and everything else feels like a campground. My story is a lot like many of the other negative reviews - we had a living social discount that was not honored, even though we were assured multiple times by their staff that it would be.

They claim to have internet, but it's spotty to poor at best. We had 5 devices between the three of us and we rarely had connection.

When we were there, the pool was broken and looked like a swamp -and even though things like that can't be helped, we were offered no compensation.

Our room was "tidy" but it wasn't "clean." Germaphobes please not that our room had hardwood floors and the cleaning staff doesn't dust under the bed, so it was thick with dust balls. Our bathroom sink was loose from the wall and one of the wall socket plates was completely missing. (which is not so great when you're traveling with a small child)

The website features 2 giraffes. We asked the nice lady at the front desk and she told us that they have never had 2 giraffes. Only one. So to count, they have some cool deer, and 1 giraffe, some mean ostriches, 1 camel and.... 2 sad lemurs in a dirty cage.

The safari and meals were over priced for our pocket book and every day we were there, we felt compelled to leave and spend our time someplace else.

The last morning we were there, I came in to the lodge for breakfast and there were still dishes on the tables from the night before. I felt so bad for the lone employee that was doing everything that I helped her out and bussed the table.

And the thing is, we gave the owner the chance to "make good" on this. We explained our situation - all we wanted was our cost adjusted for the living social deal, but the owner refused and when we told her that if we were not treated fairly we might leave some negative remarks - the owner called my wife names and hung up on her.

In closing:
Understaffed
Overpriced
Dirty
Rude
1 Giraffe.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
lorilynne62, Owner at The Serengeti Resort, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
This is part of the same group that wasn't allowed to use their livingsocial vouchers on Memorial Weekend. It was a theme among theme to scream as loudly as possibly to make sure we understood they could force us to honor their vouchers during black out dates. So therefore they just raised their voice to epic decimal levels. I did NOT call her a bad name. I did tell her she was screaming like a small child. My sarcasm is actually....disgust. Hundreds were told they couldn't use their vouchers during Memorial weekend. Hundreds didn't throw hissy fits. These people like several below use hysteria as a weapon to get their way. That may work at other large resorts, but not here. I am a very reasonable owner, very. IF you have a legitimate complaint, we will do what we can to help you. But if you want to change the rules (and by the way we have very few) and not have them apply to you as they do to the rest of he public...it's just not gonna happen here. Ever. And truthfully, I do not respond well to screeching.

The pool was terrible memorial weekend. we had 10 inches that Saturday and our pool is surround by huge live oak trees. The leaves and branches that fell into the pool clogged the pump burned it to shreds. It was memorial weekend and we couldn't get a pool company to even come look a it until the following Tuesday. It was a several week period before we could get it up and operational again. But is up and running perfectly now.

The irony of this...I offered her to come back at another time during the off season at no charge. A couple of expletives later....she hung up on me.

Travelers are raving about these Bergheim hotels

Arlington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We had a great time! The place is beautiful and we loved the animals. You can rent a golf cart at $25 for an hour and drive around the property and feed the animals. An hour is plenty of time. Someone mentioned that some of the golf carts didn't work, but we had no problems getting them to run. (You just have to use the choke to get it started.) We all piled into two carts and drove out to the area where the animals are located. There's a giraffe, a couple of zebras, a camel, ostriches and a bunch of deer. The giraffe and camel came right up to us and were so gentle eating out of our hands. It was truly amazing. There's also a couple of lemurs by the office. I brought a couple of bananas with me and we really enjoyed feeding them. They were so cute! The lemurs loved the bananas and would reach out to grab them. The animals of course were the highlight of the trip, but I always find it helpful to know exactly how the rooms are set up in the cabins so I know what to pack, so here goes: we stayed in the Hilltop cabin. It was very nice. There were three bedrooms and two bathrooms, so plenty of room for the 5 of us. The first bedroom had a queen sized bed, TV and an attached full bathroom, the second bedroom had two twin beds and a third bedroom with two sets of bunk beds and a little youth bed. The kitchen had a coffee maker, microwave and full sized fridge, there was a living room with a TV, and another full sized bathroom. If we stayed there longer, I would have brought a DVD player to watch some movies. The cabin is a little off to the side, not directly facing the area in which the animals graze. The two bungalows face the grazing area directly. I think next time we will try out a bungalow. We were provided with a continental breakfast in the morning too. Bagels, Danish, rolls, oatmeal, boiled eggs and coffee, tea, milk and juice. The dining area looks out on the property so you have a great view of the animals while you are eating. While we were there the power went out in the entire area for the couple of hours so we got some candles from the staff and roasted smores in the fire pit outside our cabin; the front door of the cabin would stick a little, but we learned to give it a little shove and it would open; and we did see a couple of scorpions, but hey you are in the hill country. I’m only mentioning these things because I read some of the other more critical reviews and want people know that even though things were not perfect, (I’ve never been to a place that was) we had a great time and definitely will go back again. It was an experience of a lifetime to be able to feed a giraffe out of your hand like that. Honestly, I don't think you can get an experience like that anywhere else.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I commonly camp & I stay in hostels as much as hotels, so I'm okay with a wide variety of options, but this pretended to be a luxury getaway, but it was repeatedly lame.

The pool was unusable, as were most of the carts. Our tent was awful. The carpet was missing in spots, and most of it was soaking wet. The beds were okay, but the tent (#4) was amazingly loud! It was quit windy, and the tent is set up too loose & it sags, so the wind snapped it around all night. We would have been much better off bringing our own tent.

The main building is really quite beautiful, and they try to play up the luxury of it all, but the reality of the accommodations just isn't up to what they are trying to portray. $169 a night was very overpriced for the reality. Stop in at evening time, check out the animals, and then go stay somewhere else, I'm sorry to say.

• Stayed May 2013
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Arrived on May 24th thru the 26th. Used a Living Social voucher that was excepted my their reservationist even though though I found out that these were blacout dates. Reservations were confirmed 3 times and by the owner's son verablly twice. Owner charged my credit card FULL price after I returned home. Food was terrible and things did not work in the room.Owner wanted to be paid for both nights after Living Social voucher was presented and accepted on 5 different occasions. I called 3 days before my departure to confirm my reservations and was told everything was ok "come on down". Exremely short staffed and good luck gettingb thru to their 1 phone

Room Tip: stay a way and get rates in writing
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
lorilynne62, Owner at The Serengeti Resort, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Mercy, what a twisted view of what really happened. This reservation was made online, even though it was clear on the voucher when he bought it, that Memorial weekend was a BLACKOUT date. He made his reservation online. We then called, left a message and emailed him that he could not use his voucher for those dates. He then called and verbally beat up the owners son, and after being under-advisement that he would NOT be able to use his voucher for those dates, he insisted on coming anyway. The poor girl behind the register was scared to death of his aggressive behavior and after about all of that garbage I could handle I explained to him what 'rules' are and billed him. Would have let him use his voucher at another time, but this has to be one of the rudest humans ever to drive thru our gate and we reserve the right to NOT let him come back. If you can be just a hair above civil if you have a dispute about something, we will bend over backwards to help you resolve your issues. You spit when you scream like a child you will be escorted to the curb.
Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was looking forward to this trip and left disappointed. We stayed in tentalow #1 and was surprised it was just a screened building. Our girls were looking forward to swimming and seeing the animals. As soon as we arrived we were told the pool was broken. We went to our tentalow and there were LARGE spiders in the beds. I understand because we camp quite a bit but I was understanding this was deluxe camping. The first night one of the bed frame collapsed and its more like pads than mattresses. Then the next morning we went to rent a golf cart and was told the new policy is $25 per hour or $150 for our stay. I said I was told when we made our reservation it was $50 per day. After talking about all the issues they then relented and honored the $50. I did feel bad for the girl at the front desk because she was alone that morning. If you go make sure you bring your won towels because the women's bathroom was constantly out. We called at 8am and at 3pm still no towels. If you do go and want the outfitter tents 1&2 looked your best options. They completely zip up to keep bugs out and had ac unit. The tentalows didn't have ac units, just a ceiling fan but not powerful enough to really cool the whole building. The kids loved the animals though.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
This just shows you the difference between people. The review right below this one, the people came the exact same weekend. Stayed exactly same places. Totally different perspectives. All I can say is it is CAMPING.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were a multi-generational trip and everyone had great memories of our overnight stay there. I’ve been lucky to have traveled to Africa on multiple trips and I can attest that they are doing an amazing job capturing the simple spirit of Africa with a beautiful resort right here in the middle of the Hill Country.

They have some different animals that you can feed: a Giraffe, Zebras (2), a Camel, Ostriches, lemurs, and many antelope… and you can rent a golf cart for $50 a day to go on a game drive right in the middle of their grazing area. We basically had the giraffe in our cart with us. We went out on the game drive first thing in the morning when the animals are most hungry… so we were everyone’s best friend. You could also just buy feed the night before and it appears that the animals are smart enough to go towards the tents in the morning… so you can feed them through the fence right there too and not do the golf cart (though no guarantee).

I wouldn’t recommend spending a long time there… but it’s perfect for a night or two. Try to avoid a weekend if possible… sometimes they have weddings, which isn’t awful… but certainly does change the overall experience of being out in nature. Oh, and rates did include a nice continental breakfast and they gave us firewood (but from what I understand this isn’t guaranteed).

My views on the accommodations… These are all of their “outfitter” style places… they also have lodge & house accommodations for the less adventurous. All rooms include all linens, electricity, heaters, lamps, carpet/rugs.

Tent 1: Most secluded. Doesn’t offer any significant views from the tent… but the privacy would outweigh that. This is closest to the playground. But when I say closest, it doesn’t mean that you would be bothered by it… it just might be more ideal for folks that have kids who want to play.

Tent 2: In the middle of the cluster, though seemed well shaded.

Tent 3: Right at the fence line where the animals come. So from your firepit you could easily enjoy seeing some animals. This opens to a huge field. This was ours… and BTW, we even had an AC unit in here!

Tent 4: Newer tent structure which is different from the rest. Seemed a bit bigger, but the other three are plenty big. This opens to a huge field.

Tentalow 1: Private, viewing opportunity from your fire pit and room. Walls are half corrugated, and half screened… with solid barn wood shutters that can be lowered at night. The beds in here were less comfortable than the Tents. Seemed to have a great circulation of air. Overall very impressed with this unit, I would call it Rustic Lux Glamping. The rest of my family stayed here… and said it was wonderful.

Tentalow 2: Right next to Tentalow 1, but fire pit area would offer privacy. There are no wooden shutters on this one, but rather muslin looking curtains that can be drawn. I would imagine that this would be a bit more cold at night then Tentalow 1, and not way to really drown out noisy neighbors.

Everything is in walking distance. The bathhouse is probably 50ft from any of the accommodations. And the playscape is about 75ft (with the exception of Tent 1).

Room Tip: My views on the accommodations… These are all of their “outfitter” style places… they also have lodg...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Serengeti Resort? Share your experiences!